Postings by Mordred,PAWS

GO!

(Page 1 of 21: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Cats and a Clean Home > Need to contain cat peeing oustide box....suggestions?
Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Tue May 5, '15 1:17pm PST 
Mordred's mom here.

Arthur made an excellent point: at 17, she may well have renal insufficiency - CKD (chronic kidney disease).

Another consideration is arthritis; it may be painful for her to climb into a litter box. I myself had to have my bathtub replaced with a walk-in shower because my arthritic knees made it painful for me to step over the side of the tub.

Talk to her doctor about both possibilities.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Arthur (Miss You! '93-'09), May 7 10:50 am

Food & Nutrition > Is my cat overweight?
Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Tue May 5, '15 1:12pm PST 
Merlin's absolutely right about the canned food; if your cat will eat it, slowly transition him to it.

An important point to remember - and it's often overlooked - is genetics. If your cat's mother was a big cat, then her children generally will be, too. It's true for horses, humans, and cats, too! For example, my Mordred is a big boy - 16 pounds is as low as he's ever been; he used to be 18 - changing to a higher-grade food helped him become more active, and he lost a bit of weight. He's a big guy - his tail is thick and powerful - he's actually knocked things out of my hand with it! So I know he's not meant to be 10 or 12 pounds. Your cat's breeding is an important consideration, but even a big one can be overweight. You are wise to want to keep the weight within acceptable limits, but you must consider things other than *just* the pound number.

When you look at your cat from above, does he have a defined "waist"? If so, he's probably ok. Can you feel his ribs if you press on his ribcage? Can you feel his backbone, his hips without pressing too hard? If so, he may be just fine. Next time you have him to the vet, ask the doctor what s/he thinks.

Bless you for being an aware cat human!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Tue 8:37 am

Cats and a Clean Home > Which litter box is best to prevent tracking?

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Sun Apr 26, '15 8:26am PST 
Your high-sided boxes are best for keeping litter from being thrown out - although there's always the "door" MOL! The tracking has more to do with the litter than with the box, I think; litter sticks to paws, paws move around the house, and litter is dropped. Sad fact of life. I find a rechargeable stick vac is wonderful for tracked litter, so you might consider that.

Covered (or "hooded") boxes are generally not recommended because they not only hold litter in, they also hold odor in If the box becomes too full of odor, the cat may stop using it - and then you have a bigger problem! frown

Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mordred,PAWS, Apr 26 8:26 am

Cat Health > What cat insurance do you guys have?

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Wed Jan 21, '15 7:32am PST 
With both VPI and PetPlan, I've had no issues at all with filing a claim. No one's mentioned pre-existing conditions; I think VPI does not cover animals with pre-existing conditions. PetPlan does BUT - as I learned - they cover the animal for other conditions but not for pre-existing. When Althea had to have some teeth removed, PetPlan didn't pay because at a previous exam, the doctor had noted that she had some periodontal disease, considered a pre-existing condition. Just FYI
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Jan 23 3:26 am

Behavior & Training > help..he cries and digs at daughters window to be let in all through night..

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Thu Jan 15, '15 8:43am PST 
No pet cat should be left out at night; there are too many dangers out there. Is he neutered? That's the first step. If he's not neutered, have that done immediately; perhaps he wants out to find a female. If he's already neutered, then he needs to be kept in at night for his own safety. It may be that you need to consult a behaviorist, but his constant in/out/in cannot go on.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Amber, Jan 24 10:57 pm

Cat Health > What cat insurance do you guys have?
Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Thu Jan 15, '15 8:37am PST 
Pet health insurance is a must these days! Veterinary medicine has advanced - thanks be to God! - and that makes the cost go up. We never know what might happen. I had VPI and wasn't happy with the little that they paid for Mordred's ultrasound, so I switched to PetPlan; they have no benefits statement, so they pay whatever percentage you have selected when you bought the plan. The higher the percentage paid, of course, the higher your premiums. So far, I've been happy with them.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Jan 23 3:26 am

Food & Nutrition > What are the least expensive brands of grain-free cat food (both canned and dry)?

