Postings by Merlyn

GO!

Behavior & Training > Using the Catflap

Merlyn

Purred: Sun Jul 31, '05 2:17pm PST 
Merlyn had some issues with the kittie door at first, too. I don't use treats with him, which I guess is a bit of an advantage. He figured out where it was, just... not how to get through. I'd see him sitting there, staring at it, and I'd go over and just push him through. Knowing that he saw where it was, but just didn't know how it worked... he learned, after I pushed him through a few times, that he could just walk right through. No damage done to Merlyn, and he learned pretty quickly, after that.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 8 1:18 pm

Other Meows & Purrs > I'm Declawed, Are You?
Merlyn

Purred: Tue Jul 26, '05 7:53pm PST 
Merlyn still has his claws, and they've never been clipped or filed. He *is* mostly an outside cat, though, so he really needs them. He's also never hurt a "little person" - the way I see it, my animals are pretty well trained to know the difference between a kid and an adult. Merlyn will take a lot of abuse from little kids, and he's never clawed or bitten any of them... on the other hand, if someone like myself so much as pets his tummy, he'll claw like there's no tomorrow!
I'm totally against declawing, but I'm also against keeping any of my kitties as "inside-only" animals, so I guess that's my main reasoning. I don't think it's bad to keep inside-only kitties, but seeing how all of my cats have been (especially Merlyn, being part feral)... I couldn't imagine trying to keep the little monsters inside all the time. If Merlyn couldn't climb trees, no doubt, he'd climb the curtains and claw the furniture, but he never has!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Merlyn, Jul 26 7:53 pm

Behavior & Training > The dog issue

Merlyn

Purred: Mon Jul 25, '05 7:48pm PST 
A lot of it does depend on the breed of dog, too.
Emma is a lab/rottweiler mix, and at 10 months, still a puppy. She's very curious about Merlyn, so when they aren't both sleeping, she's usually sniffing at him, and getting batted across the face with a paw. I just let them at it, and they either settle it themselves, or Merlyn goes outside to get away from the endless sniffing. I know they'd never hurt each-other, though... Emma would never hurt another animal, and they're both big enough to stand up for themselves. Lab puppies are VERY playful and curious, so I couldn't see it being too much of a problem.
Pit bulls also seem to be very good around kitties. I've never owned one, but I've had quite a few friends that have, or still do. I've watched my friend's adult female pit bull just lay there and let kittens chew on her ears, tail, etc. Occasionally, she'd roll over or start wagging her tail or raise her ears, just to humour the kittens. It seemed to keep them amused, and it was REALLY cute.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by BALLU, Sep 28 9:14 am

Behavior & Training > Are you untrained?

Merlyn

Purred: Mon Jul 25, '05 7:42pm PST 
I spend most of my time outside, wandering freely and playing with the neighbour kittie, Spooky. I know not to potty in the house, and I have a kittie door. If the kittie door isn't open, I meow until mommy lets me out.
I also know how to knock on the door, if I want to come back inside.
I used to play "fetch" but I got too lazy for that.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by JoeJoe, Jul 26 11:00 pm

Behavior & Training > I dont like going Potty outside !

Merlyn

Purred: Mon Jul 25, '05 7:39pm PST 
Does she not have a litter box, inside? Or is it that you want her to go outside, so you don't have the litter box issues, with cleaning and such?
If she doesn't already have one - get her a litter box. Teach her to use it, and every day, move it closer and closer to the door. She will pick up her scent, and go for it. Then, once it's right by the door, move it RIGHT outside. She'll learn to go to the door and let you know when she needs to potty, and then you can just let her out to do her business. After a few days, you should be okay to take the litter box away, and she'll just know to "tell" you when she needs to go outside.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ruby Rainbow Koch, Aug 9 1:42 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.