Postings by Righty

GO!

Food & Nutrition > Food On A Budget

Righty

Purred: Mon Apr 29, '13 12:26am PST 
Dry food is best for most cats. Dry food helps keep a cat's teeth cleaner and in better condition whereas cats on wet foods tend to build up tartar and develop dental problems much more rapidly. Also wet food is mostly water, why pay for a food that's mostly water.

If you really want your cat to have moist food, you can soak dry food in hot water and serve the dry food soaked much more economically than buying canned food. Using hot water to soak dry food works best because dry food soaks up much faster and better when soaked in hot water than if its soaked in cold water.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Sammy, May 7 9:47 am

Cats and a Clean Home > Anyone think "clicker training" can help with erratic bathroom behaviour
Righty

Purred: Tue Feb 19, '13 6:44pm PST 
I have several cats who perch on the side of a litter pan when using it, probably because they don't want their feet to get dirty and I have several who stand up when they urinate. I'm not going to even try to change the way they use the litter pan, I'm just glad they DO consistently use the litter pan.

I've seen some good ideas, which I'm going to try with my cats, about taking a large plastic storage box, cutting an entrance hole in it, and using it as a big litter pan. This certainly would solve any problems of a cat getting pee outside the box. If it works, it probably will end up being superior to my current system for my cats who will not use covered litter pans.
Here are some links to how to make these DIY litter pans.
http://petprojectblog.com/archives/cats/make-your-own-cat-lit ter-box/
http://catsadored.com/LITTERBOXES/LITTER_BOXES.htm
http:/ /lifehacker.com/5433450/repurpose-a-storage-bin-as-a-mess+free-litte r-box
http://www.thecatsite.com/t/217069/make-your-own-litter-box-f rom-rss-feed
http://musingsfromasahm.com/2011/11/do-it-yourself-6-m ess-free-cat-litter-box/

My current system, which I've done for many years now, for keeping kitty messes from ending up outside of the litter pan on the carpet is:
I take cardboard boxes that are a foot tall or taller and big enough for me to set a litter pan inside them, cut out the middle front part of the box so the cat can enter and exit the litter pan, and the tall sides of these cardboard boxes prevent wastes from ending up on the floor. To prevent the cardboard from soaking up urine I put contact paper on the sides and floor of the cardboard box after cutting the entrance hole in the box and before putting the litter pan in the box. I also keep a sheet of plastic such as you can buy to insulate windows with, etc, on the floor under the entire area where my litter pans are at. I put cheap woven throw rugs in front of the entrances to the litter pans with the edge of the rug just enough under the box that the weight of the box will hold the rug in place. These cheap woven throw rugs are great for catching any litter that gets tracked out of the litter pans, are easy to shake out, easy to wash, and cheap to replace when they become worn out. The contact-paper covered cardboard box catches any urine or feces that end up outside of the litter pan. The contact paper, having a plastic coating on its non-adhesive side, is easy to wipe clean with a paper towel.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Gypsy, Feb 23 12:18 am

Kitten Corner > My kitten a bottomless pit!

Righty

Purred: Wed Feb 13, '13 10:37pm PST 
A lot of times cats or kittens who have been starving, will act frantically hungry & constantly want to eat. When fed, they tend to dive into their food eating frantically as if they're afraid they won't get enough to eat. It takes awhile for a young cat or kitten starts losing that frantic hunger and the hurried frantic eating behavior that is so typical of a kitten or young cat who has been starving and desperate for food. A cat generally eats more proportionately during their first year of life than after they're a year old, because they are growing and their digestive systems aren't as efficient as the systems of adult animals.

Puppies and kittens 6 months of age to a year and a half of age, adolescence, often will just seem to burn through their food while staying lean no matter how much they are fed, just as teenage boys tend to eat alot of food and stay lean. Then when their growth slows and their systems become more efficient, they start eating less and filling out.

Elderly cats and cats whose systems are less efficient because of medical problems, may also be constantly ravenous but be unable to efficiently digest their food.

Most cats and kittens can be free choice fed dry food and most will not overeat.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by BK, Feb 16 3:56 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.