Postings by Tai

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Cat Health > dirty ears
Tai

Mr. Pitiful

Purred: Fri Sep 27, '13 7:07am PST 
If his ears are full of a bunch of black/brown gunk, it's almost definitely ear mites. Ear mites are very contagious to other cats and are a very common problem. He was likely exposed wherever he was at. Your vet can give you medicated drops to put in his ears to get rid of them. In the meantime, you can get a damp cotton ball and clean his ears out a little bit. Make sure not to push gunk down into his ears. You need to swath it up and away from the canal. You really shouldn't try to clean deep into his ear because unless you really know what you're doing you could damage them.

But either way it won't do much good until you have the drops from the vet, and it would probably be best to medicate all of your cats at once so that you don't have an infestation that just keeps going from cat to cat.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Sep 27 9:05 am

Cat Health > Cat Suddenly Not Shedding his Outer Claw Layer
Tai

Mr. Pitiful

Purred: Sat Nov 17, '12 4:52am PST 
My old man kitty has been having a really odd problem. His front claws are getting 'thick'. I keep them trimmed and have several scratching posts around, and he's never been the absolute best about shedding those outer layers, but now they're getting to the point where if I try to trim them, it cracks his nail to the quick.

Obviously being something that I do not want to do, I'm starting to wonder what else I can do. I waited two weeks longer to see if he would pull them off himself, but it's not happening. Is there anything I can do to help him?
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Amber, Dec 1 1:09 pm

Cat Health > Strangest Eye Color Mutation

Tai

Mr. Pitiful

Purred: Sun Sep 30, '12 3:32pm PST 
Well, I did some work with this rescue, and they always see a vet and fix before getting listed. They would mention if the vet had thought it a problem, but it's also possible that the vet might not knot it's a problem if it's something rare. Though, I met their vet and he was a good old knowledgeable guy.

This kitten is only four months old. They pulled him from the kill shelters. So I'm assuming he was born with it. Either way, very interesting. I'm surprised they've had him listed for a few weeks and haven't adopted him out yet.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tai, Sep 30 3:32 pm

Cat Health > Strangest Eye Color Mutation

Tai

Mr. Pitiful

Purred: Sun Sep 30, '12 8:00am PST 
A rescue I've dealt with a little has a current foster kitty they're trying to adopt that has the most amazing mutation I've ever seen. I've NEVER seen an animal (other than a reptile) with eyes like this. Thought I'd share and see if anyone else had ever seen a kitty like this?

Wish I could take in this amazing kitty!

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/juushinkan/1348254675-5 62jpg_m.jpg
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tai, Sep 30 3:32 pm

Cat Health > Mass Sneezing

Tai

Mr. Pitiful

Purred: Tue Sep 25, '12 9:15am PST 
I'm wondering if there's anything other than bordetella that can be transmitted from dogs to cats.

My dog is vaccinated, but she's still a pup and had a persistent sneeze for three or four days about a week and a half ago. She's not sneezing anymore, but now the cats have taken up the sneezing. With gusto. Tai sneezes like a fire hose and has done his best to spray me straight in the face as much as possible.

It's only a few times a day and mostly noticeable around feeding time when they all get worked up. I've also got two rescues who just got spayed two weeks ago and one of them is sneezing, too, so I'm concerned.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Alex (sweet angel girl), Sep 25 10:50 am

Food & Nutrition > Advice on foods that will avoid overlapping problems
Tai

Mr. Pitiful

Purred: Thu Aug 30, '12 7:40am PST 
Thank you for the advice. He was on Royal Canin for a good while, but he hasn't been on anything specifically formulated for UTIs in at least three years. I watched him very carefully while I transitioned him off, and as long as I keep his water intake up, he doesn't have any problems. I never see him drink out of the water bowl like the others do, but I'm also aware that fish can increase the risk of UTI issues as well, especially now that he's getting up there in years. He hasn't actually had a UTI infection in years, it's just something I really want to keep considered.

