Postings by Althea, PAWS

GO!

(Page 1 of 18: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  

Cats & Travel > Should they stay or should they come?
Althea, PAWS

The Special,- Precious, Petite- PrinCESS

Purred: Mon Dec 15, '14 3:46pm PST 
You must not be the first person to be in this quandry. I'll just give you the benefit of my similar experience.

I'm a senior citizen with a vacation home in the mountains, about a 5 to 6 hour drive from home; when I visit there, all three house cats go with me. I admit: they hate the trip, but they're good travelers. They've all been doing this for many years (7,12,13), so they know the ropes.

First, make sure your cats are chipped AND wear a harness with every bit of info on it. MIne wear their rabies tags, their insurance tags, their i.d. tags. On the i.d. tags, I have both my home and vacation numbers; you should put your number and your parents' number. And get a small dog harness for each of them, with a leash; do NOT get a figure-8 harness, which seem to be popular, because the cat can be hanged if it catches up on something.

I'd recommend the largest carriers you can fit into your vehicle - one for each cat - big enough to hold a bed and a small litter box. You can buy throw-away boxes cheaply. I find that mine don't generally eat or drink on the trips, but your trip is longer, so it would probably be a good idea to stop somewhere and offer water - saved from a can of tuna would be good, entice them to drink. Be certain to leave teh leashes attached at all times (small leashes are soft - the cat can lie on them without discomfort - and keep hold of the leash when opening the carrier.

When you get to your parentes', put the cats, still in their carriers, into your room; leave a light on if it's dark. Put your own things there, close the door and go greet your family. The cats will hear your voice, and that will reassure them. After a while, go in and open the carrier doors. Put down a *little* food and some water; reassure them - and leave them to explore, making sure to close the bedroom door. By the next morning, you should be able to leave the bedroom door open and let them explore the new surroundings. Mine have made the trip to the mountains so many times now that they're just as much home there as here. If you take the cats now, while they're young, and get them used to their "vacation" home, it will be the same as home to them.

One caveat: they might not like traveling - mine don't - they hide if i change clothes in the morning, for that's a sign that I'm going out and it might mean THE TRIP! Some cats like it; some don't. YOu'll just have to see how yours are.

All that being said, cats do tend to be territorial; I read somewhere, long ago, that dogs are attached to people, but cats are attached to places. I have no idea if this is true, but just put it out there for your consideration. It might be that your cats will be less stressed in their own environment with a catsitter whom they know and you trust. The thing is - we miss them so! I was in hospital for 2 nights last week; even in my drugged state, I missed my Althea. It's your choice, of course, but perhpos making the cats 'world travelers' now will make life easier for them.

Whatever you decide, God bless you for caring so deeply.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Althea, PAWS, Mon 3:46 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > My cat died suddenly and even the vet can't tell me why
Althea, PAWS

Purred: Wed Nov 26, '14 11:07am PST 
How utterly horrible for you! I have no idea what could have caused your beloved baby to make such a suddent and unexpected transition, but I know your pain. Obviously, something was very wrong, and not knowing what it was will haunt you for a long time. Try to remember that you made his time on Earth a great one, full of love and care - which is so much more than so many cats ever have. He went to sleep in his own bed and woke up, gloriously alive, at Rainbow Bridge, where he waits for you.

I am so, so sorry for your pain; may the Creator comfort you and help you to find peace.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Wally RIP 4/4/10 - 11/19/14, Dec 1 1:19 pm

Senior Cats > My sweet baby passed away... I never got to say goodbye

Althea, PAWS

Purred: Mon Apr 28, '14 6:02pm PST 
Sometimes, they prefer to make their transitions by themselves; why, no one knows. Many, many years ago, I had a dog who had cancer; in those days, there was no treatment. He disappeared one day, and I called his doctor, who told me that Spanky had probably gone off to die on his own. We live in a rural area, and the places he could go seemed limitless, but I took our other dog, Duchess - who found Spanky in a cornfield about a quarter mile from home. I had to carry him home.

This is impossibly hard on you; the not-knowing is agony. Skye has done what is best for her; she probably didn't realize how very painful it would be for you. If she's made her trasition, which seems likely, then all is well with her; try to think of her that way: gloriously alive and blissfully happy, waiting at the Bridge for you. I hope that Skye's Creator will help you to find peace.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Stella, Apr 28 8:27 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > New here and looking for support

Althea, PAWS

Purred: Sun Apr 13, '14 9:32am PST 
Your pain is still new, and, being new, is still raw. I promise: it won't hurt this much forever, but it does take time. Fifteen years is a long time to share your home and your life; your bond didn't form in a day, and the grief won't ease quickly, either.

