Postings by Sasafrace *Rest in Peace*

GO!

Cat Health > Shots for Indoor Cats

Sasafrace- *Rest in- Peace*

Forever and- Always in my- heart

Purred: Sun Sep 16, '12 5:33am PST 
If you get the rabies I beg you to get the 1 yr purvax rabies!! I have seen cats with vaccine sarcomas and it is horrible to look at and very painful for the cat and likely could have been prevented by them not getting the 3 yr rabies vax. I work at a feline only vet hospital (no dogs or other animals allowed!) and I have seen many cats who had to have surgery due to the vaccine sarcomas..it is much safer to go with the 1 yr purvax rabies than the 3 yr vaccine for cats

Personally, I get my cats the kitten shots and the 1 yr boosters (not given at the same time, i leave at least 2 weeks between vaccines) then I dont get them any more shots. Larry is the only exception, I get him his rabies (1 yr purvax) when we are going away (not that often, maybe once every 3 or 4 yrs)...i have a cat sitter but Larry is a little crazy and will bite so I like to have a current rabies for him just in case he decides to go off on my poor cat sitter.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Toast, Sep 17 10:14 am

Cat Health > Tough choice and need opinions

Purred: Mon Aug 27, '12 12:18pm PST 
I had this debate when Sassy was diagnosed with diabetes. He was 16 when diagnosed and I could help but thinking would he be happy if/when the diabetes was regulated. He was diagnosed in December and we started him on the insulin (he started with 2 units of insulin twice a day) shots, I have to say that Sassy who would not let me do anything except shave him was fine with the insulin shots so long as he was eating while I gave them. The needle is VERY small and it did not bother him at all. I would give him some wet food and after he started eating I would quickly give him the shot. I was willing to do anything to save him but by April he was up to 5 units of insulin twice a day (a VERY large dose for a cat) and was extremely underweight (weight loss is a symptom of diabetes). He would no longer purr and had separated himself from the rest of the family, I decided to have him put down. It was the hardest decision I have ever made, especially since Sassy had been with me since I was 4 years old, I cant even remember not having him in my life. I'm not saying that I don't love my other cats just as much but Sassy was my baby and he had always been with me..we got him right after my dad died so he was very special to me. I hated having to put him down but I knew in my heart that he was not happy and I could not see him being miserable just because I did not want to let him go, it would be selfish.

I would try the insulin and see how she reacts, try making it a positive experience like I did with Sassy, give your kitty wet food or a special treat that will keep her busy while you give the shot. If she responds well to the insulin then all is well and she may live for a long while. If, like Sassy, she does not respond well to the insulin then you know that you did everything that you could to save her.

The insulin for Sassy was not that expensive, it was $80 for a vial which lasted for 2 and a half months on Sassy's dosage...the vials although they look small last a very long time based on your cats dosage. Also for the needles, ask your vet what gauge insulin syringe they want you to use and you can get them a Walmart for cheap, I think its like 100 syringes for %10.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by ~Avail~ 02/14/00 - 09/17/13, Aug 31 2:32 pm

Cat Health > Vomiting...HELP

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 6:35pm PST 
Thanks so much, I sent Alex's website to Tina's foster mom who is in the process of changing her food over based on the info on the site and we got her an elevated food bowl. She is such a great kitty that once this is under control Im sure we will be able to find her a home, hopefully with a vet or a vet tech...Ive already mentioned her to some people who I know that work at different vets in the area.

I will let her foster know to contact Alex's mom for any help. Thanks so much, you guys are the best!!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sasafrace *Rest in Peace*, Aug 24 6:35 pm

Purred: Wed Aug 22, '12 3:34pm PST 
Thanks for the help everybody! I will get this info to Tina's foster mom asap
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sasafrace *Rest in Peace*, Aug 24 6:35 pm

Purred: Wed Aug 22, '12 2:35am PST 
My friend is fostering a cat who has been returned to the rescue 4 times due to her vomiting. She is a DSH buff spayed female between 4 and 6 years old. The cat, Tina, is very sweet but she randomly vomits her food. Patina does not eat fast, it usually takes her about 4 hours to eat her breakfast and all night to finish her dinner. They have had her on multiple foods, all with different proteins and formulas. She is slightly overweight but nothing compared to most cats (including mine), the vet said if Tina lost about 1.5 lbs she would be a perfect weight.

