Postings by Melody

GO!

Behavior & Training > Wood=Tasty

Melody

A musician's- kitty

Purred: Wed May 10, '06 7:28pm PST 
My mommy has this stuff called "Boundary" that she sprays around stuff she doesn't want me around sometimes. She doesn't use it a lot, which is good, because I don't like the smell of it at all! You have to be careful, though. It can stain some surfaces, so you'll have to test that out first. If you try it, make sure you read all the directions. I really don't like sticky surfaces, either, so maybe you could put double-sided tape on those surfaces. I know that'd stop me!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 11 9:50 am

Cats & Travel > Traveling with a Cat
Melody

A musician's- kitty

Purred: Wed May 10, '06 11:30am PST 
My mommy had to move half-way across the country with me one time! We drove for 4 days, 8-16 hours a day. It wasn't so bad! I just slept a lot.

--
The first day of these trips was the hardest, because Melody wasn't used to being in her carrier for so long- it was a very different enviroment. After the first half of that first day, she slept in her carrier most of the time we were driving. She was still a kitten at the time, so her small-dog sized carrier that she still has plenty of room in now was huge for her. I put a Purr-Pad on the bottom, along with a little blanket with my scent and a few of her small toys. I also gave her a small dish of water, and when we stopped for meals, I would give her small treats, but not enough to make her tummy sick. As soon as we got to a hotel, we would let her wander around the room (she liked being in all these new places!) and give her lots of food and water, which I left for her all night and then took away as soon as I woke up in the morning. Melody was so small that I just put some litter in a shallow tupperware and put that in her carrier, too, but I like the idea of having one in the backseat and letting her use it every time you stop. I'd let Melody out of her carrier when I stopped so she could stretch. She liked hiding between all the boxes!

Hope that helps!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Rocko, May 11 9:27 pm

Cats & Travel > Which is more traumatic? A car trip and a strange place, or staying home with evil sister?

Melody

A musician's- kitty

Purred: Wed May 10, '06 11:13am PST 
I'm the only pet in my family right now, so I don't know what sibling rivalry is like! I do know about car trips, though. One time, my mommy had to move half-way across the country, and it took 4 days of driving to get there, and I drove in the car with her the whole way! It wasn't so bad. My mommy kept me in my carrier and after the first day when it took a little while to get used to being in the car so long, I just slept most of the time. 3 hours is nothing! Try 16! If you decide to take your kitty along, just make sure she hasn't eaten in a little while so she doesn't get car sick!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Melody, May 10 11:13 am

Cats & Travel > cage or no cage?

Melody

A musician's- kitty

Purred: Wed May 10, '06 11:06am PST 
I like going in the car, too! My mommy always keeps me in my cozy cage with some toys and a blanket on the bottom so that I'm comfortable. She also makes sure to not let me eat too soon before we travel so that I don't get sick. I don't mind my cage. I feel safer in there, knowing that if I hear a loud noise, it can't get to me! Mommy likes to have me in the passenger seat with her so that she can talk to me when she's driving, and when we're at a red light she can pet me through the cage and make sure I'm ok. I think cages are good for kitties when we're in the car. It's safer for us, and safer for you-- you wouldn't like it if we freaked out about something and went under your feet! That would be bad!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Hunter, Jun 14 4:48 pm

Cats & Travel > moving

Melody

A musician's- kitty

Purred: Wed May 10, '06 10:59am PST 
I've been in 4 different homes in 2 years! Mommy has had to move a lot. She hopes that will stop soon. My mommy always does all the unpacking first and then brings me over and shows me around the new place. That way I can see where my toys, food, and litter box are and see that it's my new home, and I don't get in the way while she's unpacking. I wouldn't want to have a box dropped on me! I think if she brought me to an empty house, I'd just be confused!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Hattie, May 14 4:37 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.