Postings by Kaylee & Amelia

GO!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

Raw Food Diet > Eggy situation
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sun Oct 19, '14 4:42pm PST 
The catinfo website does say that eggs are optional. I use only the raw yolks and I make the rest in scrambled egg whites for myself LOL.

I use a variation on the catinfo recipe because I buy pre-ground meat/bone/organ sold in 1lb or 2lb containers so it's easier to follow. You can find it here: http://feline-nutrition.org/nutrition/easy-raw-feeding-for-the-busy- person

Did you change anything else the last time you made it? I know my cats prefer some meats over others. Or maybe it wasn't mixed well enough? Let us know how it goes the next time!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Zoe, Mon 9:25 am

Behavior & Training > Catsitting
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Thu Jul 3, '14 1:16am PST 
Hi all, it is going well so far...

We had the two new ones in our bedroom with the door shut for most of the afternoon and did a few "meet and greets" for about 1/2 hour at a time. There has been a lot of hissing from K&A, I am thinking because their space has been invaded? No contact, so I am pleased with that. They are all with us in the living room now and K doesn't seem to care, but A is hissing quite a bit. Just wondering: should we discourage A from hissing or let her sort it out herself? I want to ensure no one hurts anyone else!

First feedings will be in approx 1 hour, separate.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Jul 3 1:16 am

Food & Nutrition > Salmon & Tuna Water

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Wed Jul 2, '14 4:40am PST 
Hi everyone! We feed a raw diet that is combination commercial NVIR and the homemade recipe from catinfo.org, and are very happy with it! Just wondering if it is safe/healthy to feed the tuna or salmon water that is drained out of the can? My mom is wanting to spoil her grandkittens and has saved me some salmon water. It wouldn't be a regular addition to their diet, but a treat once in awhile. We don't regularly feed any fish, but they are certainly interested when the humans in the house are eating canned fish!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by BK, Jul 2 10:57 am

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Mon Jun 30, '14 2:51am PST 
Thanks for the responses! The visiting cats, Apache & Chinook, will be here on Tuesday! I think our general plan is this: bring them into our bedroom in their crates, shut the door and let them explore our bedroom for an hour or so. Set up one of their litter boxes in our room and ensure they know where it is. Once they have settled in, we will supervise them meeting K&A. If there is any sign of aggression, when we need to leave the house for work, they will be kept separate with K&A having the rest of the apartment and A&C in our bedroom. Fingers crossed they all get along!

In terms of feedings, we are going to try to get away with not feeding any kibble OR feeding the kibble to A&C when we feed them their canned 2x day. I don't know how long they normally have their canned food out, but I usually give my cats 30 minutes to eat their raw (almost never takes them that long).

I will post if we have any issues!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Jul 3 1:16 am

Raw Food Diet > is raw cheaper?

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Fri Jun 27, '14 9:59pm PST 
Hi, we have found raw to be cheaper if prepared at home. Commercial raw can be pricey. For example, I used to feed primarily NVIR medallions, which cost about $100-$120/month to feed two cats. Raw is still cheaper than premium canned here. Now that I am using Dr. Pierson's recipe from www.catinfo.org, I have noticed a 33% savings/month! This is Canadian $ by the way. Our meat is more expensive! If I could find a cheaper place to get meat, it would be even cheaper. It depends on where and for how cheap you can get your meat/bone/organ.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Jun 27 9:59 pm

Raw Food Diet > NVIR Formula Change
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sat Jun 21, '14 12:01pm PST 
I have already voiced my displeasure to the store manager and NV via email. I also returned two bags of the venison and one of the beef as K&A seem to like the homemade food way better. When I give them those flavours of the NVIR, they look up at me like: "Oh, this again?" LOL. Those NVIR cat bags are way too small and I am hesitant to try them as K&A didn't like the previous formula bites in the bigger bags.

A serving for us is approx. 2 ounces eat (K a bit more, A a bit less), but I am not worried about being so exact. A usually leaves a bit of food if it's NVIR, whereas K leaves a bit if it's Pets4Life. Probably just preference. Neither leaves anything with the homemade recipe! smile
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Aug 5 9:14 am

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Mon Jun 16, '14 7:08am PST 
Hi all,
My hubby and I will be catsitting for his parents in a few weeks and we want to be as prepared as possible. We have two cats of our own and we will be catsitting two cats, all in our apartment! We have plenty of cat trees and toys, and we currently have two litterboxes and his parents will be bringing us two more.

Basically looking for advice on how to help this go as smoothly as possible. Their cats will be with us for about 14 days. Looking for ideas on how to introduce the cats to each other, whether we should keep them separate for a day or two, and especially for advice on feeding times. Our cats eat 2 raw meals/day and the parents' cats eat 2 meals of canned/day and low-quality kibble throughout the day. I DO NOT want my cats to eat any kibble, so I was thinking of separating their cats and ours for meals and giving them an hour separated to eat instead of 30 minutes as I normally give my own cats.

Before we got our cats, we cat sat the parents cats at our apartment, so they are familiar with our place and us.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Jul 3 1:16 am

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Mon Jun 16, '14 6:54am PST 
The Stella & Chewy's raw isn't in stores here yet, but we may try it when it comes in.

I followed the recipe on the other site because it called for 5 lbs of grind instead of 3 like Dr. Pierson's site. My plan is to rotate varieties of meat as you said, BK. I am going to look around for different varieties, especially at the place Merlin suggested! Merlin, I portioned using my kitchen scale by weighing the container and then adding enough for an ounce of just the mix. Most of the containers fit two servings (one meal for each of them). Freezer is now full! LOL.

We were away for the weekend, so the girls will get their second meal of the homemade stuff tonight!
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Aug 5 9:14 am

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Thu Jun 12, '14 9:05pm PST 
We have enough NVIR medallions to last a month of so, but I was inspired today and made homemade raw cat food. It was a GRAND success with the ladies! smile When I was mixing everything Kaylee was going nuts and meowing at me. Once hubby got home and we fed them, Kaylee dove right in. Amelia sniffed a bit and then dove in as well. *Happy dance!* I didn't think it was going to be this easy!

I used Dr. Pierson's recipe, but from this page: http://feline-nutrition.org/nutrition/easy-raw-feeding-for-the-busy- person and added a few extras. I used:
-12 oz. water
-4 egg yolks
-2 lbs Bold Raw ground beef (meat, bone, organs)
-2 lbs Bold Raw ground turkey (meat, bone, organs)
-1 lb chunked chicken gizzards and hearts
-a couple of small pieces of moose liver (less than 1 oz)
-all the supplements recommended on the website plus coconut oil and digestive enzymes

It was super easy after I calculated the measurements to grams (my kitchen scaled measures in grams). I packaged and froze the finished product with a serving size being anywhere from 2-2.5 ounces. The recipe made about 38 meals worth and in total, I think I spent about $28 (Canadian) including all the supplements. Looks like 38 individual servings will last 9.5 days whereas the bags of 48 NVIR medallions only last 6 days. It equals out to a $40/month savings as long as I continue to get the grind from Bold Raw. With the place Merlin recommended, I might even be able to make it cheaper!
[notify]

» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Aug 5 9:14 am

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Wed Jun 11, '14 9:55pm PST 
Merlin, that place is about 1.5 hours from me, but we do have friends in that city. Thanks for the suggestion! We will check it out for sure! Also, what premixes are you looking at? Once we're done the NVIR old formula medallions, we may go to home prepared raw meet and premix diet as well.

BK, thanks for breaking that down for me. You are always so helpful!

Guess I will make a decision once my stock gets depleted!
[notify]

» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Aug 5 9:14 am

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.