Postings by Kaylee & Amelia

GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Food & Nutrition > Wild Calling cat food
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Tue Apr 1, '14 2:06pm PST 
We tried the rabbit and pheasant varieties awhile back when the gals were still getting fed canned food and they really liked them! I consider it a decently good food, but I wouldn't feed only it because it doesn't have a high enough protein content in my opinion. Granted, it is grain-free and that is awesome! The rabbit variety has 45.45% protein for the typical nutrient analysis, which is a better indication of protein content than the guaranteed analysis that is printed on the cans. I still prefer canned foods like Weruva, Tiki and Almo because they have higher protein levels. For example, Tiki Chicken & Egg is 70% protein for the typical nutrient analysis.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kaci Sunshine - Beloved Angel, Apr 6 9:38 am

Raw Food Diet > Bone-in "prey model" meats
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Mon Mar 17, '14 10:48am PST 
How do I know what her ideal weight would be? I estimate that perhaps she is 1 pound overweight, but since they are mixed breed rescues, I really don't know for sure. I would prefer not to go to the vet just to find out the ideal weight.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by BK, Mar 18 4:42 am

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Wed Mar 12, '14 6:13pm PST 
Hi again BK,
I calculated the following based on this: http://catcentric.org/nutrition-and-food/raw-feeding/a-frankenprey-a nd-whole-prey-feeding-guide/

This would be an approximate calculation for when they are adults in a few months time at 3% of current body weight, fed twice daily:

Amelia: current weight 10.6 lbs
-2.54 oz/meal
-needs 28.5 oz boneless/week, 3.56 oz bone-in/week, 1.78 oz liver and 1.78 oz organ/week

Kaylee: current weight 13 lbs
-3.12 oz/meal
-needs 34.9 oz bonelesss/week, 4.37 oz bone-in/week, 2.18 oz liver and 2.18 oz organ/week

Does this look okay to you? And how much over and above this should I feed? Should I double all of it and just see what they'll eat? Thanks again!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by BK, Mar 18 4:42 am

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Wed Mar 12, '14 5:49pm PST 
Thanks BK, you're awesome!

Is the 3.5 ounces per meal you feed based on a percentage of BK's weight? I know with my dog, I fed 2.5-3% of his body weight per day to maintain a healthy weight. So for the kittens, since they are still not fully grown, should I feed like 5% of their current body weight? They also weight different amounts, but I am more concerned about Kaylee's weight (13lbs) and I would say she is slightly overweight.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by BK, Mar 18 4:42 am

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Tue Mar 11, '14 3:25pm PST 
(My apologies as this will be a long post)

I am so happy! The kittens (now 10 1/2 months old and 13 and 10.6 lbs respectively) had their first meal of bone-in raw Cornish hen wing tips. The first time, I just gave them each a wing and my fiance supervised Kaylee in the bedroom and I supervised Amelia in the kitchen (Kaylee was growling and hissing, so we separated them for this meal). They both did really well, each eating about half of their wing. The second time we tried the bone-in about a week later, they both did fine again. I am ecstatic!

They eat boneless meat just fine, and have had boneless pork, chicken, beef, rabbit and ground beef, as well as ground whole rabbit (no fur). They are currently getting a mix of THK Prowl, S&C's, NVI Raw medallions in Venison, Duck or Beef, and random raw meat chunks such as chicken gizzards and hearts when I can get them at a good price. They have also had moose liver. I also supplement with coconut oil and digestive enzymes. What is the best way to continue to include these in a raw diet?

I think we are finally ready to get into more prey-model raw style and have less commercially prepared foods. So, I have a few questions/need refreshers on a few things:
-How do I calculate the amount of organ to feed? I know it should 5 % liver and 5% other secreting organ, and I think I want to fee organ once or twice a week instead of daily. How would I calculate this?

-They seemed to struggle with some of the bones in the Cornish hen wings they had. Should I use a mallet to smash the other pieces of the bone-in meats a bit before I give it to them? I don't want them the break teeth on the bones, but I want them to get the tooth-cleaning action of gnawing the raw bones (we also brush their teeth). Should I be grinding the bone-in meats up? I have heard that rabbit, mice and some chicken cuts might be considered edible bone as well. Where can I find skinned mice for sale and has anyone had success feeding them? Or could their difficulty have been related to not being used to using their teeth?

