Postings by Rio

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Food & Nutrition > FREAKING OUT! Need Help!
Rio

Purred: Fri Dec 6, '13 5:25pm PST 
I concur on mixing the BB with the old food and converting them over time. We don't prefer Science Diet - our owners don't like to give us foods with rice as fillers. The Vetasyl is tasteless and mixes very well with wetfood.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Rio, Dec 6 5:25 pm

Cat Health > How Much Does Laser Declawing Cost?
Rio

Purred: Fri Dec 6, '13 5:13pm PST 
My sister and I completely concur with 3 main things stated in this thread: 1). declawing is cruel - as one vet wrote, it should be called de-toeing; 2). keeping the claws trimmed helps a lot - ours are trimmed every 3 weeks and we are used to it; 3). giving cats a lot of good scratching options minimizes furniture damage - cat trees with sisal, cardboard scratchers etc.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Liriel, Dec 7 8:01 pm

Food & Nutrition > FREAKING OUT! Need Help!

Rio

Purred: Fri Nov 29, '13 7:55pm PST 
Try Vetasyl. I have a little in my wet food once per day. It does not alter the taste of my food and is a natural fiber powder that is easier to administer than pastes and the like. Just pull open a capsule and sprinkle some into the food and mix it in well. It is probably sold by your vet else you can get it online at Fosters and Smith or Amazon. My owner also cuts some catnip from the garden a couple of times per week and either adds a bit to my food or lets me eat it directly from his hand.

Someone else mentioned the importance of water. My owner adds a bit of water to my wet food. Not enough to make it soggy but just enough so I get a little extra hydration. Our food is always grain-free Wellness, Natural Balance, Pride, Halo, Blue Buffalo and a few others.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Rio, Dec 6 5:25 pm

Cat Health > Persistent vomiting, but super-healthy cat

Rio

Purred: Wed Nov 20, '13 6:38pm PST 
This may sound silly (it did to me at first) but have you tried feeding from the elevated bowls? You can get these on Foster's and Smith. I was vomiting maybe once every week and I am a little overweight (or so says my human). My owner noticed that I would eat fast and hunched over and I mostly vomited immediately after eating. So he researched and read that eating from the elevated bowls may help this. I haven't vomited in a couple of weeks since we started with the bowls - but I understand this could purely be coincidence.

We only eat high quality grain-free foods and my owner mixes some Vetasyl in our food once per day (to aid digestion). He gives us fresh catnip from the garden once or twice per week as well. Our food portion is 1/2 of a small can of cat food per feeding (about 1.75 ounces I think). He also doesn't give us any food variety with beef or too much seafood (once in a while a seafood/poultry mix is ok). The bowls he purchased from Fosters were the 6 inch diameter small elevated bowls (elevate to about 4 inches off the ground). Best of luck to you and I hope you stop vomiting soon!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Rio, Nov 20 6:38 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > How do you do you kitty litter?

Rio

Purred: Sat Nov 2, '13 4:29pm PST 
My owner uses 3 boxes for 2 cats. 2 boxes are covered and 1 is uncovered. All 3 boxes are plastic and he does not use liners.

My owner buys Blue Buffalo pellets and Blue Buffalo regular and also mixes some corn or pine litter to a depth of about 2 inches. The pellets are layered on top to reduce the dust a bit. He scoops twice daily and cleans the boxes once per week. He does not completely change the litter once per week but rather just empties the box, washes them out, lets them dry and then puts the litter back. We proudly have a perfect record of using our boxes.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Rio, Nov 2 4:29 pm

Behavior & Training > I like to throw litter everywhere!!
Rio

Purred: Fri Sep 6, '13 6:26pm PST 
I love to fling litter too! But I have my owner very well trained and he comes right along and cleans it up. My owner used to have all of our boxes covered (3 boxes for 2 cats). But he then did an experiment and uncovered one and left 2 covered. He discovered that me and my sister prefer our boxes uncovered (we are not shy). Now he leaves 1 covered and 2 uncovered just so we have options. I guess cleaning up the litter we fling around is a small price to pay for two cats that always use their boxes. Just a suggestion: try providing 2 boxes for a time with 1 covered and eventually try to remove the uncovered box.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Rio, Sep 6 6:26 pm

Food & Nutrition > A new Cat food recall-

Rio

Purred: Sat Aug 10, '13 7:03am PST 
Sigh of relief: Not anything we have eaten. Although my owner has frequently seen these brands at the pet supply store. Thanks for posting the info.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Rio, Aug 10 7:03 am

Behavior & Training > Let's Talk: Do You Walk Your Cat on a Leash?

Rio

Purred: Wed Jul 31, '13 5:57pm PST 
My owner takes me out on a leash but I am not very good at walking more than a block or so because I am distracted by many things. I am completely fine wearing a harness and I sit outside on my leash (with my owner) but I just don't get the concept of going for walks. I want to run in all kinds of directions and my owner just doesn't let me. My owner did buy a kitty stroller and he loads me up in that and walks me two blocks to the park where he lets me walk in whatever direction I want (on my leash). Sometimes when both my owners are together and not dogs are in sight, he lets me run around the park with no leash. I like to ride in the stroller but I am a cat that is not bothered by being put into cat carriers or by car rides. My sister will not tolerate the stroller. He'll walk me around the neighborhood in the stroller which looks like a baby stroller. My owner tells the neighbors it is his new hairy-faced baby. I find it odd that humans seem amused by such childish humor.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Napoleon, Aug 4 6:55 am

Food & Nutrition > What is better, ANF or royal canine?

Rio

Purred: Wed Jul 31, '13 5:44pm PST 
The ingredients certainly look better than what I saw at ANF - chicken instead of chicken meal for instance. Were it for me, my owner would take the chicken, fruits, peas and alfafas over chicken meal, corn and rice any day! This looks like a better option for dry food than what you have been presented with thus far. I say give it a try and see how kitty reacts to it. Best of luck to you!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Oct 3 10:54 am

Food & Nutrition > What is better, ANF or royal canine?
Rio

Purred: Tue Jul 30, '13 5:58pm PST 
I agree with BK that Royal Canin is not good food. But we have a relative in Mexico who tells us it is about the best they can get their hands on. I had never heard of ANF but I just looked at the ingredients of their Senior Formula - and I'm shocked: rice, corn, chicken meal etc. It looks horrible as well. Where you live do you have any mail-order options beyond those 2 brands? If it is a food allergy I would suspect the grains, fillers and preservatives more than the meat.

I have posted numerous times about my early problems (shortly after my adoption). My symptoms were different than yours and resembled colitis. Veterinary diagnosis was a whole other issue my owner wasn't too happy with. Anyway, getting off the grains solved things for me. And just as a by-product of getting off the grains, the food quality was better overall as my owner switched from a couple of common commercial brands to lesser-known niche grain-free brands. The only thing he doesn't give me within that grain-free is anything with beef or shrimp. I seem to handle all other fish and chicken just fine. I really hope you can find something soon.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Oct 3 10:54 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.