GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Behavior & Training > Some Advice?
Bubbles

Because I'm a- lady, that's- why.

Purred: Fri Dec 6, '13 10:19pm PST 
Thanks Ben! I do plan to get Bubbles fixed as well! Too many kitties already in this world without homes, and I'd hate to exacerbate the issue! Bastian will be done first (fingers crossed all goes well on Wednesday!) then I'll schedule Bubbles later in this month before her first heat comes around. I want him done first because of the behavior. Also, Bubbles is an inside only kitty but I still won't stall her surgery!

I'll definitely have to check out the spray... If it is a slightly aggressive issue, I want them to feel more positively with each other. But I think he is just a wired cat who loves to play and he can really play rough sometimes and I think his hormones are beginning to kick up! Hopefully neutering will calm him and I will look into the Feliway! There are a few pet stores around me that I think carry it!smile

Thanks for the help! I'll post an update after the surgery... I also think I'll pick up some Feliway too, to see if that helps. I will be home for a month since college break is coming, so hopefully I have time to study the issue between my kitties a bit further, especially after the neutering!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 6 10:19 pm

Behavior & Training > Some Advice?
Bubbles

Purred: Thu Dec 5, '13 3:12pm PST 
I haven't been on Catster since my kitties were younger, and I have been busy with college and have had to leave all my pets in the care of my mother, who is wonderful about making sure the basic needs of my pets are met, but... I'm afraid since I've been gone I've noticed a behavior problem developing between my male cat, Bastian, and my female cat, Bubbles.

I got Bubbles and Bastian as kittens, around eight weeks old. They are not siblings, but they have grown up together. Bastian is rowdy, more aggressive with his play, and Bubbles is more reserved, and shy. When they were kittens Bubbles didn't like Bastian when I first brought him home, but I thought 'Oh they are kittens, they'll get used to each other'.

They have gotten used to each other and they can co-exist and were getting along really well until I left for school in August. I come home every break/weekend, and during a weekend visit my mother told me Bastian has been beating up Bubbles and cornering her. Bubbles has scabs on her neck from where Bastian claws and bites her, and she is very skittish around the house now.

He has also been trapping her in high places and not letting her down. He trapped her on the kitchen table, wouldn't let her down, and as a result, Bubbles relieved herself on the kitchen counter, which is definitely a problem. So as a quick fix, I have been playing more with Bastian and keeping him and Bubbles separate. Bubbles lives in my room, with food and water and her own personal litterbox. But the playing doesn't seem to calm Bastian down and he isn't suffering from neglect. My mother plays with him and cuddles him just as I would.

Now, Bastian is an un-neutered male, but I made an appointment with my local lost-cost clinic to get him fixed next Wednesday (I planned to fix him either way). I was wondering if the neutering will resolve this aggression issue? He isn't constantly mean to Bubbles, and they wash each other and seem fine some days, but other times he tries to play too roughly with her and if he gets in trouble for something, he will seek out Bubbles and beat her up.

I am not sure if it is true aggression, or if he just over-zealous with the way he plays. Either way, Bubbles doesn't like it and wants no part of it since she is generally calmer. I was wondering if there were any other ways that can be applied to ease Bastian?

I have already implemented:
Rigorous play sessions for Bastian
Boundaries for Bastian (he has no permission to enter my room and has no permission to use Bubbles' litterbox) I enforce this with a loud "NO" if he tries to do it anyway, and that generally deters him.
He will also be neutered 12/11/13.

I'm not sure what is happening between my cats, and I really want to fix it. I don't want Bubbles to be constantly harassed and miserable. I've already thought about re-homing either Bastian or Bubbles, but honestly I love my kitties very much and I have optimism that I can fix this problem. I am trying, but I was wondering if anyone had any other advice? Also, is it aggression, or aggressive play? He doesn't snarl, hiss, etc. But he will grab ahold of Bubbles and make her cry and scream, and he will chase her and trap her. He also waits for her outside the litterbox and pounce on her, making her not want to potty in the box.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 6 10:19 pm

Food & Nutrition > This has to do with food!

Bubbles

Purred: Tue Jul 16, '13 5:56pm PST 
My two kittens eat primarily wet! smile They get fed 3x daily and I rotate different brands of canned food. They also get Blue Wilderness Duck formula as a night time snack- for some reason Bastian gets rather haughty without some midnight snackage. shrug So I have a small bag of grain free kibble too.

But none of my kitties have digestive problems or diarrhea. All solid around here, and I even rotate flavors and brands. Wet food is definitely better, since cats appreciate the awesome moisture content. My brother's cat had severe food allergies and seemed dehydrated 24/7 until we switched her to 4Health canned food. Now she's 95% better and her hair is growing back! So I prefer to feed my beasties wet.

