Postings by Merlin (1996 - 2007)

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Behavior & Training > 10 years of inappropriate urination and aggression
Merlin (1996- - 2007)

Secretly Demonic

Purred: Thu Apr 5, '07 6:16am PST 
Thanks so much Felix. I'm glad there are other Catsters who could relate to my situation. Thanks for the rainbow rosette too. It's still tough because he went from perfectly fine to passing away so quickly (a week) so I find I'm still in a bit of shock of not having him around anymore. I appreciate the condolences and thank you again.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sasha (now terrorizing heaven), Apr 5 11:03 am

Merlin (1996- - 2007)

Secretly Demonic

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '07 11:41am PST 
This is an old thread but I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. Merlin passed away 2 weeks ago. Your suggestions did not 100% 'cure' him but they did help him a lot. He lived a good life. Thanks again.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sasha (now terrorizing heaven), Apr 5 11:03 am

Behavior & Training > Leash training a 10-year old?

Merlin (1996- - 2007)

Secretly Demonic

Purred: Wed Jan 31, '07 6:52am PST 
So we recently bought our own house with a yard in a dead-end street neighborhood. Merlin's been getting marginally better in his behavior - we control him by putting him in the cat playpen when we are not home, and we got Cat Attract litter, and I also put a few drops of Rescue Remedy in his water now and then. But he still lives a fairly confined life because of his extreme issues.

In the sprigtime I'd love for him to be able to come outside (controlled) with me. When he was a kitten I tried to get him to walk on a leash with a harness but he would have nothing of it (threw himself to the ground). I was also 13 years old at the time so I didn't really know what the heck I was doing.

He's 10 now. Is it too late? You can teach dogs things at any age so I'm assuming the same can be done with cats. I'd love for me, my fiance, my dog, AND Merlin to be able to enjoy spring and summertime walks so he can get a little more exercise and excitement than he gets right now. Where do I start??
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sparx, Jan 31 7:20 am

Merlin (1996- - 2007)

Secretly Demonic

Purred: Sat Dec 9, '06 10:26am PST 
Arthur - oops you're right, I did forget to mention he is indeed neutered. Right now I've been using Nature's Miracle orange. It makes the area smell a little funny for a day-ish but after that it's like he never peed there at all, which is amazing to my mother and I after all these years of club soda and powder and vinegar. We tried Zero Odor Pet before and it didn't work, Merlin must have special extra-smelly pee. smile
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Sasha (now terrorizing heaven), Apr 5 11:03 am

Merlin (1996- - 2007)

Secretly Demonic

Purred: Fri Dec 8, '06 5:27am PST 
Hey Ele, thanks for the advice with Feliway. We have the spray version and I do infact follow the instructions as you recommended, but he has still obviously urinated on the futon and also a slightly antique chair we have in the same room. I did think about the plug-ins and I may give those a try as well, thanks. smile

And I am going to discuss with the vet the anti-anxiety meds if the Rescue Remedy doesn't seem to do anything for him. I'll make sure I mention that he was on it in the past, about 7 years ago, etc. Fortunately our vet is right down the street so taking him for periodic bloodwork shouldn't be a huge problem.

And thank you for all the rosettes guys!!!!!
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Sasha (now terrorizing heaven), Apr 5 11:03 am

Merlin (1996- - 2007)

Secretly Demonic

Purred: Wed Dec 6, '06 2:39pm PST 
Thanks guys. I'm going to try the Rescue Remedy first I think, and if it doesn't help him I will inquire to my vet about the cat Prozac. Maybe I misunderstood and he wasn't on it indefinitely because it was too expensive at the time, not because of some side effect. Knowing that he can safely be on it for a while is good to know.

Thanks everyone for your compassion, and it makes me feel better that I have not given up on him yet. I think I've gotten some great suggestions and I really am giving this my best shot. I know my fiance would never actually get rid of Merlin because he knows it would just break my heart (especially since Merlin and I moved from our hometown of Baltimore all the way here to Buffalo...left everything we knew but I was comforted in the fact that Merlin was with me to start this new chapter in my life), but I'd love to just stop getting so many comments from the peanut gallery about my poor derranged cat for the rest of his life, which may be quite a while. smile
[notify]

» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Sasha (now terrorizing heaven), Apr 5 11:03 am

Merlin (1996- - 2007)

Secretly Demonic

Purred: Wed Dec 6, '06 7:15am PST 
Thanks for your kind words guys. I paruse the Erie County SPCA website every now and then (it's where my dog came from) and occasionally click on the Cats page to see the 100 or so cats always there....I point at the screen and say to Merlin, "Look. See how lucky you are?? You ungrateful jerk." smile

I already have Feliway and it doesn't really seem to deter Merlin from much, unfortunately. But I am going to look into the Cat Attract Litter, I haven't heard of it before. I am also going to check out Rescue Remedy. For a period of time when he was younger my parents had him put on this "cat Prozac" for a while but the vet said we couldn't do it indefinitely for whatever reason (I was like 14 or 15 at the time so I didn't have much say or get a lot of details on things then). But I do remember him being much calmer on it. So I'll definitely check out Rescue Remedy.

