GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Raw Food Diet > Info Book for Work
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Tue Dec 9, '14 7:00pm PST 
Hi all,
I have been asked by my manager at the pet store to put together a binder of info on important health topics for cats and dogs. I already have articles on the following:
-feline nutrition
-dry matter basis comparisons

I would love if you could point me in the direction of info on the following:
-Omega 3 & 6
-thyroid problems
-bladder issues such as crystals
-any other topics I should be knowledgeable about!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Dec 9 7:00 pm

Raw Food Diet > Rash/Redness/Irritation?
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sun Nov 30, '14 6:40pm PST 
Hi BK,
Thanks for the response! For food I use shallow stainless steel or corelle bowls and for water, I use stoneware. Our water is very hard, so it actually breaks down the steel if I use stainless steel for water dishes.

They don't seem to be bothered at all. Maybe I will call the vet?
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by BK, Dec 1 5:18 am

Raw Food Diet > Rash/Redness/Irritation?

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Thu Nov 27, '14 8:38pm PST 
Hi all!
My hubby and I have been noticing the following:

After eating, both cats seem to have a rash or redness/irritation around their mouths. Kaylee's looks more like a reddish pink bump and is directly below her bottom lip, whereas Amelia's is more like redness and is around her mouth. Neither seems to be particularly bothered, although Kaylee was slightly annoyed when we kept trying to see and touch the bump. They are both eating, drinking, playing, sleeping, and eliminating fine, but I know cats can be stoic so I thought I would ask. The only thing that has changed recently is that about 2 weeks ago I started adding in a new food (Tollden raw) with chicken and mackerel and they had not had raw fish before. They typically do not like chicken, but they both loved this food. It does have some veggies in it, but so did the NVIR and they have eaten that for more than a year. I also stopped feeding coconut oil. The redness also doesn't seem constant. If I check them a few hours after eating, the area looks normal.

I don't think it is just blood left behind from their raw diet, because tonight they ate THK and still had it. Might they be allergic to something? Might they just have a bit less hair there and the skin in showing through? I am hesitant to go to the vet because I believe she will automatically blame the raw diet.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by BK, Dec 1 5:18 am

Raw Food Diet > New Job, Carna4, Flaky Skin

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Mon Nov 3, '14 7:33am PST 
Hi Bk!
I am currently feeding a commercial grind of meat/bone/organ (I typically use turkey, beef, chicken or rabbit) mixed with: eggs, water, digestive enzymes, coconut oil, fish oil, taurine, vitamin E, and vitamin B complex (the recipe is a modified version of the catinfo website recipe). I occasionally give them The Honest Kitchen Prowl or Stella & Chewy's FD raw when we go out of town. The Ziwi Peak is air-dried and they like it a lot and I think it's better to feed that when we're out of town than to feed the feed the S&C FD without water added as I have been doing (I have to do it this way because we usually can't get a catsitter who will feed them raw for every meal). I also just bought a pack of NVI Raw venison medallions as Amelia is sometimes picky and frequently doesn't finish her meals. I know they like the NVI (I had stopped feeding it due to the formula change, but found some of the old bags at my work), so I will give them those instead of the meat/organ/bone mix every once in awhile to ensure she is eating enough.

No specific issue regarding using the Flora4, just spoke with a rep about it and it sounded interesting. I agree though that since it is all plant-based, they probably don't need it. Thanks for your opinion.

I was adding coconut oil due to this video and based on how good it is for humans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND8doiVSLDw. I also purchase my digestive enzymes (which are animal-based) from their website. Do you think I should stop feeding the coconut oil and just add the fish oil? Maybe I am not using enough fish oil? I alternate between these types: http://www.ascentahealth.com/product-info/pets/felineomega3...http:/ /products.mercola.com/healthypets/krill-oil-for-pets/

In terms of the dry skin, it is quite cold here, hovering around freezing and dropping to -4 C (24 F) and our heat is on but we don't have control of it (old building with no thermostats). Any thoughts as to what I should do for the dry skin? Should I take them to the vet?
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by BK, Nov 4 4:32 am

Raw Food Diet > New Job, Carna4, Flaky Skin

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sat Nov 1, '14 8:12pm PST 
I like to ask my questions here as I know they will get answered and people already know my feeding habits! So not all of this is about raw feeding...but let's see if people have any ideas.

