GO!

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

What I Love About Catster > Sad News Today **Catster and Dogster Communities Closing**
♥- Roxy- ♥

Polydactyl Maine- Coons Rule!

Purred: Thu Jan 16, '14 8:57pm PST 
If it help anyone, this is the other cat forum website I am a member of:
http://www.thecatsite.com/f/

You can also make pages for your cats there although they are more basic pages compared to here.
[notify]

» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , Jan 30 6:11 pm

Food & Nutrition > Can Anyone Suggest a Good Auto Feeder that Works?
♥- Roxy- ♥

Purred: Sat Jan 4, '14 8:08pm PST 
It's not cheap, but my brother has one of these and likes it:
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Feeder-Automatic-Digital-Capacity/d p/B005PZ0HQM
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 4 8:08 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > Why Do People Go To Breeders?

♥- Roxy- ♥

Purred: Tue Sep 17, '13 10:03pm PST 
After having gotten one cat from a breeder (Roxy the Maine Coon) although it was not actually my choice, I would definitely get another. Of course we will always have rescues too-- we have a majority of rescues here, and always have. Currently all our cats except Roxy were ferals I rescued as kittens. In fact, when we were waiting for Roxy to come home from the breeder, I found a ~6 week old feral kitten-- that was Church. We weren't planning to have two kittens but he was a surprise rescue. He and Roxy ended up growing up together and are best friends.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Mar 28 2:16 am

Cat Health > Persistant and worrisome stool problems

♥- Roxy- ♥

Purred: Fri Feb 15, '13 8:11pm PST 
What foods have you tried?
Did your vet test for other parasites this time?
The Fortiflora stuff contains animal digest, so if your cat may have a food allergy or sensitivity this may not be the best choice. You could Maybe try something else that is similar (probiotic or enzyme supplement) but without things like animal digest or grains (some probiotics have rice powder). My cats have allergies so we have to be careful about the ingredients of these things, one of my cats has been having some stool issues due to being on antibiotics and my vet gave us Proviable.

Another thing to look into is it could be something like IBD.
[notify]

» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Mar 13 7:11 am

Cat Health > Extra Toes

♥- Roxy- ♥

Purred: Wed Feb 6, '13 11:12pm PST 
I wouldn't say it is a "deformity"-- a variation, maybe, or you could call it a mutation (in fact many things including different coat colors or patterns could be mutations). The most common form of polydactyly does not interfere with normal function, in fact in many cats the extra toes actually are beneficial, they can be better at climbing and grabbing things, if they have the "thumb" configuration it is almost like an opposable thumb!
I do not think you could say it originated any one place, as there are a number of different forms of polydactyly and different genes for it.

You can read a more about it here if you are interested:
http://www.messybeast.com/poly-cats.html
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Feb 22 5:45 pm

Cat Health > Cat Suddenly Not Shedding his Outer Claw Layer
♥- Roxy- ♥

Purred: Sat Nov 17, '12 11:27am PST 
My senior cat had that problem when she was old and sick and stopped 'sharpening' her claws on anything. I had to pull the dead outer layers off myself before I clipped her nails. She hated it but it was the only way to get it off, otherwise like you said her nails would sometimes crack when I clipped them...
The other thing you could do is try to encourage him to use the scratching posts/items you have for him or maybe buy some new things to scratch on and see if he will use them.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 1 1:09 pm

Behavior & Training > Help! Adopted Cat, won't let us pet

♥- Roxy- ♥

Purred: Sun Nov 11, '12 6:16pm PST 
What type of pill was it? Is it Capstar? if it is, I would ask your vet, if it is ok to give another pill. If its not I would ask your vet about Capstar and also see if your vet can get you a topical like Advantage or Frontline.

I would not try to give a flea bath, with a longhair mix like that you would need to do a lot of brushing and blow-drying afterwards to prevent tangles/mats and keep him from getting chilled due to the hair staying wet a long time; if he is that scared you will just scare him more and it isn't the best treatment anyway IMO.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 24 7:37 pm

Kitten Corner > When do cats get full size?

♥- Roxy- ♥

Purred: Sat Sep 8, '12 6:01pm PST 
Most people would say about a year, although they may still "fill out" after that and it can also depend on the type/breed of cat, for example Maine Coons may continue to mature/grow up to ~5 years old...
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Sep 12 10:12 am

Grooming > Are lion cuts stressful for kitties?

♥- Roxy- ♥

Purred: Sun Aug 12, '12 2:31pm PST 
Why not just get his belly shaved? thinking
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jan 21 10:31 am

Kitten Corner > Vet told me it was rare for kittens to go into heat before 6 months?
♥- Roxy- ♥

Purred: Thu Aug 9, '12 7:50pm PST 
Yes cats can definitely go into heat before 6 months, although personally the two females I've had who were intact at that age did not...
I delayed getting Harlequin spayed because she was so tiny and I kept waiting in hope maybe she would grow a little more first (she was one of the runts in the feral litter I rescued). When I finally did get it done she was 9 months old, 5 1/2 pounds and had never gone into heat. She's still tiny as an adult.

Roxy's breeder advised not spaying until 8 months old due to Maine Coons developing slowly and we had hoped she wouldn't go into heat at all because she didn't for so long, but then she ended up finally doing so getting her first heat before 8 months old. So she did go into heat once before she was spayed.

I couldn't find a lot of data on spaying a cat before vs. after their first heat regarding mammary tumors in cats, although I did find this:

"This study indicates that cats spayed before 6 months of age had a 91% reduction in risk for mammary cancer. That dropped to 86% if they were spayed between 6 and 12 months. Any decrease between then and 24 months was insignificant."
Overley, G, Shofer, FS, Goldschmidt, MH et al. (2005) Association between ovariohysterectomy and feline mammary carcinoma. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 19 (4): 560-563.

So even if your cat is not spayed until she is 6 months old it does not seem like it increases the risk a huge amount...
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Aug 9 7:50 pm

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.