-Since they are not yet one year old, should I just wait until they are one year old to calculate the organ and proper bone amounts? Basically, should I keep letting them eat as much as they can for now of boneless and adding bone-in and organ a few times a week?

-They are currently fed twice a day, but I had planned to decrease to 2x daily once they turned a year old. Should I feed once a day or twice a day with the raw?

-For those of you who occasionally travel and feed raw, do you ask your pet-sitters to feed the raw food? If so, how long do you suggest it be defrosted/thawed for before feeding it? I don't want to demand too much from my cat-sitters, especially since they are not being paid. Could/should I continue to keep THK and S&C's on hand for those times we are out of town for a night or two?

Sorry if this is a little jumbled. Just wanting some answers and reassurance before we make the total switch.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by BK, Mar 18 4:42 am

Raw Food Diet > Why shouldn't I mix raw and canned in one meal?
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Tue Feb 11, '14 7:32am PST 
Thanks BK! I guess I thought people were saying kibble or canned mixed with raw was bad. My eventual plan is to slowly add less and less canned to the raw. Amelia is just so darn picky!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Feb 11 7:32 am

Behavior & Training > I swear, my cat has O.C.D.

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sun Feb 9, '14 8:27pm PST 
My gals do this sometimes, too, especially Amelia. I just consider it a weird quirk, plus, I'd rather they scratch the litterbox than the couch.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Monti, Feb 10 10:39 pm

Raw Food Diet > Why shouldn't I mix raw and canned in one meal?

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sun Feb 9, '14 8:26pm PST 
I have heard several people say not to combine both raw and canned food in the same meal. Why is this? Does anyone know of any articles explaining why with documented reasoning?

Kaylee and Amelia have begun to get a little picky with their NVI and Primal raw medallions, so I have been mixing them with some Almo canned food and then they gobble it up. Just wanting to make sure I'm not harming them in any way by feeding both at the same meal.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Feb 11 7:32 am

Raw Food Diet > Preparing Raw Food Diet plan questions

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Mon Jan 13, '14 1:56pm PST 
I think you can feed the 5% liver and 5% other organs on a daily basis if you want to. I believe most people do it in a weekly meal or two weekly meals because cutting up the organs for a daily amount is such a tiny amount for most cats. (With my dog, I fed him one weekly meal with liver and one weekly meal with kidney and then the rest of the meals only included boneless and bone-in meats. I did it that way because he was so small and I didn't want to cut up tiny slivers of organ). Whichever method you choose, remember to start with very small amounts as organs as rich in nutrients and can cause loose poop.

Heart counts as a meat, not an organ, and it is very high in taurine, so if you plan to include it regularly, I do not think additional taurine supplementation is required. I think it can be included several times a week, but BK would be a better person to answer that.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by BK, Jan 28 1:43 pm

Raw Food Diet > freeze dried raw
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sun Jan 12, '14 7:43pm PST 
We currently use a mix of raw, freeze-dried raw, dehydrated raw, and canned. Kaylee will eat anything, but Amelia is picky. Brands of freeze-dried/dehyrdated raw we have tried include Stella & Chewy's (their favourite), The Honest Kitchen (another favourite), and Primal (they didn't like it much). I think Amelia prefers canned because she can smell it better, but she likes THK and Stella & Chewy's as well. She is the pickiest with raw food, I think because her sense of smell isn't as good.

For awhile, I was worried about not having food down all day for them, so I USED to feed the Stella & Chewy's without water added. Now I add water, and they both eat better. I definitely suggest adding water because cats need the moisture.

I wouldn't worry too much about including freeze-dried raw. As long as it is from a reputable company and has a good protein/fat/carbs ratio, I think it is good. I always try to do the best for my cats, and if I could do it 100%, I would feed raw, but they seem to have other plans! LOL. So, to me, high quality freeze-dried, dehydrated, and canned are the next-best thing! Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sidney, Jan 13 11:34 am

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.