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Thu Sep 18, '14 5:14pm PST 
Visit chewy.com; they carry many, many brands, and for each brand, they give the info on ingredients. There are also consumer reviews, which can prove helpful. It will be extremely easy to compare prices for the different foods. Shipping is free for $49 or more; I placed an order last night and it arrived already! I've found Dave's to be good and much less expensive than the big-name stuff. Look it up - and good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Mar 26 6:51 pm

Cat Health > How to get our kitty to play?

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Wed Sep 3, '14 10:27pm PST 
Oh, gee, this has got to be so sad for you! I can't offer much, but I can tell you that Mordred, whom I adopted as a kitten, never played very much. What kind of canned food are you feeding? I used to feed just dry, but then I read about different kinds of food. Several years ago, I switched to a grain-free dry food (Taste of the Wild), and noticed that Mordred seemed more active. So that's a thought - try to feed grain-free. If the current food has grain (which are carbs) that could explain the weight gain - and the weight gain itself could be a cause of less activity. After all, it's harder to move more mass around!

If you go the grain-free way, do be patient; it really takes weeks and weeks - maybe a couple of months or more - for the difference to show.

If you're already feeding grain-free, then I have no idea what to suggest. I do wish you the best of luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mordred,PAWS, Sep 3 10:27 pm

Cat Health > Thoughts on pet insurance?

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Sat Aug 23, '14 9:53pm PST 
You are very wise and prudent to be looking into medical insurance! Just be aware that it will cost you more to insure a 7-year-old than a kitten. Does it help? For me, it certainly did. When Mordred, at age 9, was diagnosed with a heart murmur by his new vet ( which his old one had missed altogether), I took Mordred to a cardiologist for an ultrasound. The cost was more than $500, but Mordred's insurance paid more than half. (I apologize I don't remember the exact figures.) Mordred is an indoor cat, 18 pounds, on good food and with no previous medical issues - which just goes to show that anything can show up at any time. I used to have VPI, but didn't like their system; I now have Pet Plan and have been satisfied. Just watch: they say they'll insure a cat (or dog) with a pre-existing condition - and they do - but they won't pay anything toward a recurrence of that condition.

Bottom line: I wouldn't be without it. Veterinary medicine is evolving quickly, but that evolution comes with a higher price tag - which is only fair. I decided on insurance after I'd read on a pet-loss site several people who had no choice but to euthanize a beloved furchild because the people simply did not have the money needed for an expensive surgery or treatment. I never want to be among them, so - insurance.

Google "pet insurance" - you'll find many, many choices, so do your homework, considering your needs and budget. Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mordred,PAWS, Aug 23 9:53 pm

Cat Health > Kitty may have cancer-very scared
Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Wed Jun 4, '14 11:11am PST 
Mindy, we can't add much to what the others have said. Mom's been through this with several furchilren, and it is unbearably difficult and painful. Mom sometimes looks at us and almost hopes she leaves first - but then, that would leave us behind, and she couldn't be happy with that.

Listen to your heart and to your regular vet; like the others, I wouldn't go back to the person who treated her so roughly. She's sick, and she needs gentle care. If your vet thinks steroids would help, by all means, try that. You need time to adjust. I can tell you from personal experience: Willy Wonka had acute kidney failure, and I knew he'd be leaving. I nursed him and nursed him, watched over him, agonized over him - it reached the point that, although I certainly did NOT want him to go, I just wanted this to be over with! It was too difficult to watch him slide downhill; the emotional toll was heavy.

Listen to your heart, and have faith in Mindy's Creator; He, after all, is the One who lent her to you, and He's trying to help you prepare for taking her Home. REMEMBER, though, that you, too, will go Home when the time is right, and you and Mindy will be reunited forever - no more parting, ever! In the meantime, she'll be gloriously alive, perfectly healthy, and blissfully happy waiting for you.

May Mindy's Creator bless you with the faith, the strength, the courage, and the wisdom you will need, and then may He bless you with peace of heart.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Mindy, Jul 7 1:21 am

(Page 1 of 21: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.