Postings by Laila

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Cat Health > Does my cat need an IV and Blood work for spay?
Laila

Queen Bee

Purred: Tue Feb 25, '14 1:45pm PST 
Good grief! Where do you live? To my Oklahoma sensibilities, that's an exorbitant price. However, to answer your question...for an otherwise healthy 6 month old cat, there's no real need for the bloodwork or IV.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Mar 14 12:27 pm

Cat Health > Weird red bump
Laila

Queen Bee

Purred: Mon Jan 13, '14 1:21pm PST 
When you say "gotten bigger," what are you talking about? If it's now less of a bump and more of a disk shape, it could be ringworm--the bane of every cat owner's existence. Either way, probably a good idea to swing by the vet.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Laila, Jan 13 1:21 pm

Kitten Corner > How to get kitten to cover poop.

Laila

Queen Bee

Purred: Wed Oct 16, '13 1:47pm PST 
Some cats don't cover. Yes, it's annoying, and yes, it's REALLY smelly, but some just don't cover. Totally normal.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Laila, Oct 16 1:47 pm

Cat Health > My 5 1/2 month kitten has bald spots!

Laila

Queen Bee

Purred: Thu Oct 10, '13 8:49am PST 
Ringworm isn't actually a "worm;" it's a fungal infection. If your kitten's bald patches are round and have scaly scab-like formations in the middle of them, she probably has ringworm. It's not fatal or even particularly dangerous, but it is a pain in the backside. There are some new oral anti-fungal creams you can use, but I've found that lotrimin lotion works just fine. Check yourself regularly as ringworm is contagious and the kitten could give it to you.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Pieces, Oct 17 5:30 am

Kitten Corner > Kitten small for her age? Worried about development

Laila

Queen Bee

Purred: Thu Aug 29, '13 1:07pm PST 
If she's five months old and weighs 5 pounds, she's doing fine. The reason her brother is bigger is that the testosterone has taken over. My kittens did the same thing. Trekkie was the runt of the litter and very sickly as a baby, but around 4-5 months, he just plowed right past his sisters on the growth charts. He is long and tall and lean. Laila is much more compact and petite (even if she is overweight and built like a bowling ball). As long as her size and weight are proportionate to each other, I wouldn't worry too much.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Laila, Aug 29 1:07 pm

Cat Health > Kitten Sniffles - When to see a Vet
Laila

Queen Bee

Purred: Tue Aug 20, '13 4:20pm PST 
Sounds like herpes to me. Get Tink on lysine and see what happens...
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Norman DB#93 2001-2013, Aug 20 7:52 pm

Cat Health > Herpes cat with chronic cough....

Laila

Queen Bee

Purred: Sun Aug 11, '13 7:37am PST 
She gets Lysine twice a day (in a perfect world, anyhow). She's responded remarkably well to it. She is happy, healthy, and playful, if perhaps a bit overweight. She just has this stupid cough that won't go away.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Laila, Aug 11 7:37 am

Cat Health > Herpes cat with chronic cough....

Laila

Queen Bee

Purred: Sat Aug 10, '13 7:58pm PST 
So, Laila has herpes...a pretty mild case right now. In fact, her left eye (which is often runny and gross) has looked pretty stinking fabulous for almost the last week and her conjunctiva is not red. VICTORY! However, because of her herpes, Laila also occasionally suffers from bronchitis and because of that, a chronic cough. Laila was rescued from a hoarding situation when she was 4 weeks old, so we suspect there might be some scarring on her lungs because of the unsanitary conditions (which also allowed her to contract the herpes).

My problem is that the easiest treatment for the cough is p r e d n i s o n e, but with an already weakened immune system, she can't really stay on it long term. My vet suggested cough syrup, but Laila's not such a fan of liquid medicine. The stress of trying to give her the cough syrup is more likely to cause a coughing fit than anything else, so it seems a bit counter-productive. So I'm looking for non-liquid/non-steroidal alternatives. Thoughst?
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Laila, Aug 11 7:37 am

Cat Health > Not Eating...

Laila

Queen Bee

Purred: Mon Jul 29, '13 12:06pm PST 
I don't know if you've gotten your babies to the vet yet, but my go-to for cats that won't eat is always baby food. Both Beech Nut and Gerber have meat flavored baby foods that are only meat and water (the others have onion, garlic, etc. that are bad for cats). Try some baby food by itself. If they eat that, then try to add some to their food. Baby food has a stronger odor than cat food and is pretty good at stimulating a cat's appetite.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Sep 6 9:05 am

Behavior & Training > What are the strange things your cat does?
Laila

Queen Bee

Purred: Wed Jul 24, '13 9:47am PST 
Fiyero enjoys the tub, but occasionally, he will hop in (not when the water's on) and start pawing at the tub surround as if he can free himself from his *oh-so-mean-and-inhumane* prison. He also sometimes hangs out with me while I'm taking a shower, and he'll sit on the toilet (lid closed) and paw at my leg as I'm getting in the tub. I always know when it's time to trim his nails if he's drawing blood when he does this.

Iba walks on a harness and a leash which some people find quite strange. I can actually walk him through Petco with no problems. Iba's other eccentricities are more health-related than behavior related.

Laila will pick a fight with the 90 pound mastiff, which is endlessly entertaining for me. She wins too!

Trek really is the world's most curious cat, and he loves to jump into the fridge when the door is open (it's a french door refrigerator). He has also been known to jump into kitchen cabinets and drawers. Goof ball.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Maizy , Jul 29 2:30 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.