Postings by Ayla

GO!

Behavior & Training > Just playing too rough or trying to hurt?

Ayla

Ugly duckling- turned beautiful- swan!

Purred: Tue Aug 23, '05 6:05pm PST 
The general thought I've heard on this is that if there isn't any noise, there isn't a problem, but as you said there's noise I felt the need to respond. I had a similar problem with my two kittens, Ayla and Chandran. Chan is much bigger than his little "sister" and he liked to put her in a headlock and bite her head. It scared us so much at first! She made the most horrible noises, all later determined to be out of frustration. We decided not to interfere, even though we wanted to, because it only encouraged Chan to do it. After awhile, Ayla began sticking up for herself and Chan decided it wasn't that much fun anymore. I don't know if relaying that story helps at all, but I guess what I'm saying is it probably isn't a big deal. The little one is probably only making noise out of frustration and not pain, so it really shouldn't be anything to worry too much about.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Aug 24 11:54 am

Behavior & Training > Fraidy cats
Ayla

Ugly duckling- turned beautiful- swan!

Purred: Mon Aug 22, '05 1:00pm PST 
Yeah, it sounds like they didn't get much exposure to human cuddling. You're basically going to have to feel out the solution for yourself, unfortunately. I've dealt with many shy kitties before. Some do well being left to their devices and coming to you, and some do well being forced into being held and pet.

And yeah, a week in is still pretty early to determine how cats react to each other and their surroundings. I always find that after a month you'll have a good hold on the situation. That's not to say that everything will be fine then, but you'll have an idea of the progress you're making and where things are headed.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Hyde, Aug 24 7:17 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.