Postings by Lefty

GO!

Grooming > Long fur, mats, suddenly having problems, HELP!

Lefty

Purred: Wed Feb 13, '13 10:22pm PST 
I usually start with either the short tooth or the long tooth grooming rake unless there are big mats. When there are big mats I use the mat splitter to break them apart, then I either scissor them out - you have to be careful when using scissors on a cat, look where you're cutting, if you're scissoring close to the skin, only cut hair from small areas at a time because with a cat's loose delicate skin, it's easy to accidentally cut skin if you go too fast or try to scissor areas too large when cutting close to skin. With the Persian when I'm scissoring him, I first cut the hair so it's about an inch long, which can be done more rapidly and with cutting larger sections of hair at a time. Then after that longer cut, I go in and slowly carefully cut the hair shorter in areas such as under the tail, between the hindlegs, on the belly, the underarms, chest, and behind the ears. If I run into mats I switch to the splitter and split the mats first before scissoring them. It's just too easy to accidentally cut skin if you try to cut out big mats with scissors.
I also sometimes use a wide tooth metal comb that I used to use on my Collies, for the Persian, because the wide tooth comb is good for superficial detangling.

Everytime I finish a grooming session with the Persian-he hates being groomed-I say that a cat shouldn't have any more coat than it's able to groom by itself and if the cat is going to be long haired it should have along enough nose to groom itself! Another thing worth being aware of, cats such as Persians can often develop tremendous flea infestations without the owner even knowing it because the fleas hide in the coat, humans don't see the fleas, the fleas can run around under the mats undisturbed. When I used to help out in an emergency clinic, my cats were blood donors a few times for Persian type cats who came into the clinic dying of anemia from being literally bled to death by fleas and the owners were unaware of the massive flea infestation because the owners couldn't see the fleas under the coat.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 3 8:29 pm

Behavior & Training > Why does she drool?
Lefty

Purred: Fri Feb 1, '13 6:59am PST 
Have your cat checked by the vet to make sure there are no dental problems or other mouth problems. If there is no medical cause, then I concur with Ben. Cats who really get into the comfort kneading, sucking etc behaviors may also drool with it. You might want to keep a small towel handy to put under your cat's chin when your cat settles down for a happy kneading regression back to kittenhood comfort.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Miki, Apr 25 11:36 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.