Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

Raw Food Diet > Expired Raw
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Tue Feb 24, '15 10:40am PST 
Thanks BK! I will use it.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Tue 10:40 am

Raw Food Diet > New to feeding raw - have some questions...
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Tue Feb 24, '15 10:33am PST 
I wish I could get Amelia to eat more chunks of stuff as I would prefer to do Frankenprey since it's better for their teeth. Kaylee is really easy going: I found some pork heart today and she was gnawing away at it, but Amelia turned her nose up at it frown. As BK said, our cats make the decision in the end! So the catinfo it is for now for me!

I just wanted to mention that I also don't have a grinder. I buy a mix of meat/bone/organ to use for the catinfo recipe. Also, and BK said, you can do the catinfo recipe with ground eggshell without a grinder. If you do, you can chunk the meat how you know your cats like!

I checked out that Perfectly Raw food. It looks really good in my opinion!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by BK, Wed 4:05 am

Raw Food Diet > Expired Raw

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sun Feb 22, '15 5:15pm PST 
I cleaned our the freezers at work the other day and expiry checked everything. We ended up with several items that expired in December and earlier this February and I was told I could take them for free if I wanted to. There are a couple of packs of Healthy Paws Feline raw frozen patties and a pack of Nature's Variety raw beef medallions (the old packaging/old formula). Is there a big risk to feeding these to my cats? Nothing seems to be freezer burnt. The most recent expiry if from February 18th and the oldest from December 30th.

I wouldn't normally consider using this, but money is so tight around here that any little bit helps! Plus, if I feed this food, the cats can have 100% raw for awhile!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Tue 10:40 am

Raw Food Diet > New to feeding raw - have some questions...

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sun Feb 22, '15 5:06pm PST 
Hi Cisqua,
BK and Merlin have already answered most of your questions, but I just wanted to say hi and respond to a few things! I am a Canadian (Ontario) raw feeder as well! (Well, due to financial woes, I am feeding raw in the morning and a mix of Weruva canned/Orijen kibble in the evening). I sometimes feed THK or Stella & Chewy's if we are out of town as it's a little easier for my catsitters. I have been using the catinfo.org recipe for almost one year now, but I occasionally feed raw chicken gizzards and hearts, and boneless chicken breast, beef or pork. I have tried bone-in meats, and though Kaylee will eat anything, Amelia is not crazy about gnawing through bones! They both love the catinfo.org recipe no matter what protein I use. We have tried beef, chicken, rabbit, turkey, and lamb so far! I buy 5 lbs of meat/bone/organ mixes from Bold Raw, Tollden or Healthy Paws and then make the recipe. I use raw eggs and I add digestive enzymes to the recipe as well. I get all of the vitamins from the local human health food store, the fish oil from work (I work at Global Pet Foods), and the digestive enzymes from mercola.com.

I have fed frozen baby mice (pinkies) before, mixed into the catinfo.org recipe and they gobbled them up. So far I have not been brave enough to feed adult mice! As BK and Merlin know, I am all about variety and I love getting a good deal!

It is fine to use the Grizzly brand salmon oil with your cats. Just be sure to give the appropriate amount for their weight. My cats don't like salmon oil at all, and with the research I have done on fish oils for pets, I prefer using mackerel, sardine or anchovy. I currently use the Ascenta brand.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by BK, Wed 4:05 am

Food & Nutrition > Is their diet too rich?

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sun Feb 22, '15 4:29pm PST 
Hi Charles,
I agree with Merlin and BK that EVO 95% is a good food. I actually just bought a case of it from the store where I work because it was 50% off and money is tight around here!

I recommend looking at non-commercial websites for information on what would be appropriate for your cat, as those articles tend to be less biased in the information they are presenting. Many commercial companies do not conduct third-party scientific research (they do their own research which is highly suspect) and the articles found on their websites are designed to direct you to their formulas. My suggestion is to do your own research and come to a decision that you are comfortable with. Some great places to start are:
www.feline-nutrition.org
www.catinfo.org

Some authors I have found beneficial/helpful in my search for cat food:
Dr. Elizabeth M. Hodgkins
Dr. Richard Pitcairn
Ann N. Martin
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Feb 22 10:47 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > Safe cleaners
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sat Feb 7, '15 4:37pm PST 
I use Norwex antibacterial cloths to clean my entire house, including raw food spills where the cats eat. All of their products are chemical-free and most clean with just water so there is no risk for you or your cats. I switched to Norwex because my cats were drinking out of the bathroom tap and I wanted to ensure it was a safe place for them. This was there is also nothing for them to get into and possibly spill.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Feb 7 4:37 pm

Raw Food Diet > Tough Question

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sat Feb 7, '15 4:31pm PST 
That is good to know. I usually feed around 9am and 9pm, but sometimes due to our schedules that isn't possible. So that's one less thing to worry about!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Feb 7 4:31 pm

Raw Food Diet > Tough Question

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sun Feb 1, '15 8:05pm PST 
I have continued making my own recipe from the catinfo.org website and using raw meat/bone/organ mixes from Canadian companies such as Bold, Tollden and Healthy Paws. I feed the raw in the morning and Orijen kibble or random cans in the evening. I recently got a bunch of free sample cans from work, so I sometimes mix them with kibble so I don't feel as guilty. I don't always feed the kibble, sometimes I will feed Tripett or raw chicken gizzards and hearts to switch things up and because I don't want to do 50% kibble. It's going fairly well. The gals seem good, and only a slight increase in poop size and smell! Hopefully won't have to use the kibble for too long as hubby is going through the process to become an RCMP officer ("mountie").
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Feb 7 4:31 pm

Food & Nutrition > Rachel Ray now has a line of cat food!

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sun Feb 1, '15 8:00pm PST 
Haven't tried it, but it doesn't seem to be anything really novel or special, as all the cats flavours either seem to be fish or chicken. Plus, why is there powdered cellulose in the wet cat foods?
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Feb 15 4:42 am

Raw Food Diet > Nature's V ariety has brought back the raw medallions!
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sun Feb 1, '15 7:49pm PST 
I hope the new medallion formulas are available in Canada, though I see there are only two flavours: chicken and rabbit. The old rabbit medallions weren't available here due to shipping or meeting Canada's import standards or something.

My gals don't like the NV bites for cats, but they loved the old cat/dog medallions. If I can get a discount at work, I might buy them again.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Feb 8 6:12 am

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.