What I'm really concerned about is his allergies and trying to figure that out. Unfortunately, I'm worried that he has several different allergies. I know food plays a role in it as I have had some success on diet change. His allergies aren't very seasonal, though. My roommate is allergic to cats, so we do a good amount of cleaning with natural products and I haven't noticed symptoms getting worse when the door is opened or anything of that nature. But from what I've read, he could also be allergic to some of the common additives to dry foods so I want to try and transition him to wet.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Gumpy Sweet Boy , Aug 30 10:06 am

Tai

Mr. Pitiful

Purred: Thu Aug 30, '12 4:54am PST 
Thank you. And I do know they have to be switched for a good number of weeks. Though for some, the increase in symptoms was instant enough that I immediately called quits. He's been doing better on the LIT Salmon allergy wise and has been on it long enough for me to call it better, but like you said, the increased risk of UTI is staggering.

I have looked into raw feeding, but the price is just killer. I'd want to grind my own meat/bones and my vet would help very little as she's very against raw feeding due to the bacterial concerns. I wouldn't mind doing a part-cooked diet, but I also doubt that he would eat it. He's very finicky in his old age and doesn't want to try new things. When I give him only wet foods, he generally leaves half of it or all of it, so it's a struggle, but I want what's best for him.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Gumpy Sweet Boy , Aug 30 10:06 am

Tai

Mr. Pitiful

Purred: Wed Aug 29, '12 9:25am PST 
Now that Tai is older, I'm trying to figure out how to feed him best to help him have the best retirement. He has two problems. Allergies and UTI history. He hasn't blocked, but he did go through two or three phases of UTIs. He was on Blue Buffalo the first years of his life, then was switched to Science Diet CD when he was 5 and had his recurring UTIs.

He stayed on that for a few years, but I was never happy with it, and would mix it with wellness or blue buffalo wet food to try and boost the water and nutrition.

Fast forward to the last two years. We've been battling allergies that have the poor boy licking his back legs half bald. It started slowly, but has gradually grown into a problem that leaves his skin warm and inflamed on his lower half and leaves him very uncomfortable. We switched him to Royal Canin SO, which made it a tiny bit better for all of a minute then kept right on getting worse.

I've cycled him through Wellness, Halo, Blue Buffalo and have been going through a few of the Natural Balance LIT diets. He despised duck, the venison didn't seem to help at all. Now he's on the Salmon and Pea and seems to be doing better. He's still licking himself bald, but he's not leaving welts as often and his skin doesn't seem as red and irritated.

These were mostly dry food mixed with wet, but now I want to try straight wet food (though I know he's going to fight me on it). I'm worried about the salmon formula since I know that salmon can increase chances of his UTI problem resurfacing. I give him dry mixed with wet or just dry, always adding hot water from my zojirushi on top of that. He's older and starting to gain a bit of weight, so it shouldn't be too bad feeding him only wet as long as he'll get over his love of dry food.

I really want to avoid having to give him steroid shots every month, and he's already had to have it done three times this year just to give him relief. And now it seems to be getting a bit worse yet again and I want to try again.

So, if anyone has an opinion on what wet foods would be excellent but try to avoid both allergies and UTI issues, I'd be every so thankful.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Gumpy Sweet Boy , Aug 30 10:06 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Wanna Go Hoooome

Tai

Mr. Pitiful

Purred: Fri Aug 25, '06 7:41am PST 
We're very glad that Sasha is getting a new home. I wish that Kisa wasn't such a meanie, because I think she's peachy keen. But my mom says that this is for the best and the best thing that could have happened given the circumstances.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sasha Maree, Aug 28 10:16 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Best age to adopt question.
Tai

Mr. Pitiful

Purred: Thu Jun 15, '06 11:29am PST 
8 Weeks is the most commonly accepted age that I've seen. That's when both puppies and kittens get their first shots, then they go to the owner and get their boosters later. I'm not completely sure. I'm thinking of keeping my up coming fosters for 10 to 12 weeks, as I think this gives them a better foundation to go on, and will probably try to avoid the behavioral problems that cats can get if they're seperated from their mom's too young.

That's just sort of an opinion, though...
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Shadow, Jun 17 2:26 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.