Postings by Bailey

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Behavior & Training > climbing the xmas tree!
Bailey

Whole Lotta Love

Purred: Sun Nov 29, '09 10:09pm PST 
At more than 15 lbs., I can have the tree down in minutes--I just climb near the top, then the tree falls over and all the pretty balls go rolling on the floor, and we can play "ornament hockey"!! But now Meowmy has taken the fun away--she took monofilament fishing line and secured the tree to 2 different spots on the window frame. Now when I climb it, it jiggles a bit, and an ornament or two may fall, but the lovely big CRASH never happens anymore. (Not nearly as much fun)!
[notify]

» There has since been 29 posts. Last posting by Chaucer, Dec 18 3:49 am

Behavior & Training > NEVER adopt a declawed cat (?)
Bailey

Whole Lotta Love

Purred: Fri Sep 25, '09 4:56am PST 
There are both clawed and declawed kitties in our house. The declawed ones came that way from the shelter (I am one of the declaws). I think most of the behavior is simply a cat's purrsonality; I am loving, mellow and sweet, love everyone, and never have litterbox issues. My housemate Sabrina, on the other hand (also declawed) is hissy and growly with the rest of us cats, but very attached to the humans here; meowmy thinks that she was an only cat for a long time (she was an older kitty when she came here to live) and simply would rather be the only cat in the house; but she is not destructive and has no potty issues. But some of that behavior could be due to her poor eyesight--she is blind in one eye and doesn't see things if they are to the left of her. The clawed cats, Lucy and Rocky (especially Rocky the rock star) can be kind of rowdy but never destructive, perfectly litter-trained, and also loving but independent--they are both tripods, each missing one leg. I think that just like people, we are all different; but "there's a lid for every pot" as they say, and there's a place for all of us, clawed or declawed, cheerful or crotchety, affectionate or stand-offish, clingy or independent. To advise people to never adopt a declawed cat would be to sentence all of the declaws in shelters to death rather than to work with their problems (if they have them at all). I think that opinion is uncaring, and not that of a true cat-lover.
[notify]

» There has since been 45 posts. Last posting by Alfie - Angel DB#14, Mar 18 10:51 am

Behavior & Training > Biting!

Bailey

Whole Lotta Love

Purred: Tue Sep 1, '09 7:50am PST 
Hey Bumpurr--I think the peroxide is for the human's bite wounds, not to spray Tyce with! laugh out loud shock
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Dusty, Sep 2 11:37 am

Choosing the Right Cat > BSH or Ragdoll?

Bailey

Whole Lotta Love

Purred: Mon May 18, '09 5:51am PST 
I love the Ragdoll purr-sonality, but please don't rule out acquiring your pet from a shelter or rescue. I happened across Bailey in a shelter after the death of my old cat; I was not specifically looking for any breed. I found a straggly-looking, young adult cat who was very friendly, and fell in love. At that time his coat was not very full, but showed promise of being full and fluffy (most of the medium-to-long-haired breeds have coats that don't fully mature until they are a couple years old), and the most striking blue eyes--I was hooked! It was only after I had him for a while that I started researching the Ragdoll breed; when the shelter said he was most likely a raggie-mix, I had no idea what that was, only that I wanted to take him home with me. Bailey is very dog-like, and is great with my six grandchildren, as well as the other cats and dogs in my house (see pictures on my page). His bunny-like fur needs brushing about once or twice a week, and he loves water (he will jump into the shower or bathtub with you unless you shut him out of the bathroom). He is the calmest, most laid-back and tolerant cat I have ever had, yet can be playful. But Ragdolls have no innate ability to defend themselves (this is one of their distinguishing characteristics), so they absolutely must be indoor-only cats!!!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bailey, May 18 5:51 am

Behavior & Training > She broke the x-mas tree...

Bailey

Whole Lotta Love

Purred: Sat Dec 6, '08 9:18pm PST 
Christmas trees---Oh Yay!! I'm a big boy, but I love to go to the center of the (artificial) tree and climb to the top (or as close to the top as I can get).wink Mom ties the tree up with fishing line to the curtain-rod brackets so it won't topple, but sometimes I get there before she does and CRASH!!! Her old kitty Stormy, who is now at the Bridge, taught her that the only way to keep the tree up was to tie it up. And now we have all unbreakable ornaments, since the three of us have broken a lot of the collector's ornaments she used to have.big laugh She has tried the oranges under the tree, the spray stuff that's supposed to repel cats, just about everything, all to no avail--she still finds us playing ornament hockey in the living and dining rooms!
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Jackson, Dec 15 4:47 pm

Cat Health > new rescue is declawed
Bailey

Whole Lotta Love

Purred: Sun Nov 2, '08 5:24am PST 
If she was declawed previously and her feet are healed, she should be able to use regular litter. (If she came from a shelter or rescue, ask what litter they used--we kitties aren't too fond of change). I was declawed before my Meowmy adopted me; I use the same litter as the other cats here (in fact we all share all the litter boxes). I still use the scratching post like the other cats, it exercises my paws and legs; I just don't have any claws to dig into it. Just be aware that some (not all; in fact, probably not even most) declawed cats will develop some behavior issues; biting in particular, as that is the only defense left to them after their claws are removed. I myself have no issues, in fact Meowmy says I'm the calmest kitty who's ever owned her.wink Just take your time and get to know your new family member, and be aware of any changes you may notice. Congratulations on your new addition!waveway to go
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Princess , Nov 3 12:09 am

Choosing the Right Cat > Which type of cat to get?

