Postings by Zina - 6/10/2000 - 12/6/2006

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Cat Health > Please help! Trouble is sick...
Zina - 6/10/2000 - 12/6/2006

can I go with- you, pleeeeease?

Purred: Sat Jul 15, '06 6:17am PST 
It's horrible what happened to you and your family, Trouble.
BUT...
You can now purrrr along with the rest of us! We'll purrr very loud, and hopefully your mommy will hear us and feel a little bit better. We are in a good place now. We don't understand the meaning of the word "pain" any more.
[notify]

» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Mercy (In Memoriam), Jul 18 12:08 am

Party Time & Virtual Play Dates > Friends at Rainbow Bridge!!!

Purred: Sat Jul 8, '06 12:57pm PST 
Any paper balls for me? I'm rather new here, and I miss my parents who would throw paper balls for me in a fetch game....
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Nov 21 10:14 pm

Cat Health > Breathing fast!

Purred: Tue Jul 4, '06 7:28am PST 
You are right Merlin, cats do pant, and it is absolutely nothing to worry about if it's due to heat exposure or above average activity. Every member of my family panted at some point, mainly when we were hot, but some of us after a really good fetch or chase game.
Panting becomes a problem when none of the above aspects are present. Then it should be taken seriousely, or at least a kitty should be observed closely.
My parents are asking themselves all sorts of questions - how didn't they notice that I was so ill... but I can tell you, I didn't show any of the symptoms (panting, breathing fast, etc) until it was too late. Even after they found out what's wrong with me, I didn't pant. I only purred, and purrred until the end to make them feel better.
Here is the link to learn something more about HCM:
http://maxshouse.com/hypertrophic_ cardiomyopathy.htm
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Mya, Jan 1 3:18 pm

Cat Health > Breathing fast!

Purred: Mon Jul 3, '06 9:22am PST 
Lucy, I don't want to frighten your Mum, but after I saw what Quasar wrote, I feel the responsibility to warn you...
HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) is a sneaky illness. I was perfectly healthy and happy cat and it all changed in literally 5 minutes. I was never breathing fast, never even panting...
The blood clot from my heart let loose and ended up in my lower extremities' artheries. I ended up being paralized in my hind legs. My Daddy took me to the Vet, where they did ECG and ultrasound tests, only to confirm HCM. There wasn't much to be done for me. They tried all they could the next 2 days, but my condition didn't improve. I purred to them to let me go, I was in great pain. So they did... I left this world exactly 3 weeks ago.
Another thing Lucy, I see you are a longhaired breed, so was Quasar. This illness is hereditary, and longhair breeds are more susceptible to it than others. My Grandma was persian, so I must have gotten the "bad" gene from her.
My human Mum took my kitty-Mum and my sister for cardio-testing last Friday, to rule out HCM. Luckily their hearts and blood vessels show no abnormailities. What a relief!
So, if it's not too expensive, I would advise your Mum also to do so. Just to be sure. With HCM you never know you have it, until it's allready too late.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Mya, Jan 1 3:18 pm

Cat Health > Bird flu and cats

Purred: Sun Mar 12, '06 12:43pm PST 
The cat in Germany which died of bird flu was catching and eating infected birds. If you don't eat birds, you are safe. The virus transmitted from one cat to another is not recorded, and it is not (yet) a threat.
3 cats in Austria (in cat shelter) were confirmed with cat flu. I heard that they managed to save them (but still haven't read about that myself).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4761024.stm

So, there's no need for panick (especially if you don't live in Europe and Asia).
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Zina - 6/10/2000 - 12/6/2006, Mar 12 12:43 pm

