GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Food & Nutrition > Special needs allergy
Kenya

Diva- Extraordanaire!

Purred: Wed Dec 25, '13 8:19am PST 
Thank you.

Kenya is having issues with the duck now too so we've moved to Nature's Instinct LID Rabbit to see how she does there. I also bought the Raw Boost in Lamb for the kitten to put in her food so they're eating the same thing. I didn't know about that product, so thank you so much! I know there are a couple different thoughts on kitten diet and some say that they can eat the same food as the adults but I want her to have every advantage. Her vet also recommends her to be on a kitten food until she's about a year.

Kenya's next step, if the LID diets don't work is a hydrolized diet. I hope we don't have to go there but I'll do what I have to to keep her healthy.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Maizy , Dec 27 4:17 pm

Food & Nutrition > Special needs allergy
Kenya

Diva- Extraordanaire!

Purred: Sat Dec 14, '13 9:49am PST 
Hello! We've been on Catster for years but haven't been active in a very long time. I need some help though and was hoping that maybe the crew here could give me some pointers because I'm at my wits end!

Kenya is 14 and has been with me for 13 years. She's been getting sick lately and we were told that it's likely a food allergy to chicken. We switched to Natural Balance LID Duck and Green Pea and the majority of her issues disappeared (mostly vomiting and pooping and not being able to get to the litter box in time).

Here's the special needs part...
We got a kitten just before we discovered what Kenya's problem was. The kitten was 4 months old and is now 5 months old. I'm feeding her wet food morning and night and leaving dry food out the rest of the time. I had the baby, Lyra, on Wellness dry kitten food which is a chicken based food. Kenya has decided that the baby food is much better than her duck and so she's been munching on it more than Lyra has been. As you can imagine, Kenya has been sick a couple of times so I've been on a quest to find a food that is high in the nutrients that a kitten should have but that won't make Kenya sick.

Wellness Kitten food has 36% crude protein, 18% crude fat, 3% crude fiber.
Last night we bought Nature's Instinct Grain-free Turkey dry food that has 40% crude protein, 18% crude fat, and 3.5% crude fiber. After much research and looking at ingredients, this was the only non-kitten food that had the levels of protein that we're looking for while not having too much fiber (another possible culprit with Kenya as the Bistro Senior had a lot more fiber than her previous Merrick food).

Lyra scarfed down the new food last night with gusto. So did Kenya, after Lyra was done. Kenya got sick again in the middle of the night.

So my question is... what kitten appropriate food is there that is grain free AND chicken/turkey free? I've heard bad things about feeding fish on a regular basis too, and the only other non-chicken kitten food that I've found is whitefish.

With my work schedule and summer travels, a raw diet really isn't an option. They must be able to be on dry food.

We have one other cat, Cassie. She's 6 and has a bit of a sensitive stomach but has been fine. We've been grain free for at least 10 years now.

I should add that I decided to put the new food on top of the cat tree this morning in an effort to keep Kenya out of the food. She hasn't shown any interest in the tree since we got it a couple weeks ago, so maybe that will be our answer instead of finding another food. I don't know what else to do.

Thanks for your help.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Maizy , Dec 27 4:17 pm

Food & Nutrition > Do I need any supplements?

Kenya

Diva- Extraordanaire!

Purred: Sun Nov 19, '06 5:29pm PST 
Someone mentioned California Natural food -- that's made by the same people as Innova and Innova Evo and is also a very good food. I've read various cat food reviews and Evo also comes out on top.

Anyway, the guy who owns the feed store where we buy our Evo told me that if we're feeding a high quality food like Evo, supplements aren't really necessary. Wellness is another good food and there have been some other good foods mentioned here. I wouldn't consider anything by Science Diet or Iams to be good quality because corn is always very high in their ingredients list, as are by-products. bleh!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Liger, Nov 21 6:56 am

Behavior & Training > Kitty proof cabinet doors?

Kenya

Diva- Extraordanaire!

Purred: Sat Nov 18, '06 5:01pm PST 
Hi there

Kenya's mom here. We went to the hardware store this afternoon and decided to go with the child locks and also bumpers to eliminate the noise from the banging of the doors when they slam shut.

Got them for the bathroom and the kitchen too, cuz she's a determined kitty and I know she'll just go somewhere else if the bathroom becomes off-limits for her!