Bailey

Whole Lotta Love

Purred: Mon Sep 29, '08 9:27am PST 
There are three cats (and 2 dogs) in our house. We have 2 extra-large litterboxes in the laundry room. Mom scoops them morning and evening and adds litter as needed; then a complete change of litter about every 10-14 days. It can be a little stinky if one of us just pooped, but good quality food keeps the volume and odor of our stools to a minimum. Most people who come to our house don't even know it is owned by cats until they see us. As far as shedding, the two short-haired kitties shed more than I do, but we all get a going-over with the Furminator about once a week, and regular vacuuming takes care of the rest.
[notify]

» There has since been 82 posts. Last posting by Mr. Lollycat McNoNo, Jan 31 6:42 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > Which type of cat to get?

Bailey

Whole Lotta Love

Purred: Sun Sep 28, '08 10:45pm PST 
A kitty like me would meet almost all your requirements. I am very mellow, a "floor cat", hardly ever jump up high, (but I do love to lay on the coffee table). My hair is medium-long but doesn't mat; about a once-weekly brushing to keep my cotton-ey hair from shedding too much (except when my fur-siblings grab it and pull out a clump when we are playing.laugh out loud I am a ragdoll-mix and I came from a shelter. I love people; both adults and kids. I love dogs and other cats. And, oh yes, I love water too--I get in the shower with Meowmy or Daddy if I get a chance!shock
I agree with the other posters; a young adult cat is the way to go if you want to know exactly what you are getting. Lots of purebreds can be found in shelters too. And if you get a cat from a shelter, ask the people who work with them on a daily basis what the kitty's purrsonality is; they spend time with them every day, and can help guide your decision. Plus, if you get a cat from a shelter, you are quite literally saving a life!applause
[notify]

» There has since been 88 posts. Last posting by Mr. Lollycat McNoNo, Jan 31 6:42 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > Lost Identity...can you pls help find it?

Bailey

Whole Lotta Love

Purred: Fri Aug 29, '08 5:29pm PST 
Adopted kitties (especially from shelters) often just get the tag DSH, DLH, or DMH (domestic medium hair), simply because their heritage is unknown. Meowmy volunteers in a shelter, and more than 90% of the cats fall into these categories. Some will have visible breed traits; such as body size, color-pointed coats, eye color, certain fur growth patterns that can shed some light on at least part of the probable genetics involved.
In my case, I was young, and my coat hadn't yet matured, but my coloration, eye color, and certain personality traits indicated some Ragdoll in my genes. Otherwise, I would probably have been listed as a DMH instead of Ragdoll-mix. Most likely I have lots of Raggy in me; as my coat has matured, I look like one, am quite large, and I have the "limp-rag" move when picked up, and I have no concept of defending myself if I were to be threatened--my DSH housemates can torment the daylights out of me and I'll just lie there and let them!red face
Anyway, you're a gorgeous black kitty, no matter what your papers say!!way to go
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Zoe, Sep 10 6:52 am

Behavior & Training > How can you humanely bathe a cat that acts like a demon during bath time?
Bailey

Whole Lotta Love

Purred: Tue Jul 15, '08 4:26am PST 
Wow!! I love water, so a bath is no big deal to me (I actually jump into the shower every time someone forgets to close the bathroom door tightly). Lucy and Rocky aren't quite so eager, but they tolerate it fairly well. Mom noticed how everyone liked to lay in the empty tub, or play in the drops after the humans leave the shower, so she started leaving 1/2 to 1 inch of water in the bottom of the tub in the bathroom for us to play in. It's so much fun--we get in and splash each other with our paws--we have great water battles (really messy for Meowmy, but lots of fun for us)!dancing If she takes a nice warm tubby herself, we all sit on the edge of the tub and splash her as well--for some reason she doesn't always find this as relaxing as she does when she's all by herself.
Now on the rare occasions when someone really needs a bath, she just puts a little warm water in the tub, and just gently puts us in, washes and rinses us, and towel-dries us (we really hate the dryer) and voila!!--clean kitties!
Good luck with bath-time--I know not everycat finds water so much fun.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Velcro (In Loving Memory), Jul 17 10:42 am

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.