Thanks again guys. And thanks for the Rosette Tito!!
[notify]

» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Sasha (now terrorizing heaven), Apr 5 11:03 am

Merlin (1996- - 2007)

Secretly Demonic

Purred: Tue Dec 5, '06 8:09am PST 
I don't know if anyone will have any helpful advice. This is something I've been dealing with Merlin since a few months after we got him - in 1996. Inappropriate urination. He was approximately 4 months old when we got him, and according to the rescue they found him in a box in their dumpster with some other cats, and his whiskers were cut off. Now that I have been living with my fiance for the past 5 months things are getting scarier for my Mer-cat because nobody wants to put up with him anymore.

Over the years he has been tested several times for urinary tract infections, and his litter was changed several times until we finally settled with what we currently use since he seemed to like that the best.

It's hard to predict when and where he will urinate. My mother is a regular at antique auctions and purchases and hand-refurbishes some very expensive pieces. Merlin has destroyed a $700 original condition chair, a $300 slightly newer chair, and some less expensive pieces in their basement.

I'm diligent about keeping his pan quite clean, as well as always having fresh water on hand, keeping him groomed, brush his teeth, etc.

The ONLY pattern I have ever picked up in his urinating is he prefers bunched up plastic bags, and bunched up fabric like an un-made bed or a blanket on the sofa or something.

However now he is urinating on a futon in our spare room over and over again. Fortunately I can simply remove the sheet and the canvas mattress cover and throw them in the wash but this is very irritating. Yesterday he urinated on my bed right in front of me. He never "sprays", it is always a regular pee.

I can no longer leave him unsupervised, even if for only 30 seconds. We purchased a fairly large, 2-level cat playpen that his litter pan and food/water now subside in and he must go in it when we go out, or even if I just go to the basement to do laundry, or anything, really. If I'm in the bathroom taking a shower, he has to be in there with me.

He is also very randomly agressive, despite me trying to re-direct his aggression to his toys instead of my arms over the years. I have 10 years worth of scars up and down my forearms. For a long time people thought I was doing it to myself. He does this completely unprovoked. He has always been disciplined for bad behavior with a stern NO and being put in a 'time-out'....it's hard to even play with him because he gets way too rough too fast. He only behaves this way to people he knows well, i.e. people he lives with. Visitors and people at boarding facilities never fail to compliment on how "nice" he is.

Is there something blatantly obvious I am missing? Merlin is my first cat and with all of the problems he has caused over the years I feel like he's the last. All cats cannot possibly be like this. When I was younger and he'd attack my neck while I was sleeping, there were so many times my father threatened to return him to the rescue or to put him to sleep. My fiance cannot understand why I clutch so tightly to this miserable cat who pees everywhere, bites me, and hates to be held. But no one ever sees when it's just me and him alone and he's been sleeping a while and I lay next to him and squeeze his paws and he purrs.

Has anyone else EVER had a cat like this? What did you do? I don't want Merlin to be doomed to live out his days in his playpen 24 hours a day - it seems like the direction he's headed in. I feel like I have failed entirely. 10 years and I have never been able to help him get better like I always promised I would as a child.
[notify]

» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Sasha (now terrorizing heaven), Apr 5 11:03 am

Behavior & Training > Best product to get rid of urine smell?

Merlin (1996- - 2007)

Secretly Demonic

Purred: Tue Dec 5, '06 7:55am PST 
Merlin has a serious behavior problem with inappropriate urination....we recently discovered Nature's Miracle orange scented and use it in conjunction with some of the above mentioned items and has worked pretty well. I also spray Feliway to try and deter him in the first place but he completely ignores it.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Domino, Dec 16 9:30 am

Food & Nutrition > Corn in Cat Food... Is It Really Bad?
Merlin (1996- - 2007)

Secretly Demonic

Purred: Sun Sep 10, '06 1:19pm PST 
They put it in the food because it's much cheaper to put corn, grain, brewer's rice etc. into food than meat or other things that our cats or dogs can actually use. Corn is not "bad" persay, as in it's not going to kill anyone, but cats and dogs can't digest corn and other vegetables the way humans can, so it basically just serves as a "filler" to make them feel more full, even if they are not getting as much as they could out of something else. Cats and dogs are carnivores and so their digestive systems are made specifically to be able to break down bacterias and get nutrients from meat. Lots of people supplement their cat or dog's food with some different types of veggies which is fine, it's just that they are not meant to survive on that alone, or rather survive on that primarily. I haven't seen too much discussion about it on here but over on Dogster there are lots of people who feed raw, as in they don't feed 'kibble' at all, but feed raw meat, bones and organs. I think there are a few catsters here that feed raw as well. Anyway I hope this answers your question!
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Lucky Boo, Loved & Missed , Sep 15 11:38 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.