Postings by Frisco

GO!

Cat Health > Newborn Kittens' Nails Turning Black!

Frisco

Feral Frisco!

Purred: Wed Sep 26, '12 6:33pm PST 
My Sassy and Junior both had black nails, I did not see them as newborns though. Frisco has some black nails and some white nails but again I first met him when he was 6 weeks old.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Frisco, Sep 26 6:33 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > Young stray found
Frisco

Feral Frisco!

Purred: Tue Sep 11, '12 12:28pm PST 
If he is social and you think that he would do fine in a home. Contact the rescues and shelters again, if they are full ask them if they will courtesy post him for you. That's where the animal appears on the shelter/rescues website but the shelter/rescue does not take any responsibility for the animal, they will put your contact info down with the listing and people who are interested in him will be instructed to contact you and that the shelter/rescue has nothing to do with the adoption, medical bills, etc.

If you have the funds, I would try and take him to the vets to get medical attention, neutered, FIV/FeLuk test. Keep him separate from your other animals at least until he's medically clear. If you are worried about him being with your other cats then keep him confined away from your other animals but beware that he will need more play as he will be going from having the whole world to roam to having a room and excess energy can be harmful to your furniture/carpet/walls/etc.

I have fostered cats and some dogs for years. Cats coming from outside tend to be a little crazy the first week or two that they are brought inside, then they tend to calm down. They require a good amount of play and attention as they need to get used to people coming in to say hi and they need to realize that being inside is a great thing.

Even if you cannot bring him inside I would try and take him to a vet and get him neutered so that you dont have kittens in the future.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Frisco, Sep 11 12:28 pm

Cat Health > Feral kittens found abandoned...question about feral mama kitty...

Frisco

Feral Frisco!

Purred: Sun Aug 26, '12 9:49pm PST 
The bag idea is a great one!! Lots of cats can escape through dog crates, they are able to really squeeze their body's and twist to get out through any little opening. If your mom decides to try and grab her be very careful, cat bites and scratches can get infected VERY easily and tend to cause more damage than most dog bites as cats are very good at hitting nerves. I would suggest using a top loading carrier as its easier for us to get them in as you can scruff them and set them on the bottom and hold the scruff until the very last second (i close the top as much as possible and have a friend standing by to slam it closed and lock it once I get my arm out). With front loader its a little harder to close the door without them bolting out.

Good Luck with her and the babies..
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Frisco, Aug 26 9:49 pm

Cat Health > Feral kittens found abandoned...question about feral mama kitty...

Frisco

Feral Frisco!

Purred: Sat Aug 25, '12 6:14am PST 
Its so sad to hear about what Honey is going through but it is wonderful that you are trying your best to help her and the other cats in your area. I don't think its possible for kittens to be born that close to each other from the same mother however it is very possible that Honey adopted them if the mother died or abandoned them. That would also make sense why she ignored them all day, she wants to take care of them but her personal kittens are a higher priority in her mind.

As for poor honey, I have also had the experience of having a cat that could get in and out of traps without setting them off, I actually watched the female feral that lives in my neighbors yard under her porch (we both feed her) go into the trap, take the can of food out, and walk away with the can...she never set the trap off!! It was so frustrating!!

Then I started getting creative and my friend gave me some ideas...first, we stopped using canned food and instead used a chicken leg tied to the far end of the trap, this way she could not get it out of the trap. Then we put a smaller piece of chicken hanging from the top of the trap just in front of the trigger plate, this way she would try to grab the chicken and pull it down, falling on the trigger plate and setting off the trap. Using these two methods together we got her after just one night!! Maybe this would work with Honey...
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Frisco, Aug 26 9:49 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.