Postings by Demeter

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Grooming > polydactyl cats and coloring
Demeter

I'll get that- fish yet!

Purred: Wed Jan 17, '07 6:48pm PST 
Demi has six toes on each and she is a Calico. I found her as a stray on Long Island, and in fact many of the strays I saw there were polydactyls. They came in all colors, so I would think it is a seperate gene that happened to be predominant in that particular area. Cool idea though =)
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Gabielle, May 18 7:45 pm

Cat Health > Telling the age of a cat
Demeter

I'll get that- fish yet!

Purred: Fri Dec 1, '06 7:28pm PST 
When I adopted Demi as a stray they looked at the teeth as Hunter said, and in her eyes. Also, he said that being an outdoor animal can age a cat faster than an indoor due to the extra stress.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Panther, Dec 2 7:47 pm

Cat Health > Hair lose

Demeter

I'll get that- fish yet!

Purred: Sun Nov 26, '06 5:05pm PST 
I agree. Hair loss can be caused by a whole host of things. Your kitty may have an allergy to fleas or even something she eats. It may be stress-induced from moving in or a change in people. She is so pretty, I hope you can get her fixed up =)
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Egypt, Dec 6 12:30 am

Choosing the Right Cat > An Only cat? Need advice ?'s at the end

Demeter

I'll get that- fish yet!

Purred: Sun Nov 19, '06 5:19pm PST 
It has been a little over a year since Demi adopted my house. She is extremely territorial (having been outdoors her whole life). I kept her separated from the other two cats for the first week, then slowly started introducing them. Food was the best inducer - I started their bowls on opposite ends of the hallway and gradually moved them closer - if they wanted to eat, they had to move with the bowls. It took over a month before she would tolerate them being in the same room. A year later she still growls when they come too close to her, but I count myself lucky that at least it is not open warfare.

My point is that I do think some animals (like this one of mine) would be happier as only cats. It sounds like you had found a good companion for Mr. B, I am sorry you got discouraged so quickly. I hope you will consider trying again =)

How does your cat react to strangers or other people it knows? That could help you decide whether he is interested in a playmate.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Demeter, Nov 19 5:19 pm

Cat Health > ear mites

Demeter

I'll get that- fish yet!

Purred: Sun Nov 19, '06 4:52pm PST 
We used Milbamite on Demi when she was first adopted, she had terrible ear mites! This stuff worked very well on her, it is an ointment that you put in the ears twice a day for I think 2 weeks. The trick is to make sure you get it smeared around enough, because untreated mites can lead to other infections or even hearing loss! Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Demeter, Nov 19 4:52 pm

Cat Health > HOW DO YOU KNOW A CAT HAS BEEN SPAYED?
Demeter

I'll get that- fish yet!

Purred: Sun Nov 19, '06 4:47pm PST 
Edit: Like kitty above said, you can often actually feel if there is a scar without shaving.

Unfortunately in my experience, spaying cats doesnt necessarily make them nicer or calmer. However since you have had her two months, and she hasnt gone into heat, my guess is she is already spayed.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Cosmo, Nov 20 11:04 pm

Cat Health > Any comments on DeClawing

Demeter

I'll get that- fish yet!

Purred: Wed Nov 15, '06 7:10pm PST 
Hmm well since everyone else is posting against it, I will leave two cents that presents another view. I have a cat that can be, quite frankly, mean. She is an ex-stray and is very used to defending her personal space. Not only that, but she has extra toes. When we first brought this cat indoors we had a lot of problems with her picking on the others, and with our own arms being badly damaged attempting to handle her. Declawing in this case we considered a viable option to make her a little more managable.

That being said it is definately a major surgery and kitty will be very uncomfortable for a few days afterwords. I've noticed they also tend to stand a little differently after, the paws arent quite the same.
[notify]

» There has since been 86 posts. Last posting by Amber, Dec 1 12:53 pm

Cat Health > I\'M ALWAYS HUNGRY!

Demeter

I'll get that- fish yet!

Purred: Tue Nov 14, '06 5:39pm PST 
When Demi first adopted my house she would eat anything I put in front of her, so fast it was obvious she wasnt used to knowing the meals were coming regularly now. She ended up going from very skinny to overweight in a matter of weeks. I have had her a little over a year now and only within the last few months has she started leaving an unfinished portion for later. So dont despair - your kitty is probably just used to being 'wild'!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Nov 30 2:53 pm

Cat Health > Sad question for a human who works at a vet!!

Demeter

I'll get that- fish yet!

Purred: Thu Nov 2, '06 6:35pm PST 
I worked at a kennel for 2 years which had a vet clinic attached. Even though nobody liked the rule, if a person brought in a pet and wanted it euthanized, we were required to do it. I cannot speak for other areas, but here I think it is actually a law, since cats are considered 'property'. A vet could get in a lot of trouble for adopting out the cat without the owner's permission.
[notify]

» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Nov 26 6:01 pm

Behavior & Training > Aggression towards specific person
Demeter

I'll get that- fish yet!

Purred: Tue Oct 31, '06 6:23pm PST 
Friend, I have the exact same problem. When I was adopted my mom lived with two housemates, and one of them was a guy who talked really loud and always wore big sneakers which clunked on the hard floors. He was so noisy and he alllllwwwwwaaaaayyyysss wanted to pick me up and pet me. He never quite got it through his thick skull that I was terrified of him.

My advice to your nemesis is basically to have him ignore you, and to make sure he is pretty calm and quiet when he visits. Then after awile, see if you can tolerate his presense a little easier.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Demeter, Oct 31 6:23 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.