I recommend:
Tiki Cat
Evangers
Wellness
Halo
Merrick's Purrfect Bistro
Blue Wilderness
Felidae Pure Sea
Nature's Variety

I like those. They are very all very good. My kitties love almost all canned!
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jul 31 1:00 am

Food & Nutrition > Evangers or other gain free canned food

Bubbles

Purred: Sat Jul 13, '13 9:18pm PST 
My two creatures like:

Halo Spot's patê and stew
Merrick's Chicken a la king & tuna niçois
Tiki Cat
Nutro
Wellness (all types & varieties)
Taste of the Wild
Felidae (both GF and GI)

I rotate a menagerie of foods. I occasionally mix quality. I feed 85% grain free. 15% have rice in them. I just like to mix up their foods.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 13 9:18 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > Is my apartment too small for a cat?

Bubbles

Purred: Tue Jul 9, '13 7:24pm PST 
Congrats on Dean! He is beautiful! big grin
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 9 10:05 pm

Kitten Corner > New kittens
Bubbles

Purred: Tue Jul 9, '13 3:28pm PST 
When I first introduced them, Bubbles didn't know how to react. She was given to me by a former teacher, and she was the sole survivor of the litter, so she ended up with just her mom for company and she had no siblings... I took her at five weeks because her mother started to slink off and disappear.

I had her for three weeks and she met Bastian. At first, she didn't like him! She would growl and run away from him when he tried to play. After three days, she started to play with him.

Now they are thick as thieves! big grin They always zoom around the house and wrestle. They love all their toys and play keep away from each other. They started grooming each other and sleep cuddled up! They are too adorable!!

I am still sad about my late cat, Floyd, but these two kittens have been a wonderful challenge! I loved Floyd, but Bubbles and Bastian have needed me and the pain from Floyd's death has eased. I definitely love my double trouble!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 10 3:32 pm

Kitten Corner > New kittens

Bubbles

Purred: Tue Jul 9, '13 10:32am PST 
It's normal to feel very concerned and normal to worry. I had a six month old cat pass away in May who was hit by a car, so with my two new kittens I am tense and overprotective at the thought of them going outside. I have since leash trained them and take them for supervised walks.

Also, I brought Bubbles home at 5 weeks. I got Bastian three weeks later, and both are around 10 weeks old now. I was very scared when bringing Bastian home because I didn't want any illness to pass between them. They are from different litters, not siblings by blood, but I took the risk until they were vaccinated, and both are doing wonderful.

But it's ok to worry about your kitties! smile I worry about all the mischief my two get into, but sometimes you have to reassure yourself everything will be A OK!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 10 3:32 pm

Raw Food Diet > Primal Freeze Dried Raw?

Bubbles

Purred: Wed Jul 3, '13 6:29am PST 
You guys are so helpful! big grin

Thank you very much. I can handle hearts and gizzards... But liver just makes me sick! silenced And they really love them!

Primal 5.5 bags of their freeze dried is on sale at the pet store for $8.98! I even got my dog a bag of the turkey and sardine formula!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 3 6:29 am

Bubbles

Purred: Mon Jul 1, '13 1:06pm PST 
Thank you Merlin!

I went to the pet store today, and after discussion with my mother, the pre made Nature's variety medallions are a doable thing for her. smile I also bought a package of chicken hearts and gizzards for the kittens to try. Bastian loved them, but Bubbles wouldn't touch them till I mixed canned in with the pieces.
shrug

She's the picky one of my duo.

As far as a whole diet, I think canned food, medallions, and the occasional raw treat like hearts and gizzards would a nice diet. I realize that wouldn't be complete... But I wouldn't be feeding the gizzards and hearts daily. Just trying to give them the best big grin
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 3 6:29 am

Bubbles

Purred: Sun Jun 30, '13 9:48am PST 
Thank you for those suggestions BK! I find myself in the eastern part of the US, in Tennessee, and have a limited income (I pet sit as a summer job before going to college, but I'll be doing work study), so ordering off the internet is a little hard, because I just try to find everything locally for my own ease.

I'm still not sure about doing my own raw... Plus, in August when leave for school, my mother adamantly refuses to feed raw food... So the freeze dried variety is what best fits my needs.. I plan to rehydrate it in water, and they will still be getting their canned food, so I hope that will be a huge amount of moisture to keep them healthy. I will be checking out all options thoroughly though. big grin
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 3 6:29 am

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.