Do you know the story of the Rainbow Bridge? If not, please look it up; it's very, very comforting - the story of where our furchildren wait for us. Yes, they DO wait! We will be reunited with them in time; for us, it will likely be many years, but for them - well, there is no "time" in Heaven, so it will be as the blink of an eye.

Your beloved Austin lives at the Bridge now - gloriously alive, perfectly healthy, and blissfully happy - waiting for you to join him. What a reunion that will be! See, death is not an end; it is merely the transition to a beautiful form of life we are not yet permitted to know. Cry for yourself, for Austin's absence from your physical life, but force a smile for him and the happiness he now knows.

May Austin's Creator bless you with faith, comfort, and peace.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, Apr 13 9:10 pm

Cat Health > What do you guys think?

Althea, PAWS

Purred: Sat Mar 29, '14 3:34pm PST 
Thank you for taking the time to let us know. "Dapper Dan" - what an adorable name! Well, little Dan is more "dapper" than ever - gloriously alive at the Bridge and perfectly healthy and happy. At the very least, he made his transition knowing love and has not passed unknown and unmourned, which is much more than many kitties ever have. Play on, Dapper Dan - and wait at the Bridge for the one who cares!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 2 3:40 am

Cat Health > Having trouble affording Arwen's spay.
Althea, PAWS

Purred: Mon Mar 24, '14 12:56pm PST 
Please google Spay and Neuter All Pets" It is an organization dedicated to helping in situations such as yours. You can get a voucher for a discounted rate. And please do it TODAY! Arwen should have been spayed before this; she can't wait any longer!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Buffy, Mar 30 1:25 pm

Cat Health > Is my cat starting to go blind? Help!

Althea, PAWS

Purred: Sun Mar 23, '14 8:16am PST 
The only choice is the vet - and this comes from me, who lost the sight in one eye.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Althea, PAWS, Mar 23 8:16 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Help! Rescuing a Cat that's been caged for a year or more! :(

Althea, PAWS

Purred: Tue Mar 18, '14 6:57am PST 
Blessings to you for wanting to help. If this cat is kept caged and is elimimating in his own quarters (the cage), that is a clear case of animal abuse and needs to be reported to the local humane society. That cat is *suffering* and that suffering needs to be addressed immediately. Please either take the cat or report his horrific conditions to the humane society - please!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sacha, Mar 18 7:24 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > how do i say goodbye ?

Althea, PAWS

Purred: Thu Mar 13, '14 5:35pm PST 
It's good to know that Mac is feeling a bit better, and we all hope he stays that way for many, many days. It's one of the conditions of loving: those who love, suffer. It's so much harder to watch a loved one suffer than to suffer ourselves, but that's how love is. Remember that if the time comes that you have to help him go: the pain will be all yours; there will be none for him. He will be met on The Other Side by angels and friends, and welcomed with Love. Your tears will be for yourself. For now, accept each good day as the blessing it is; tell Mac each day how much you love him. We've all been where you are (and most likely will be again, at least, in my case), so we empathize. Your journey is yours alone, but there are friends all around who will support you. May Mac's Creator bless you with all that you need to see Mac through this.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Natasha, Apr 23 3:51 am

Cat Health > My kitty is so so sick. FIP
Althea, PAWS

Purred: Wed Mar 12, '14 1:35pm PST 
Most of us here, including me, have been where you are: you know that your furchild is leaving,no matter what you do, and it hurts beyond belief. Your concern has to be for Mina, not for yourself; try to imagine - if you felt as she does and knew that nothing more could be done - would you want to stay here until your body finally gave out, suffering every minute? Or would you rather just go to sleep - and wake up in a place more beautiful than you ever imagined, full of beauty and love, surrounded by friends? That is what is waiting for Mina - and for you, when the time comes. Keeping Mina comfortable may mean just being with her, not forcing meds or food or even water on her; doing those things may just prolong the process. Be with her; love her - and let her go. Your love makes her yours forever.

May Mina's Creator bless you with the faith, the courage, and the strength that you need to see Mina to the Bridge, and then may He comfort you and lead your heart to peace.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Wolfgangg, Mar 20 8:35 pm

(Page 1 of 18: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.