Postings by Fiyero

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Cat Health > Hairball or something else? Her meow went away :(
Fiyero

Mr. Laid-Back

Purred: Mon Oct 28, '13 2:14pm PST 
When she coughs, is it a gagging sound (like a hair ball) and the action to go along with it or is her neck straight out like she's having trouble getting air with her head swaying side to side as she coughs? She's really probably too young for a hairball. If it's more what I described second, that's asthma and she may still be too young for a definite diagnosis, but it does require veterinary attention. Also remember that sometimes, cats turn on the "silent meow" as a sympathy thing. Fiyero does it all the time when he wants to appear especially pitiful. Keep an eye on her. Make sure she's eating well and drinking water. When she goes back for her next round of booster shots, you might mention it though (I'm all about piggy backing as many issues as possible on one vet visit. Saves all sorts of money big grin )
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sammie, Oct 28 7:20 pm

Kitten Corner > Is my 6-month-old kitten coughing?
Fiyero

Mr. Laid-Back

Purred: Sun Oct 20, '13 4:56pm PST 
If the kitten's neck is sticking out, it's probably not hairballs. That's what Fiyero does when he has a coughing fit. He has asthma, but if you catch it early, it's a BREEZE to deal with. He only gets p r e d n i s o n e (and only 2.5 mg at that) when he has issues, and only a couple of doses. You should definitely talk to your vet.

Other things to try: If you have a steam vaporizer (hot or cold, though I prefer hot), put it near wherever the kitten sleeps at night--mine is next to my bed since all 4 of mine think they help keep the boogey man away at night--and plug it in before you go to bed. If the kitten is okay with it, bring her into the bathroom with you when you take a shower. The steam from the shower will also help keep her lungs from getting too dry which can exacerbate such issues. I have the asthmatic one and one with chronic bronchitis, so I pretty much always have at least one showering companion.

Edited to add: who do we have to talk to so that the "p" word, good corticosteroid that it is, can get taken off the "naughty" list and we can type it without all the spaces? It's a little ridiculous.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 21 7:06 am

Kitten Corner > Retained kitten teeth...when to worry?

Fiyero

Mr. Laid-Back

Purred: Thu Sep 12, '13 9:19am PST 
Has he been neutered yet? If not, just have them removed when he's under to be fixed. Had to do it with one of my boys.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Katie, Sep 15 9:53 pm

Cat Health > Vet Advising Canine Extraction for a Kitten

Fiyero

Mr. Laid-Back

Purred: Wed Jul 24, '13 8:27am PST 
Was is that his adult canines were coming in and they wanted to extract the baby teeth that hadn't fallen out yet? Because that's a common practice--in fact, I've had to do it with one of my cats. The reason they would want to do it while he was under for his neuter is to a) save the cat the need to be put under again sometime in the future if the baby tooth didn't fall out and b) to save you the money if the cat had to be put under again in the future if the baby tooth didn't fall out.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Parker, Sep 20 11:43 pm

Behavior & Training > Neutered cat and humping problems

Fiyero

Mr. Laid-Back

Purred: Mon Jul 15, '13 10:30am PST 
So....Fiyero is my middle child. I call him a cross between Rodney Dangerfield and Eeyore because he gets no respect, but his reaction to it is "Oh, well...." Over the last 6 months or so, he has started to try to hump my oldest cat. I take this as insecurity and an attempt to carve out a place for himself, but I'm clueless as to what to do with him. He has been neutered and both testes had descended, so there's not a question about an undescended testicle. Any advice?
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Miss Tiny Burr Burr, Jul 28 8:47 am

Behavior & Training > Random Burst of Energy or...
Fiyero

Mr. Laid-Back

Purred: Wed Jun 19, '13 8:17am PST 
Sounds like a random burst of energy to me. As long as she's eating/drinking/using the litter box/behaving normally otherwise, just sit back and be amused.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, Jun 21 11:28 am

Cat Health > Cats with Asthma?

Fiyero

Mr. Laid-Back

Purred: Wed Jun 19, '13 8:15am PST 
I have two with mild asthma. Nothing worse than hearing that cough and seeing their necks flattened out and their tongues sticking out. I don't like it at all. The good news is that when they aren't in the midst of a coughing spell, they actually lead pretty nice, spoiled, normal lives.

Some things you can do around the house--
--Vacuum and dust regularly. Don't forget furniture, blinds, drapes, and ceiling fans.
--Change the sheets often, especially if she sleeps with you. Occasionally, wash the mattress pad to rid it of dust mites and dander too.
--Only use fragrance free detergent and fabric softener. Also, use cleaning products that are environmentally friendly as they also use fewer harsh chemicals that can irritate sensitive respiratory systems.
--Consider investing in an air filter or two. You can buy room-sized systems. Think about the rooms she hangs out in the most and start there.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Sammie, Jun 25 9:20 am

Cats and a Clean Home > Clothes and concrete

Fiyero

Mr. Laid-Back

Purred: Fri Jun 14, '13 6:17am PST 
On the clothes, I would give them a good soak in some OxiClean or a similar cleaner, then wash them. OxiClean is pretty good at getting out most organic stains and odors. As for the concrete--go with bleach.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tigger, Jun 15 1:39 pm

Cat Health > Can anyone help me?

Fiyero

Mr. Laid-Back

Purred: Mon Jun 10, '13 9:30am PST 
First, let me second two things that Merlin said--ditch the flea collar and find a new vet who knows their you-know-what from a hole in the ground.

As for Napoleon--if he really is 5 weeks old, he should be weaned because he's got teeth and mama cats typically look forward to weaning once the teeth come in. However, because he's so skinny and not eating, definitely keep giving him kitten formula--it's got a lot of calories so he can maybe catch up in the growth department. Force feeding kittens can be unpleasant and messy, but it's sometimes necessary to ensure the kitten's survival. Do a scruff test on Napoleon and if he seems dehydrated (a possibility given that he isn't eating/drinking), you might think about using some unflavored Pedialyte in place of water when you make up the concoction to force feed him. Some other ideas: try warming up his canned cat food (not hot, just a couple of notches higher than room temp). Warm cat food has a stronger smell which can help stimulate the appetite. Also, get a few jars of beef, ham, chicken, or turkey baby food. Make sure it ONLY has meat and water in it (both Beech Nut and Gerber fit the bill). Baby food has an obnoxiously strong smell to it that can also be good for stimulating Napoleon's appetite. Present him with a little bit of baby food and if he's interested, mix some in with his canned cat food and see what happens.

Other random thoughts: Has either cat been dewormed? If not, this needs to happen. Try to find a new vet who has experience with kittens (esp. rescue kittens with issues) and get some broad spectrum dewormer. My guess is that both of them have worms and that could account for their skinniness. Along that same line, you might try some plain Greek yogurt for both of them--a little goes a long way. But Napoleon might not be eating because his tummy is a little upset and the good bacteria in Greek yogurt helps restore some balance to the G-I tract. When you go see the vet, make a plan for when would be the best time to spay the mom so she can't have any more litters of kittens. Also, because she's so young herself, until she's spayed, it probably wouldn't hurt for her to be getting kitten food as well.
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Jun 15 6:06 pm

Cat Health > Not Eating...
Fiyero

Mr. Laid-Back

Purred: Sat May 11, '13 7:01am PST 
Warm up wet food to release more smell. Try some baby food (make sure it doesn't have any garlic or onions in it--Beechnut and Gerber are both safe). It has more odor than cat food.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Sushi, May 21 11:52 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.