Cat Health > Hi, I'm new and I'm sick :(

Purred: Fri Feb 10, '06 8:00am PST 
Back in the 80's, my Mama had a kitty called Balthazar. There was no cat or dog food available for humans to buy and feed their pets with it. So, Balthazar ate human food, including ham, salami, salty stuff, almost anything... He got sick, couldn't pee, and had to be taken to the vet for "bladder squeezing". UTI he had was sort of periodical illness, so he usually got it during winter time. It was awfully painful for him, but obviously the veterinary practice back then was horrible.
When he was 4 yrs old, his periodical UTI become so nasty that he was actually dying of the urine-blood poisoning. They couldn't do anything for him but to put him to sleep. My Mama was a little girl back then, and couldn't understand why he had to die. She hated all the vets and she wasn't allowed to have another cat due to stress and shock entire family was put through.
Luckily, the veterinary medicine has made the huge progress since the 80's, and we are all happy to know that UTI is treatable. If any of us ever gets it. Obtaining the urine sample wouldn't be much of a problem, because most of us pee with our butts high above the litter.
So, be brave and force your vet to treat you immediately.
[notify]

» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Benjamin, Feb 13 2:37 pm

Other Meows & Purrs > Calling all international kitties!

Purred: Fri Jan 27, '06 8:36am PST 
Where is everyone?
Hibernating? That might apply for us - it's been unbelievably cold throughout Europe (especially in Russia) but the temperatures are rising as from today. We had -15 C, even the Adriatic sea froze, and that's VERY UNUSUAL.
But what about y'all southern hemisphere kitties, are you enjoying your siesta's? Too hot to move a paw?
[notify]

» There has since been 41 posts. Last posting by Snowy, Apr 15 7:22 am

Cats & Travel > Indoor or Outdoor

Purred: Fri Jan 20, '06 3:40am PST 
We are also 90% indoor kitties. We live in a flat on the 3rd floor, and we are allowed only on the small balcony when it's warm outside. Now it's cold, and Mama lets us out only in the morning for a few minutes to count the birds in the neighbourhood.
But during the summer, when our parents (and other humans) migrate to the coast and islands, we get to go with them. They usually go to their summer house with garden in the beginning of June or September, during the lower tourist season. We LOVE to be there. We are allowed to be outside all the time, we can enter the house through the opened kitchen and bathroom window on the ground floor. When our parents go to the beach, they leave the windows opened for us, but we usually stay inside the house while they are gone. It's safer. As they come back, we all start crawling out. We feel safer being outside when they are around. Every evening they chase us around the garden to put us inside. That's because they don't want us to fight with local feral cats. We usually get beaten up. If it can be prevented, why not?
[notify]

» There has since been 64 posts. Last posting by Diesel, Nov 5 3:34 pm

Cats & Travel > car rides

Purred: Fri Dec 30, '05 1:25am PST 
When I travel alone with Ma and Dad, I'm allowed outside the carrier. I sit in Mama's lap and I'm quiet and satisfied the whole time.
But, when all of us are travelling - that procedure doesn't apply. Parents have to fold the back-seats and they fill the car with us in our carriers. No one is allowed outside. It's a bit traumatic, cause one of us sings all the time (Orlando), and us others join in. So, it's a bit of a concerto. When a car stops, we stop singing. We are the best speed detectors. If Dad is speeding, we sing louder... Only Ozren sleeps quietly in his carrier. Only Ozren uses the cat toillet during the drive. Only Ozren eats during the drive. It is usually a 5 hr drive. And we get to go on a ferry. Mama takes us out one by one and shows us the sea while on ferry.
I must admit that we are used to being in a car. A little bit of annoying sounds, but at the end, we all get to be in the garden for 2-3 whole weeks, so the drive always pays off. It's quite a reward (and we somehow know it in advance).
[notify]

» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by ghost, Apr 23 9:43 am

Party Time & Virtual Play Dates > City Kitty

Purred: Thu Dec 29, '05 8:26am PST 
In our "little" city snow is falling massively. For two days now. It is impossible for humans to get from the point A to the point B easily.
We don't have that kind of problems. big grin
We just sit by the window and watch the snowflakes. It's rather interesting.
We hope Mama doesn't come up with stupid idea to take us down to the backyard where the snow is deeeeeeep (and cold and moist and unpleasant).
[notify]

» There has since been 84 posts. Last posting by Squeakers (Gone Too Soon), Mar 5 6:55 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.