Postings by Phoebe

GO!

(Page 1 of 39: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Help?! Getting VERY upset when other cats are outside
Phoebe

I'm Fusky! (I'm- furry and I'm- husky!)

Purred: Fri Sep 18, '09 10:09pm PST 
Phoebe is a strictly indoor cat, but we have a sun/screen porch which she absolutely loves. She will spend all day out there if I let her and loves to watch the wildlife. We have a nice birdfeeder and small fountain, so she is well entertained. She has NO problems with birds, chipmunks, squirrels, woodchucks, etc. There has even been a skunk out there--and a deer. There has also been a dog around a few times--no problem. She enjoys watching all of the goings on and does not get at all upset.
Unfortunately, the same can not be said of a cat if one comes near the house. We have one in particular recently who has been quite brazen about coming quite close to the house.
Phoebe goes wild--literally. She goes into that feral mode and becomes extremely agressive. She growls, hisses, and her hair bristles. She is completely in another world when this happens and it is a bit frightening to see. It takes her a few minutes to settle down when this happens. The level of upset seems to be on the rise.
I spoke to my vet and he said that territorial aggression is a form of anxiety. He had no real suggestions other than trying mothballs to keep the cat away from the house--but I'm afraid that might hurt the other little critters that come around. The only other remedy he mentioned was medication.
I am open to ANY suggestions. I know that with dogs there are some training strategies that can help with this problem, but I don't know if any behavior mod works for cats. I worry that she is just getting herself more and more upset as time goes on and I worry about her hurting someone if she gets into this state while we have visitors.
ANY thoughts are appreciated.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Isabelle, Sep 19 9:23 pm

Cat Health > My cat is sick - please help!!!
Phoebe

Purred: Fri Mar 20, '09 8:41am PST 
Hunter is right. The cold-wet nose is more of a dog thing, I think. We cats have different was of showing we are not feeling well. The most dangerous thing for us is dehydration; we are not the best 'drinkers' as it is, and we can become dehydrated VERY quickly. Please do not wait too long!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Orphy, Mar 21 8:06 pm

Food & Nutrition > For those looking to lose weight...

Phoebe

Purred: Thu Mar 19, '09 10:09am PST 
Oh dear. Mommy seems to like that idea for my dry food. I only get 3 tablespoons of dry a day (my main diet is wet--but I LOVE LOVE LOVE dry.) Now she is going to make me work for it?
cry
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Phoebe, Mar 19 10:09 am

Cat Health > Lump inside ear

Phoebe

Purred: Tue Mar 17, '09 8:57am PST 
Gee, the size of an acorn sounds big. That being said, it is likely an abcess or infection of some sort because I don't THINK a cyst/tumor could appear so large and so fast. Mommy would still like your Gamma to at least CALL the vet and maybe he can give her some ointment to put on it to see if that makes it better. (I like having my ears rubbed, so maybe it won't be too hard to apply.) Then, if you treat it as an infection and it does not improve, you can go on to the next step...
Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Daniel, Mar 26 5:27 pm

Cat Health > Head and Ear Twitching

Phoebe

Purred: Tue Mar 17, '09 8:51am PST 
You know, Boots, you may have answered your own question. If you think about it, it makes sense that there may have bit of nerve damage from the eye surgery which could cause twitching. Just to be on the safe side, you might want to call your vet to ask if this symptom is one that could have resulted as a side effect of the surgery. That will probably ease your mind.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Phoebe, Mar 17 8:51 am

Cat Health > sick again..
Phoebe

Purred: Tue Mar 17, '09 8:48am PST 
Yay for Bella!
Mommy always keeps a close eye on me when I am having a lazy day because I was diagnosed as being positive for coronavirus at around the same age as Bella. I REALLY gave Mommy a scare the first time I was sick and I made her spend over $400 for the vet just to get better when I was ready to...
If Bella is slightly asthmatic like a lot of kitties, she may have good and bad days. Maybe we can chalk this up to the change of seasons...cats have allegies too, so maybe some spring things are bothering her.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Phoebe, Mar 17 8:48 am

Cat Health > Casting for a new TLC documentary!

