GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Cat Health > Hairballs, yuck!
West

All of the noms!

Purred: Mon Jul 1, '13 11:28am PST 
Thank you for your help, guys!

I ended up calling the vet, who told me that with his history of respiratory issues (he has feline herpes), it was probably the start of something viral and to just watch and see if he gets better. They said I should only bring him in if the attacks start happening daily, or if he shows other signs of illness like fever or lethargy.

I'm not sure I'm convinced since he's otherwise very happy and active, but if they aren't concerned I guess I will just keep an eye on him for the time being!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jul 11 10:47 pm

Behavior & Training > Constant meowing in new home?
West

All of the noms!

Purred: Wed Jun 26, '13 6:30am PST 
After the move from our medium-sized house to a small one-bedroom apartment, our one-year-old neutered cat went from practically nonvocal to meowing CONSTANTLY. He howls at the door, scratches at the walls, and works his way into closets where he meows at the walls there. It's worst when one, or both, of his humans are away from home.

It's been about a month since the move, and we thought he'd have calmed down by now. We've tried those Feliway calming hormone diffusers and sprays, calming gel, getting him a big cat tree to explore, playing with him as often as possible... even X anax on my vet's recommendation, but nothing helps.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mikko, Jun 27 1:22 pm

Cat Health > Hairballs, yuck!

West

All of the noms!

Purred: Wed Jun 26, '13 6:13am PST 
wave New cat owner here, and I hope somebody can put my mind at ease!

My DSH cat has (I think) been trying to hack up hairballs lately... He has short fits of high-pitched coughing and deeper hacking sounds, during which his stomach muscles contract. My partner says it's hairballs, and that it's normal, but he never actually hacks anything up and that makes me nervous!

This has happened maybe three days out of the last two weeks (and he is shedding a LOT right now). Otherwise he's acting perfectly normally.

We've tried brushing him often and feeding him hairball relief treats... Sometimes we see hair coming out in his litterbox, if you know what I mean. Maybe I just worry too much! silenced
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 11 10:47 pm

Cat Health > can smoking around your cat cause it cancer?

West

All of the noms!

Purred: Wed Jun 26, '13 6:02am PST 
Unfortunately, smoking around cats (or even bringing smoke residue inside, on your clothes or hands) can cause a variety of problems for cats, from lung cancer to asthma. Maybe it seems like a no-brainer, but as a first-time pet owner, I had to learn this the hard way. Please, please do not smoke around your kitties, and take care to wash your hands after handling cigarettes.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by West, Jun 26 6:02 am

Food & Nutrition > Feeding cat different flavors of the same brand?

West

All of the noms!

Purred: Thu Apr 25, '13 5:54pm PST 
I know it's necessary to switch cat food brands slowly, to avoid upsetting a cat's digestive system. But is the same thing true of different flavors of the same brand of cat food?

My cat is on Natural Balance Limited Ingredients (so a more digestible food anyway), and I was wondering if I should give him a variety of wet food flavors (such as Duck and Green Pea for two days, then Chicken and Green Pea the next) or if that could cause stomach upset as well?

Couldn't find any information around the web on this, so I thought I'd ask my fellow catsters. smile
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, Apr 26 6:16 pm

Cat Health > Cat ate a BAG of treats... literally.
West

All of the noms!

Purred: Sat Apr 13, '13 7:35pm PST 
Let's start with the good news: those Greenies Pill Pockets work.

In fact, they work well enough that my kitten stole the bag and ate 26 of them, along with a couple square inches of plastic he tore through getting to them.

Do I need to be worried? He's about nine months old, eight-ish pounds. Only the emergency vet is open until Monday, so I'm really hoping he'll just pass it... How soon would I see symptoms if it's going to be a problem? Is there anything I can give him to help... um, speed the process?
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Apr 14 6:04 am

Behavior & Training > Biting behavior in older kitten?

West

All of the noms!

Purred: Sun Apr 7, '13 8:33pm PST 
We adopted a rambunctious kitten about two months ago. He's eight months old now, and he's a great boy- so affectionate and so full of life.

The problem is his constant biting. It's definitely play... He doesn't mean to hurt anybody, but he's a big, strong boy (10 pounds already)! He likes to nip at us when he's being affectionate, or latch onto hands and arms while we play.

The adoption center warned us that they'd had trouble training him out of this behavior (which is why it was hard to get him adopted). He spent ages 1-6 months in a cage, which makes me think that having the run of an entire house may still be a little overstimulating for him.

We've tried saying "NO" loudly, which doesn't faze him at all. We've tried stopping all play/affection and leaving the room when he bites (which works for a little while). We play with appropriate toys (not hands) ALL the time. I don't want to be harsh, because I know he's just playing, but it drives us nuts!

Does anybody else have any tips?

EDIT: I just realized that this likely belongs in the "Behavior" forum. Sorry! Does anyone know how to delete/move a thread?
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Claude Hoppurr, Apr 8 6:47 pm

Cat Health > Pet Insurance

West

All of the noms!

Purred: Sat Mar 30, '13 1:44pm PST 
I would definitely recommend getting pet insurance if you like the plan and can afford it! We drug our feet getting our new kitten insured... then he got diagnosed with Feline Herpes, which has cost us a couple hundred dollars just in medication and exams for his flare-ups in two months. And, yes, we couldn't get that covered now as it is a pre-existing condition. I really wish we had taken the plunge and bought it!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by West, Mar 30 1:44 pm

Cats & Travel > How long can a 6-month old kitten be home alone for?

West

All of the noms!

Purred: Sat Mar 30, '13 1:41pm PST 
She should be fine. smile Definitely just have someone check in and spend a couple minutes giving her pets on Wednesday.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by West, Mar 30 1:41 pm

Cat Health > She's healthy...right?
West

All of the noms!

Purred: Sat Mar 30, '13 1:39pm PST 
I too used to call my vet for every funny noise my cat made (though, he has a lot... sighs and whistles and snores). Don't feel bad. smile

I'm pretty sure it was a happy sigh.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by West, Mar 30 1:39 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.