The rescue has had a CBC done on her and had abdominal x-rays done....everything came back normal and there was nothing wrong in the x-rays. The vet said that he thinks it might be Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), he said the only way to confirm is to do an biopsy of the intestines, obtaining biopsies involves anesthesia and either surgery or endoscopy. The rescue does not have the money to do this right now and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on other things the rescue should test for...The vet put her on an anti-inflammatory as that is one of the meds he would use if she was confirmed to have IBD.

The rescue is no-kill so there is no risk of anything happening to Tina, she will just stay in her foster home until she gets adopted. I just really love this cat and want her to have a home of her own, as her foster always has cats going in and out of her home and Tina is confined to a single room so she cannot catch anything from new rescues. The foster keeps pairing her up with new cats after they have been in rescue for awhile (so they know they are healthy) so right now Tina has the company of a 5 week old blind kitten. But when her friends get adopted, she is left behind and I feel so bad for her...I would adopt her but she is scared of dogs and with 6 dogs of my own it would not be fair to her.

Does anyone have any thing that they could ask the vet to test for or meds they could try to get the vomiting to be less frequent? Also, does anyone have tips on dealing with this issue that could be given to the foster and/or potential adopters??

Thanks
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Sasafrace *Rest in Peace*, Aug 24 6:35 pm

Grooming > Are lion cuts stressful for kitties?

Purred: Thu Aug 9, '12 5:46pm PST 
I started giving Sassy a lion cut-like clip when he turned 14 as he was unable to groom himself anymore and he protested brushing as it aggravated him. Without him grooming himself the brushing had to be increased and he would get so upset, I decided to shave him (I work at a grooming shop). I got him used to the clippers by leaving them out and feeding him near them. I would turn them on and then give him a treat. After a couple weeks Sassy would go over to the clippers and headbutt them until I turned them on as he associated them with a treat. When I first went to shave him he was happy to lay down and get a treat every 10 minutes or so. The second time, he fell asleep while I was shaving him and that is how he was every time I shaved him after that, he would just go to sleep.

As for them feeling strange after getting the lion cut, the first time Sassy was licking his fur and then he started running around the house, I thought he was going crazy or scared as Sassy never ran unless food was involved...then I realized he was actually chasing shadows coming through the window. Sassy got much more playful when he was shaved and seemed much happier.

I think that having the mat is stressful for the cats as it pulls on the fur and limits movement. It is uncomfortable for the animal to have constant pressure on that one spot. Shaving them usually makes the animal happier and more active as the pressure and limited movement caused by the mat is gone.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jan 21 10:31 am

Behavior & Training > Ok i'm new and had a behavioral question

Purred: Thu Aug 2, '12 12:45pm PST 
Also try playing with him until he is exhausted. He may be attacking you because he has pent up energy.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Pippie, Aug 24 7:44 am

Choosing the Right Cat > 3 Males?

Purred: Sun Jul 22, '12 8:11pm PST 
I had 4 males when Sassy was still with us, and now we have the 3 boys left...They were always fine together, we never had issues when Ssssy was around but since he passed 2 of my boys are trying to figure out who is in charge (they have not hurt each other...they make a lot of noise then run away from each other). We fostered for a long time and never had issues bringing in cats or kittens as long as they are introduced correctly.

I personally love male cats...I know that females are just as lovable but I think my fosters have persuaded me towards the boys, the girl fosters I have had were not the nicest in the world with the exception of 2.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Daniel, Jul 24 11:04 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.