Phoebe

Purred: Tue Mar 17, '09 8:41am PST 
Animal Planet has been showing a series called "Cat 101" recently. Mommy and I have enjoyed watching it, even though they have not shown any Tortisinicoon (I think that I am a Tortoiseshell-Abissinian-Maine Coon...that is my story and I'm sticking to it) cats; I guess that is because I am the only one! smile
Anyway, they did the same kind of thing; they found obsessed cat owners to represent the life of one of each kind of cat. I suspect that TLC will hear from more dog people than cat people.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Phoebe, Mar 17 8:41 am

Cat Health > Litter Question

Phoebe

Purred: Mon Mar 16, '09 3:34pm PST 
I like S'Wheats. It is all natural and made of wheat AND you can flush it down the toilet!!
cheer
I like it better than some of the other 'natural' and 'flushable' litters because it is a much finer consistency and feels so nice on my paws that sometimes I'll just stay in my box and dig and dig like I'm trying to get to China!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Phoebe, Mar 16 3:34 pm

Cat Health > declawing

Phoebe

Purred: Mon Mar 16, '09 3:29pm PST 
Soda: I don't look at declawing as either positive or negative. I look at it from as neutral and objective point of view as I can. I don't think that many would disagree that, in an ideal world, there would be no declawing. However, I simply wanted to stress the point that the answer to the original question IS to get declawing outlawed and point out the fact that there would be a negative impact to many cat lovers.
If Mommy ruled the world, she would mandate spaying and neutering for all cats along with licensing. She would also make it as illegal to let a cat roam as it is for a dog to do so. However, Mommy realizes that there are many points of view on these issues and many who would disagree with her.
That said, there have been bills introduced in some states to prohibit declawing, but most do not make it past the committee stage. I believe that is because, for better or worse, animals are considered property and the prohibition of declawing is viewed as an infringement on the rights of the owner. I, Phoebe, know that I am NOT property; I am a member of a family.
In order not to cause further hurt feelings, Mommy would sincerely say to the original poster that she should contact her local state representative about the issue and see if there is anything that can be done in her state about the issue. Mommy THINKS that the United States is still a republic (though sometimes lately she is not sure thinking ) and that it is everyone's right and obligation to become involved with issues which he/she feels are important.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Frodo, Apr 29 11:03 am

Cat Health > declawing
Phoebe

Purred: Mon Mar 16, '09 11:41am PST 
Well, it has been awhile since I have been able to get Mommy to look at this site for me, but it seems that everytime I check in there is a declawing debate.
I love my Mommy. My Mommy has Lupus and was told it would be very dangerous for her to have a non-declawed cat. I would be very sad for both me and Mommy if declawing were to be outlawed. Mommy would never be able to adopt another cat, and no other cat would get to have the wonderful home I have.
Mommy has taken in foster cats and kittens and they are not declawed, but Mommy must interact with the foster cats only when she has long pants and sleeves so she does not get injured.
Like Bumpurr, Bonnie, and Booboo said, Mommy is not--nor are most owners who get their cats declawed--stupid. She knows EXACTLY what is involved in the proceedure and she does not take it lightly.
Xenia said that declawing 'is known to cause pain and problems.' I would like to know the names of the cats who were interviewed for that statistic.
Little Momma said that if you are in favor of declawing then 'no kitties...simple.' It is not so simple for me. Given the choice of my Mommy and the life (or lack thereof) I might have had without her, I would choose my Mommy.
If declawing was outlawed, there would be numerous cats left without homes--even more than there already are. It is vital for people to remember that there are many seniors who make wonderful pet owners who would not be able to have a cat if it might scratch him/her. It is far too dangerous for the elderly in many cases. Ditto those with certain chronic illnesses.
So, let's consider the possibility of MANY wonderful homes for MANY cats who would not have a home otherwise. Those homes would be gone if the OPTION for declawing (front only) was not allowed. Would those against declawing prefer an increase in euthenasia because there would be so many more cats left without homes?
Which is more cruel:
Front declawing with the outcome having a loving home and the pampered life of an indoor only cat...
or death because the people who would love a cat can not adopt one if declawing is outlawed and there are not enough homes for all of us?
I believe that declawing should be allowed at the informed discretion of the owner. If you disagree, then you really need to fully realize that the consequences would be more dead cats because of fewer available homes. If that is a tradeoff that you are willing to make, fine. But as for me, Phoebe, I will take my wonderful life with my Mommy.
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Frodo, Apr 29 11:03 am

(Page 1 of 39: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.