Purred: Sat Apr 25, '15 6:46pm PST 
Thanks BK.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Apr 25 6:46 pm

Raw Food Diet > Loose Poop
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Fri Apr 24, '15 9:28pm PST 
This is the acidophilus I use for msyelf: http://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/health-and-pharmacy/vitamins-supp lements/multivitamins/details/057800062288

Ingredients:
Lactobac illus rhamnosus
Lactobacillus casei
Lactobacillus acidophilus
Bifidobacterium longum

Potato starch, calcium gluconate, inulin, vegetarian capsule (carbohydrate gum, purified water), vegetable grade magnesium stearate, fructooligosaccharides (FOS), silica, ascorbic acid

Would that one be ok? And if so, how much do I give them?
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Apr 25 6:46 pm

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Wed Apr 22, '15 7:02am PST 
They already get digestive enzymes. Is it ok to add probiotics too?
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Apr 25 6:46 pm

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Mon Apr 20, '15 6:37pm PST 
Hi BK,
Thanks for the advice. The 100% Bold Raw (catinfo recipe) seems to be doing the trick (or it could be the Metronidazole or both combined?). They have both had a solid stool. I plan to do full raw for at least one week. When do you think it would be ok to add a different type of raw? I am running out of the Bold, but have some frozen Stella & Chewy's...it's actually the dog patties, but they have the same protein level as the cat, so I would just add a sprinkle of taurine. Do you think that is ok or should I buy more Bold for now?
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Apr 25 6:46 pm

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sat Apr 18, '15 8:34pm PST 
Good news: no parasites in the stool sample.
Bad news: still unable to pill the cats, so we're crushing the pills and adding it to their food, much to their chagrin.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Apr 25 6:46 pm

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Fri Apr 17, '15 8:24pm PST 
They have been on the same types of commercially prepared raw for 1.5 years with no digestive upset or loose stool (Bold Raw, Tollden, and Nature's Variety), so I am fairly sure it has nothing to do with the raw. It could be related to K eating a chicken neck for the first time, but then why would they both have loose stool? The raw I currently feed is Bold Raw, which is a ground mix of meat, bone and organ, with an approximate ratio of 80/10/10. I am more inclined to believe it was the variety of the canned I was adding or something they got into.

In other news, pilling the cats did not work AT ALL, and we had to crush their pills up and add it to their food.
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Apr 25 6:46 pm

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Fri Apr 17, '15 9:48am PST 
Hi all! Wanted to ask this here instead of in the Food & Nutrition forum as I believe the answers here will fit more with my philosophy of pet care.

K had loose poop one day last week, which we assumed was due to her eating half a chicken neck, which was the first time she had a neck. A wouldn't eat any neck, and she didn't have loose poop, so that's why we assumed it was the neck. K's poop got better.

Now this week, they both have loose poop for about three days, the consistency of pudding, and this morning there was mucous in it, but no blood. It's hard for me to tell whose poop is whose as they share three litter boxes. I already tried adding Tripett tripe and pure canned pumpkin into their meals and it didn't seem to help. Both tripe and pumpkin are things they have had before. They have been getting a mix of kibble, canned and raw, with raw being fed in the mornings and a mix of kibble and canned in the evening. The kibble is Spring Naturals, the canned is Weruva, Weruva CITK, Almo Nature, or Go!, all of which they have had before except the Go!. The raw is typically Tollden Farms or Bold Raw mixes of bone/meat/organ and then I do the catinfo.org recipe. There were a few days where they only got kibble and canned. They have always done well with lots of variety and there was no digestive upset when I first started adding in the kibble and canned.

Anyway, I took them to the vet this morning as I wanted to make sure everything was ok and that they weren't dehydrated. They have been playing, eating, and drinking fine, but I got nervous. I took a fecal sample in for testing, which I should have back tomorrow. After their exam, the vet said they were not dehydrated. She suspects that I did too much variety in their food, or that they had a bad batch of food, or that it's the raw, or that they got into something outside on one of our walks or that they got into something in the house. I do not believe it is the raw and said so. The vet tried to sell me some hypoallergenic kibble and i/d canned, which I refused. She said I should feed something bland for the next few days like rice or a plain canned food, and she gave them each an antibiotic injection to help with bacteria in their digestive system as they did show some signs of slight distress when she examined their bellies. She also gave me a prescription for Metronidazole which they are supposed to have twice a day. The whole bill was $224!

So, I am basically just wanting some advice and suggestions for what to feed them for the next few days and if I should do anything that I have not already done. Also wondering the best way to give them the pills. I should get the fecal results tomorrow. I do not want to feed them rice unless absolutely necessary, nor do I want to feed a food he vet sells. My gut is telling me to go back to just the plain catinfo.org recipe for a few days since I am pretty positive is it not the cause of their loose poop. Or should I do 100% canned, like the plain Weruva chicken one? Or I have some Honest Kitchen here...

Also, doing 100% raw again is not yet financially feasible for me as money is still really tight around here. I could do it for a few days, though. Thanks!
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Apr 25 6:46 pm

Raw Food Diet > Supplements

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sun Mar 22, '15 6:49pm PST 
Awesome! I'm excited to try these down the road when I run out of vitamins!

Another question: colloidal silver...what's the deal? I have customers that swear by the stuff as a topical and internal preventative and healing supplement.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Mar 22 6:49 pm

Raw Food Diet > New to feeding raw - have some questions...

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Wed Mar 18, '15 1:23pm PST 
Thanks BK! Good to know, especially since I can get them pretty cheap!
[notify]

» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by BK, Aug 17 4:26 am

Raw Food Diet > Losing Weight
Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Wed Mar 18, '15 1:18pm PST 
It's just a little pudge at this point and 0.6 extra ounces, but I prefer to be preventative about weight gain instead of allowing her to get fat and then trying to foster weight loss.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Mar 18 1:18 pm

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.