Postings by Kaylee & Amelia

GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Raw Food Diet > Tough Question
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Thu Jan 8, '15 9:28pm PST 
Thanks for the responses. I will probably end up doing raw in the morning and either the kibble or THK or Ziwi Peak in the evening. That way I am still making use of the free food, but I won't feel as guilty about it. Ibthink I will do as much raw as I can with the reassurance that we won't be in this situation forever.

Also in regards to chicken, I live in Canada and poultry is often more expensive than beef or pork. In fact, all meats aside from gizzards and hearts are fairly pricey. I try to stock up when there's a sale!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by BK, Jan 9 6:29 am

Raw Food Diet > Tough Question
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Tue Jan 6, '15 9:22pm PST 
So as some of you may know, hubby has been out of work for about 1/2 a year now. He had some seasonal work recently, and I work part-time and am a full-time student (I don't get loans), so you can imagine that money has been a little tight! Even with my great discount at the pet store, the raw diet for the cats is getting a little expensive.

Also, I recently learned that all employees of the store get a free 5lb bag of Acana or Orijen kibble each month if they want it (any flavour). I really don't want to feed kibble, but it's hard to argue with FREE, especially at a financially bad time for us! Obviously it's a decision hubby and I have discussed at length, but I wondered what others' thoughts were?

I know Orijen is one of the better kibbles, but I feel guilty about even considering feeding kibble at all since I know raw to be so much better! It kind of feels like Orijen is the "best" in a failing class, if that makes sense. Just to specify, I am considering feeding two meals per day: one kibble, one raw, split 12 hours apart.

Before switching the gals to raw, I fed them Orijen and canned food. Thanks for your advice!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by BK, Jan 9 6:29 am

Raw Food Diet > New Job, Carna4, Flaky Skin

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Tue Jan 6, '15 9:14pm PST 
BK, do you think the coconut oil could have been CAUSING the dry skin? Because I stopped feeding it at your suggestion and the dry skin has cleared up! I have no idea what to think. I also switched fish oils and am now using the Ascenta Feline formula which I believe is sardine and anchovy oils. So maybe that did it?
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by BK, Jan 7 4:54 am

Raw Food Diet > Rash/Redness/Irritation?

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Tue Jan 6, '15 9:10pm PST 
It looks like the irritation has cleared up! I think it must have been a reaction to the raw mackerel in that chicken/mackerel mix because I haven't seen it since we stopped feeding that. smile
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Jan 6 9:10 pm

Raw Food Diet > The instant switch

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Tue Jan 6, '15 9:09pm PST 
It's so exciting that your kittens took to the raw diet immediately! It took several months for my cats to get enthusiastic about meals after we switched to raw, but now it's so much more satisfying watching them gnaw and enjoy themselves!

How do your kittens do with the chicken bones? My cats will be 2 years old in April and they still have trouble with Cornish hen bones, although I feed ground raw more often...so maybe they just don't have the jaw strength yet? I'm sure BK'll answer... LOL smile
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 8 11:56 am

Raw Food Diet > Raw food and leaving the cats home for a day
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Tue Jan 6, '15 9:04pm PST 
We feed primarily homemade raw based on the catinfo.org website.

When we go away for a night or two, we just leave enough dehydrated food (Ziwi Peak or Stella & Chewy's freeze-dried) to last for the amount of meals we are gone. If we are gone more than two nights, I have a catsitter stop by at least once a day to feed raw and refill the bowls of dehydrated foods. It's not a perfect system, but it's hard to find someone to "live" at our house the whole time we are away!

We have left frozen raw out before, but I don't feel comfortable doing that unless we are only gone for a night.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Jan 6 9:04 pm

Raw Food Diet > Info Book for Work

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Tue Dec 9, '14 7:00pm PST 
Hi all,
I have been asked by my manager at the pet store to put together a binder of info on important health topics for cats and dogs. I already have articles on the following:
-feline nutrition
-dry matter basis comparisons

I would love if you could point me in the direction of info on the following:
-Omega 3 & 6
-thyroid problems
-bladder issues such as crystals
-any other topics I should be knowledgeable about!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Dec 9 7:00 pm

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sun Nov 30, '14 6:40pm PST 
Hi BK,
Thanks for the response! For food I use shallow stainless steel or corelle bowls and for water, I use stoneware. Our water is very hard, so it actually breaks down the steel if I use stainless steel for water dishes.

They don't seem to be bothered at all. Maybe I will call the vet?
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Jan 6 9:10 pm

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Thu Nov 27, '14 8:38pm PST 
Hi all!
My hubby and I have been noticing the following:

After eating, both cats seem to have a rash or redness/irritation around their mouths. Kaylee's looks more like a reddish pink bump and is directly below her bottom lip, whereas Amelia's is more like redness and is around her mouth. Neither seems to be particularly bothered, although Kaylee was slightly annoyed when we kept trying to see and touch the bump. They are both eating, drinking, playing, sleeping, and eliminating fine, but I know cats can be stoic so I thought I would ask. The only thing that has changed recently is that about 2 weeks ago I started adding in a new food (Tollden raw) with chicken and mackerel and they had not had raw fish before. They typically do not like chicken, but they both loved this food. It does have some veggies in it, but so did the NVIR and they have eaten that for more than a year. I also stopped feeding coconut oil. The redness also doesn't seem constant. If I check them a few hours after eating, the area looks normal.

I don't think it is just blood left behind from their raw diet, because tonight they ate THK and still had it. Might they be allergic to something? Might they just have a bit less hair there and the skin in showing through? I am hesitant to go to the vet because I believe she will automatically blame the raw diet.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Jan 6 9:10 pm

Raw Food Diet > New Job, Carna4, Flaky Skin
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Mon Nov 3, '14 7:33am PST 
Hi Bk!
I am currently feeding a commercial grind of meat/bone/organ (I typically use turkey, beef, chicken or rabbit) mixed with: eggs, water, digestive enzymes, coconut oil, fish oil, taurine, vitamin E, and vitamin B complex (the recipe is a modified version of the catinfo website recipe). I occasionally give them The Honest Kitchen Prowl or Stella & Chewy's FD raw when we go out of town. The Ziwi Peak is air-dried and they like it a lot and I think it's better to feed that when we're out of town than to feed the feed the S&C FD without water added as I have been doing (I have to do it this way because we usually can't get a catsitter who will feed them raw for every meal). I also just bought a pack of NVI Raw venison medallions as Amelia is sometimes picky and frequently doesn't finish her meals. I know they like the NVI (I had stopped feeding it due to the formula change, but found some of the old bags at my work), so I will give them those instead of the meat/organ/bone mix every once in awhile to ensure she is eating enough.

No specific issue regarding using the Flora4, just spoke with a rep about it and it sounded interesting. I agree though that since it is all plant-based, they probably don't need it. Thanks for your opinion.

I was adding coconut oil due to this video and based on how good it is for humans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND8doiVSLDw. I also purchase my digestive enzymes (which are animal-based) from their website. Do you think I should stop feeding the coconut oil and just add the fish oil? Maybe I am not using enough fish oil? I alternate between these types: http://www.ascentahealth.com/product-info/pets/felineomega3...http:/ /products.mercola.com/healthypets/krill-oil-for-pets/

In terms of the dry skin, it is quite cold here, hovering around freezing and dropping to -4 C (24 F) and our heat is on but we don't have control of it (old building with no thermostats). Any thoughts as to what I should do for the dry skin? Should I take them to the vet?
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by BK, Jan 7 4:54 am

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.