First, a bit of good news: I now work at a local pet store, so I get products at cost + 2%! *Happy dance* It has been so much fun so far. We do sell mostly kibble and canned, but we carry S&C, THK, and have 4 freezers of raw! smile Plus it's awesome helping people provide better nutrition for their pets!

Has anyone ever used Carna4 Flora food topper? I think it is a Canadian product, but wondering what people's thoughts were? (http://carna4.com/). I was thinking of maybe adding it into the gal's diet every once in a while.

Also, hubby and I noticed some dry, flaky skin at the base of the gal's tails. They get coconut oil and fish oil daily, so I can't imagine it it simply dry skin. We haven't seen any fleas but they aren't on flea meds so I know it could be dermatitis from fleas. The flakes are too fine to get a picture, but I am wondering if I should book a vet visit? They are not scratching the area, and they are behaving normally and eating and drinking well. Thoughts?

I started adding some Ziwi Peak into the gal's diet since hubby is still without work and the raw is expensive even with my discount. Should I be spacing it out 12 hours from the raw?
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by BK, Nov 4 4:32 am

Food & Nutrition > What are the least expensive brands of grain-free cat food (both canned and dry)?
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sat Nov 1, '14 8:05pm PST 
I'm from Canada, so a lot of our products are more expensive that ones in the USA. I don't recommend a kibble-only diet, but some decently priced grain-free kibbles here that are still good quality are: Natural Balance, Spring Naturals, Fromm, Go, Now.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Nov 1 8:05 pm

Food & Nutrition > Which brands (and flavors) of grain-free, limited ingredient diet cat food do you recommend?

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sat Nov 1, '14 8:03pm PST 
In addition to the ones you already mentioned, Weruva, Tiki, and Almo Nature all have grain-free varieties with very few ingredients.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mochi, Dec 6 12:53 am

Raw Food Diet > Eggy situation

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sun Oct 19, '14 4:42pm PST 
The catinfo website does say that eggs are optional. I use only the raw yolks and I make the rest in scrambled egg whites for myself LOL.

I use a variation on the catinfo recipe because I buy pre-ground meat/bone/organ sold in 1lb or 2lb containers so it's easier to follow. You can find it here: http://feline-nutrition.org/nutrition/easy-raw-feeding-for-the-busy- person

Did you change anything else the last time you made it? I know my cats prefer some meats over others. Or maybe it wasn't mixed well enough? Let us know how it goes the next time!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by BK, Oct 22 4:48 am

Behavior & Training > Catsitting

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Thu Jul 3, '14 1:16am PST 
Hi all, it is going well so far...

We had the two new ones in our bedroom with the door shut for most of the afternoon and did a few "meet and greets" for about 1/2 hour at a time. There has been a lot of hissing from K&A, I am thinking because their space has been invaded? No contact, so I am pleased with that. They are all with us in the living room now and K doesn't seem to care, but A is hissing quite a bit. Just wondering: should we discourage A from hissing or let her sort it out herself? I want to ensure no one hurts anyone else!

First feedings will be in approx 1 hour, separate.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Jul 3 1:16 am

Food & Nutrition > Salmon & Tuna Water
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Wed Jul 2, '14 4:40am PST 
Hi everyone! We feed a raw diet that is combination commercial NVIR and the homemade recipe from catinfo.org, and are very happy with it! Just wondering if it is safe/healthy to feed the tuna or salmon water that is drained out of the can? My mom is wanting to spoil her grandkittens and has saved me some salmon water. It wouldn't be a regular addition to their diet, but a treat once in awhile. We don't regularly feed any fish, but they are certainly interested when the humans in the house are eating canned fish!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by BK, Jul 2 10:57 am

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.