Postings by Pooky

GO!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

Raw Food Diet > What about kangaroo and/or horse meat?
Pooky

King of the- pride

Purred: Tue Sep 23, '08 11:51pm PST 
In relation to the actual question!
Sorry I have no experience with horse meat, but kangaroo meat is available here in Aus for humans and pets.
I had no idea you could order it over the internet overseas!!
Our cats love it and personally I would think it's preferable to factory farmed meat in relation to how healthy it is for cats.
All meat would have some risk of parasites, but I always freeze it first to try and minimise risks (not sure how effective that is!)
I would say it does seem to be quite rich - if you feed too much at one meal it can upset some cats stomach and they can throw it up. (also ours eat really fast cos they love it!) I was a bit worried about that but our vet said yes that CAN happen if they eat too much at once.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tyger, Sep 24 4:07 pm

Cat Health > Poll: Who is the primary cat care giver in your home?
Pooky

King of the- pride

Purred: Tue Sep 9, '08 8:21pm PST 
In our house dad does mornings and mum does nights!
So it's half and half here.
Cya!
[notify]

» There has since been 60 posts. Last posting by Church, Feb 5 4:32 pm

Food & Nutrition > Making your own catfood

Pooky

King of the- pride

Purred: Thu Apr 5, '07 3:54am PST 
Hi Ishii,
Here's a couple of sites that have a lot of info to help you out for starters:
http://www.holisticat.com/
http://www.catnutrition.org/

Also, here's some good tips on the transition to raw food diet:
http://www.rawfedcats.org/practicleguide.htm

Good luck with it!

cheer
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ishii, Apr 5 4:51 am

Behavior & Training > Need advice on angry peeing habit

Pooky

King of the- pride

Purred: Mon Jan 29, '07 6:25am PST 
Hi there
Great advice there from Phoenix. Just a point - I wouldn't necessarily assume she's doing it because she's angry. Although it seems like the 2 cats get along ok, cats can be very subtle and she may feel threatened when their territory is shrunk down to the spare room - especially if this is normally more the other cat's territory (do you happen to notice if the other cat spends more time in there when not locked in than Freya does?)
Still would try the suggestions Phoenix has in any case.
Good luck!!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Pooky, Jan 29 6:25 am

Laws & Legislation > Law in Australia

Pooky

King of the- pride

Purred: Sun Jan 28, '07 11:03pm PST 
Hi Impi
That drug trial that causes the ferals reproductive system to stop working sounds interesting - do you have any more info or links on that? I support desexing to reduce the number of kittens who can't find a home, but it's so dissapointing when these sorts of proposals are bundled up with things like inhumane measures to 'control' feral cat populations.
Thanks for any info!
cheer
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Audrey, Feb 4 7:59 pm

Cat Health > Have any kitties out there had acupuncture?
Pooky

King of the- pride

Purred: Mon Nov 20, '06 11:19pm PST 
Hi Barkley
Our human grandma's cat had acupuncture for a back problem. It wasn't clear what had caused her problem - not sure how old she is, and not sure if she had an accident but one day she seemed to have problems with her back legs and tail.
In her case there was an immediate improvement in her movement right after the treatment - I think from memory the most obvious thing was her tail was hanging down and then after the treatment she was holding it up normally. She only had one treatment, but now some months later she looks to maybe be having a slight difficulty with her back legs again so it may be time for another treatment for her.
Good luck with it!
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Nov 28 1:29 pm

Behavior & Training > Bad scratching

Pooky

King of the- pride

Purred: Fri Nov 10, '06 3:54am PST 
It can be a difficult one! We finally solved the problem by getting many scratching posts and trying to put them in areas where the cats wanted to scratch. sometimes this takes a bit of trial and error.
We are not quite 100% perfect in not scratching the actual carpet occasionally though ...
This article is quite good :
http://www.catscratching.com/
I'd certainly agree it's important to make sure the scratching posts are tall enough for you to stretch fully upwards when scratching and stable enough that they dont' wobble or tip over when you use them. On the other hand I wouldn't necessarily agree that ALL cats prefer vertical scratching over horizontal. In my experience SOME cats seem to prefer some flat surfaces to use.
Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Fluffy, Nov 12 6:18 am

Food & Nutrition > Socially conscious cat food?

Pooky

King of the- pride

Purred: Wed Nov 8, '06 8:37am PST 
Sneakers I'm not even talking about free range - for example the following is from one of the website links:

"Certified Humane Raised & Handled
-- This is a reliable label --
Found on: eggs beef, chicken, lamb, pork, turkey
Where to find Certified Humane products

WHAT THIS LABEL MEANS:
The "Certified Humane Raised and Handled" is designed to certify that animals raised for dairy, lamb, poultry and beef products are treated in a humane manner. Under the program, growth hormones are prohibited and animals are raised on a diet without antibiotics. Antibiotics can be used in the treatment of sick animals. Access to clean and sufficient food and water; and a safe and healthful living environment is also required from birth through slaughter. Producers also must comply with environmental standards. Processors must comply with the American Meat Institute Standards, a higher standard for slaughtering farm animals than required by the Federal Humane Slaughter Act. The standards for the "Certified Humane" program were developed by a team of animal scientists and veterinarians that make up the program's Scientific Committee and were based in part on the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals standards developed in the United Kingdom.

All farms wishing to be certified must be inspected and standards must be met before a product can be certified. Inspectors have training and education in Animal Science, Veterinary Medicine, or other relevant backgrounds and several are also members of the Scientific Committee. In addition, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) Livestock and Seed Program verifies the inspection process of the Certified Humane Raised and Handled program.

CONSUMERS UNION EVALUATION:
How meaningful is the label?
"Certified Humane" is a highly meaningful label that indicates that meat, dairy and egg products came from animals that were treated humanely. The label standards were developed by the Scientific Advisory Board which had previously left the "Free Farmed" label program."

Sorry if I've missed something, but if all that stuff isn't even required by law (ie it's like a 'step up' from what IS done) I think that's pretty cruddy!!! Not just from an animal welfare point of view either - how healthy is it to eat meat from animals eating growth hormones and who don't have proper access to food and water? Re the antibiotics being in the diet (even when the animals aren't sick) I thought was a pretty good recipe for creating resistance to antibiotics in the disease causing bacteria - NOT what you'd think you'd want as the farmer!

Just my rant on our crazy society...... smile
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Emma, Nov 11 11:25 am

Food & Nutrition > Socially conscious cat food?

Pooky

King of the- pride

Purred: Wed Nov 1, '06 8:55am PST 
Those links for certified humane etc are great.
I couldn't help thinking though that even those standards aren't that stringent - why would it be so onerous for ALL animals to be farmed that way? It should be the law!
Then again here in Australia we don't even have the 'certified humane' thing (let alone law to make it mandatory)
We try to at least get organic and free range where we can, the more people that start asking for it and buying it the more likely it will become widespread I guess.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Emma, Nov 11 11:25 am

Cat Health > non toxic cleaner???
Pooky

King of the- pride

Purred: Tue Sep 5, '06 5:50am PST 
we just use normal dishwashing liquid - the kind that is used for human dishes...
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kizmet, Sep 5 1:51 pm

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.