I'm glad her little sister isn't like this. lol We'd be in trouble if there were TWO like that in the house! hehe
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kenya, Nov 18 5:01 pm

Behavior & Training > I bagged my first kill and I can't stop

Kenya

Diva- Extraordanaire!

Purred: Sat Nov 18, '06 1:05pm PST 
Sealing up the food is a good step in the right direction, but remember that they can chew through alot of different materials -- that's what those front teeth are for and they're constantly growing, so they have to chew and chew and chew!

Blocking off entrances to the house are more difficult, since they can squeeze through holes that you'd never think they were small enough to get through!

We had a mouse in our apartment once. We got home from being gone for a couple months, and mom saw there were mouse droppings. She called me in and let me take a sniff and told me to keep an eye out for it. hehe I sure did, and we had alot of fun playing together! We even played on the bed once when mom was sleeping, but the mousie was bad and pooped on the bed. Mom wasn't very happy. I don't know whatever happened to the mousie, cuz neither one of us caught it, but I still try to get into the places where it liked to hide, just to see if it's been there or not!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Hector, Nov 19 9:17 pm

Behavior & Training > Kitty proof cabinet doors?
Kenya

Diva- Extraordanaire!

Purred: Sat Nov 18, '06 12:55pm PST 
I like to open the cabinet doors in the bathroom and go inside, but my mom doesn't like me to get in there (she says there are dangerous things in there, but how is toilet cleaner dangerous???). I've gotten in before, but usually I just get the door open just enough to make it slam shut and then I start over again. She put velcro on the doors, but I'm strong enough to open it still (plus, the doors aren't straight, so she doesn't think it catches very well).

She wants to spoil my fun and is wondering if there's something that she can do to keep me from trying to get into the cabinets. Closing the door isn't an option, because these ones are on a vanity just outside the main bathroom area.

I don't mind if you don't have any answers, but she's gonna be watching to see what everyone has to say!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kenya, Nov 18 5:01 pm

Behavior & Training > Does Feliway help you?

Kenya

Diva- Extraordanaire!

Purred: Fri Mar 10, '06 12:08pm PST 
It didn't work for us, but we were told later that it needs to be used in a smaller room. If there's too much room, it's not strong enough.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on it again. I didn't bother trying to return it because I used it for the full month to see if there was any improvement and I didn't think they'd probably take a return on an empty product. Maybe that's why they don't get returns?

I have heard of other people who have loved the product... we don't though.

~Simone and Kenya's mom
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Shashi (Indian for Moon), Mar 11 6:43 pm

Cats & Travel > Moving from New York to Florida

Kenya

Diva- Extraordanaire!

Purred: Tue Feb 7, '06 11:08pm PST 
There have been a few threads about this kind of stuff recently. If you look in my posts, you'll find them pretty easily, because we do alot of travelling. There were some really good points made by alot of kitties!

Good luck with your move smile
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sparky, Feb 8 11:20 am

Behavior & Training > New Kitty!

Kenya

Diva- Extraordanaire!

Purred: Tue Feb 7, '06 11:05pm PST 
I was an only cat for 5 years. Last Halloween, mom decided to bring home this... this... this kitten who'd never even been inside before (although that made no difference to me)!

I growled and hissed and batted at her alot, so that mom would know that I was really unhappy about the whole situation. That kitten settled in pretty easily (she was about 6 months old then), but it's taken me alot longer. Most of the time I do ok with her around, but I still have to make sure she knows who's boss and so I chase her and growl and try to beat her up when I can. Just so she doesn't forget that I'm the head cat around here, ya know? Sometimes we'll sit close to each other and look out the window, but that's something I don't want mom to see very often.

*grumbles* I was so happy too... why'd she have to bring that little fleabag in here, anyway? Who cares that she would have probably died a horrible death out there where she was at... I was happy being an only cat! *grumbles* I guess mom was right to bring her here, but I still have to make sure she knows who's boss... *grumbles*
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kenya, Feb 7 11:05 pm

Cats & Travel > Flying with our Kitties
Kenya

Diva- Extraordanaire!

Purred: Mon Feb 6, '06 9:35pm PST 
I think ours was a different brand, but it was essentially the same thing. Some kitties have done well with that Feliway stuff too, and neither one of my girls noticed much affect either.

You never know until you try it, but I think it's good that you're going to give it a trial run before the big day!

Good luck!
~Kenya and Simone's mom
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Stony, Mar 15 9:42 am

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.