Postings by Sapphire

GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Cat Health > Anestheic Recall
Sapphire

The epitome of- bad hair day

Purred: Tue Jan 5, '10 10:46pm PST 
Thanks so much for posting this. The animal shelter I work with uses ketamine on surgery days, so I've forwarded it on to the higher-ups.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sapphire, Jan 5 10:46 pm

Cat Health > FCKS and Pectus Excapatum in 2 week old kitten
Sapphire

Purred: Fri Dec 18, '09 7:01pm PST 
I have fostered and volunteered for an animal shelter for 6 years. I usually take around 60-100 neonatal kittens a year and just recently took a kitten out of the shelter who is two weeks old and has flat chested kitten syndrome coupled with pectus excapatum(funnel chest). I don't believe it's a real extreme case..he seems really strong, he's gaining weight (and was not the smallest in his litter) and really thriving right now. Everything I've been able to find says that if he makes it past 3 weeks, his chances of survival greatly increase, but I'm just curious if anyone here has dealt with this before? He is a shelter kitten, so I can't really up and take him to the vet..he will, however, see the shelter vet Christmas eve, but with limited funds and him being so young, I'm not really sure what all they can do.
Anyways, anyone who has any input on things I should look out for/avoid would be really appreciated.
Thanks!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jasper, Angel Dreamboat #49a , Dec 21 8:23 pm

Kitten Corner > 1 month old foster female very needy and almost too hungry

Sapphire

Purred: Mon May 26, '08 10:44pm PST 
You might want to think about switching them over to 2nd Step, also. I believe it is also made by the same people that make KMR, only 2nd Step, has a little more substance and keeps them fuller for a lengthier period of time.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sapphire, May 26 10:44 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Kids Help Local Animal Shelter!

Sapphire

Purred: Fri Feb 22, '08 6:10pm PST 
Benny Grunch...Yes, they actually were there smile News Channel 3 did about a 15 second blurb on the news tonight and there are two local newspapers covering what the kids accomplished.
Quite amazing for a relatively small elementary school!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Moto, Feb 23 4:40 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Advice for adopting out a "Barn Cat"???

Sapphire

Purred: Sat Jan 19, '08 10:00pm PST 
Just wondering....
Since she would probably be afraid of being outside, could you maybe try to adopt her out into a multi-cat household? Maybe you could find someone with multiple animals who understood that they wouldn't be able to pet, pick her up, etc.
I realize that that probably won't be the easiest thing to do....Maybe you could post her bio and picture on Petfinder and take a picture with a camera phone (if you have one) or turn the flash off on your camera possibly to get a picture. We've had a lot of luck finding homes for special-needs/ hard to adopt animals through Petfinder.
Just an idea...

Thank you for all of the wonderful work you do. Takes a lot of patience to TNR! MOL

Good luck smile
Sapphire
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Wolfie, Jan 22 6:11 am

Cat Health > Coccidia and Albon alternatives
Sapphire

Purred: Tue Oct 2, '07 5:36pm PST 
Hunter, thank you SO much!
Have you ever heard of/had any luck using Baycox to treat Coccidia?
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sapphire, Oct 2 5:36 pm

Cat Health > Coccidia and Albon alternatives

Sapphire

Purred: Sun Sep 30, '07 9:19am PST 
I have ten kittens right now ranging in age from 7 weeks to 14 weeks, all of which were bottle babies. We have had an absolutely horrible year as far as Coccidia and Giardia are concerned. Right now, all ten of my munchkins have Coccidia and we are on round number five of Albon and it's still not working. Three of the kittens have been on Albon on and off since they were a week old (they were about a week premature and are 14 weeks old now), they also had Giardia which took two rounds of Flagyl and two rounds of Panacur to get rid of. I'm completely changing their litter (as well as putting liners on their boxes) twice a day and the scoops are getting Roccalled after each dump. They are all on pretty high dosages of Albon (today was their tenth day) and a fecal done yesterday showed "lots of healthy Coccidia". The vet thinks that since they've been on Albon so many times that the Coccidia has become resistant to the Albon.

A friend suggested I try Baycox, but obtaining it has been easier said than done. Are there any other meds besides Albon that can be used to get rid of the Coccidia?

Thanks!
Foster Mom, Brittany
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sapphire, Oct 2 5:36 pm

Kitten Corner > How old?

Sapphire

Purred: Wed Sep 19, '07 7:38am PST 
How much of your teeth have come in? Are they just breaking the skin or are they already half way or more than half way down?

If they've just punched through the skin then you're probably closer to 3-31/2 weeks. If your teeth are already punched through and half way to fully down then you're closer to 4-41/2 weeks.

Here's a website that briefly goes over kitten milestones: http://www.kittenrescue.org/handbook.htm#Basics

Hope this helps!
Purrs,
Sapphire
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Gabby, Sep 27 9:28 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Sweet Cleopatra has made her way to the bridge

Sapphire

Purred: Mon Sep 17, '07 3:13pm PST 
I’m posting on behalf of a very dear friend of mine, Cleopatra. Cleo made her way, peacefully, to the bridge on Tuesday, the 18th. She lived with her Grandma in Italy while her Mom was in Canada, and she only found out yesterday that Cleo had made her way to the bridge. She was very well loved by her Mom and by so many cats here at Catster…. Her diary entry written by her Mom goes into more detail about what happened, but all that I really know is that her Mom is absolutely devastated. She can use all of the support that anyone can spare at the moment, Cleo has always been very special to her Mom and her will to beat the odds has amazed everyone.

Purrs to the newest, most beautiful bridge angel... we love you sweet girl!
Sapphire and family
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Dulci (In Loving Memory - you, Sep 25 1:30 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > adoption costs
Sapphire

Purred: Tue Aug 21, '07 10:27pm PST 
That's actually a pretty reasonable price, especially if it includes their shots and spay or neuter.
The shelter that I volunteer and foster for has a $65 adoption fee that comes with their spay/neuter, shots, feluk/aids test, deworming and any other medical costs they might have acquired while they were at the shelter. During the summer especially, they often run their cat adoptions at half price ($32.50) because we acquire so many cats and need to find new homes for them quickly. To give you an idea of how many we have come in, last Saturday 30 dogs were brought in (keep in mind that our capacity is 62) and 25 cats and kittens were brought in. This was all in one day!
We do hope that you will still be able to find a kitten though smile Just keep in mind that proper care for a new kitten will probably be more than $90.00 when you take into account vet bills for shots, spay/neuter and testing.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by ♦ Smokey♦, Sep 7 5:51 pm

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.