GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Behavior & Training > Reintroduction
Wally

Super- Walllyyyyy!- Super Walllyyyy.

Purred: Mon Mar 4, '13 12:14pm PST 
Go Stephanoooooo! wink

So we're doing the reintroduction, because it's only gotten worse. She's been attacking Wally more frequently, now latching onto his shoulder until he screams, and biting his stomach. He'll try to kick her off but he's so much smaller than her.

I guess we'll see what happens :/
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Wally, Mar 4 12:14 pm

Wally

Purred: Thu Feb 28, '13 6:51am PST 
Beep and Tambolina:

Oh... my... gosh. That sounds so hectic! I can't believe you even do that! Yeah my husband at that point would've wanted to give the cat away like your friends were suggesting. But I'm so happy that you're respecting your daughter's feelings and keeping her cat.

We've spoken with a couple of behaviorists including one who is familiar with Chausies and Bengals, and they think it actually just sounds like dominance. What we think is going on is Tiki just trying to establish the pecking order of who is top kitty. Because they will both be fine and playful, and then Tiki will just tackle him and bite his neck which scares the crap out of me because she's so much larger than him. So we're doing the whole "let them work it out on their own" thing and seeing how that goes.

Kitty Prozac and Zoloft scare me, I was on Prozac for a long time and got off of it a few months ago, such a good decision. I think there's better ways to promote happiness than medication.

Thank you both so much for your stories and advice!
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Wally, Mar 4 12:14 pm

Wally

Purred: Wed Feb 27, '13 10:46am PST 
Welp, back to the basics. We spoke with a behaviorist and she told us it would be best to do a reintroduction with Wally and Tiki. What we don't want to happen is that aggressive behavior she is displaying with him. So she gave us some tips:

1. Reintroduce them, give them another week of the introduction basics.

2. Wear Tiki out with playtime (mostly with Da Bird), so her prey drive is satisfied and isn't directed at Wally.

3. Give her a treat ( a small amount of ham/chicken/or turkey flavored baby food) to satisfy her "kill".

4. Start target and clicker training with both cats, start out in separate rooms and then move training in the same area together. So they associate treats and good behavior with each other, this will also stimulate the cats' minds.

5. Make loud noises to distract Tiki whenever she starts trying to stalk Wally to prevent her from tackling him and biting him.

What are your experiences with aggressive behavior between cats?
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Wally, Mar 4 12:14 pm

Behavior & Training > Help! I hit my cat and now she doesn't respond to my calls!):

Wally

Purred: Mon Feb 25, '13 12:11pm PST 
I don't even know how to respond to this....

If you're comfortable with it, perhaps you should seek out someone to talk to about anger.... and an animal behaviorist to teach you how to properly handle your kitten....
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Belle, Mar 9 1:19 pm

Contests and Vote For Me! > Vote for Wally and Tiki on Modern Cat!

Wally

Purred: Mon Feb 25, '13 7:04am PST 
http://www.moderncat.com/photocontest/cats/2013/02/25/wally

http: //www.moderncat.com/photocontest/cats/2013/02/25/tiki
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Wally, Feb 25 7:04 am

Other Meows & Purrs > Custom Collars
Wally

Purred: Tue Feb 19, '13 8:50pm PST 
Creative Fiasco is run by Sabra Summers, she makes awesome collars that are pre-made and you can inquire about custom collars! Wally got his Superman Collar from her 5 months ago, and it hasn't frayed at all. It's still in perfect condition!

Superman Dog/Cat Collar:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2ngez6a.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.co m/vh5bo1.jpg

We're now ordering a custom collar for Tiki of Wonder Woman (since there are no Wonder Woman fabrics on the market that I like, she made a custom design for us).

Wonder Woman fabric design: (copyright to Sabra Summers)
http://i47.tinypic.com/bheyc5.jpg

Go check her out! You'll love your collars!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mikko, Jun 20 10:22 am

Behavior & Training > New Cat Depression

Wally

Purred: Tue Feb 12, '13 3:02pm PST 
Thanks for responding, Beep!
Ahhh! That's horrible! I'm glad your cat no longer has coccidia, that's just awful... and icky. I can't imagine having parasites in my body.

So an update, Update 2/12/2013: I took Tiki into the vet this morning and got her checked out. The vet said that her appetite loss could be due to numerous factors; 1. She might not like the food that the shelter had her on that they sent us home with (Science Diet,) and we have no idea what her previous owners had her on. 2. Her stress levels are high because she was given up and sent to the shelter, was at the shelter for 5 days and then sent to Petco, and on the same day she was sent to Petco I adopted her, and 3. It might be due to sickness.

The veterinarian thinks she might have an upper respiratory infection which is common among shelter animals with so much influx of animals there (Especially the Dumb Friends League, they always get so many animals because they adopt so many out! Such a great place!) So she gave Tiki an antibiotic injection. We'll have a follow up appointment in 2 weeks, if she gets worse than of course sooner.

When I brought her home, I emptied out her food bowl of the Science Diet and gave her a handfull of Wally's Royal Canin Special 33 formula dry food, and she ate it right up! So at least the food problem is solved! Yay!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tiki, Feb 14 8:47 am

Wally

Purred: Mon Feb 11, '13 11:57am PST 
Update 2/11/13: I think she has started feeling a little better. She was running a little bit of a fever yesterday, and so far today there isn't a sign of one. I had forgotten that this is how Wally started out when he got his cold, he ran a fever for one night and then started getting better after that. She's purred a little and is more alert today, but still lethargic.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Tiki, Feb 14 8:47 am

Wally

Purred: Sun Feb 10, '13 4:21pm PST 
Hi everyone,

So we got a new cat 3 days ago named Tiki, and she seems to be depressed or sick (Wally had the sniffles and gave it to her but that's it). I'm not sure though. She was extremely affectionate when I met her and when I brought her home, same with yesterday and whatnot, but today she's just so distant from the world. She hasn't been eating at all since we brought her home, and she's been drinking very little. Today she's extremely lethargic and isn't motivated to even leave the bathroom. Her eyes are very glassy, and again she just seems extremely uninterested in everything.

Is it common for a new cat to become depressed when you bring them home from the shelter?
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Tiki, Feb 14 8:47 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > I love Lucy
Wally

Purred: Fri Feb 1, '13 3:41pm PST 
To see pictures of Lucy: http://www.petango.com/webservices/adoptablesearch/wsAdoptableAnimal Details.aspx?id=16358135&css=http://sms.petpoint.com/WebServices/ado ptablesearch/css/styles.css

Hi, I'm Lucy. Even though I don't have red hair and my own TV show, there's a lot to love about me. I'm a young, playful tabby, and I have an adorable face. I came to MaxFund to have my kittens and get spayed, but after that, no one came to pick me up. Can you imagine - a beautiful girl like me! I'm working on my social skills here at MaxFund, so my next family will want me to stay forever. I may need a little patience at first while I learn to trust people again, but I'm worth the effort! I do enjoy face pets and affection.

I love playing - I'm happy with any toys you can give me. I would love it if you made some time to play with me every day. That would also be a great way for us to bond! I'm also good with dogs. I'm particular about my feline friends, but I get along with some other kitties. Please come visit me at MaxFund and you'll say "I Love Lucy!"

To see me call (720) 266-6081 ! I'm in Colorado!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Wally, Feb 1 3:41 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.