Postings by Tobi

GO!

Cat Health > My momcat tried to kill its own baby

Tobi

Because I'm a- Lady, That's Why

Purred: Sat Mar 22, '14 10:30am PST 
8 months old is too young to be a mom in the first place. She's still a baby herself, and that very well could be why. She doesn't have the mothering instinct yet; right now her whole world is supposed to be play.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Apr 2 3:41 am

Cat Health > Declawing Rant!
Tobi

Purred: Mon Mar 11, '13 7:50pm PST 
I absolutely hate the thought of declawing. Honestly, in my opinion, it's barbaric. I had cats who were declawed when I was young, we adopted them that way, and it always seemed like they really missed having their claws. It was easy for them to slip and fall from places(one of these poor kitties actually sprained his wrist falling from the top of a bookshelf) and they would constantly act as if they were sharpening their claws. My mom and I felt terrible for them, and so did the shelter we adopted them from. Apparently the cats were siblings, born in the shelter(their pregnant momma came in as a feral) who were adopted by a young couple as babies who, like Beep said their co-worker asked, got them declawed at the same time they were fixed, and then ended up deciding they didn't really want cats after all, so the poor things ended up right back in the shelter :/
A little later on in my life, I was in foster care, and the family I was living with thought I would be able to cope with being away from my family better if I had a pet(now that I'm older, this seems like a bit of an irresponsible decision to start with, but I digress), so they took me to a local shelter to get a cat. There was a catch, though, one I didn't know of until we brought him home- the cat had to be declawed, because cats scratch things, and getting a scratching post would be too much of a hassle. I made them take him back to the shelter. I would rather not have a cat at all than rip his claws out to keep him. The family made it clear they thought I was being stupid, but at the time, I was thinking the exact same about them.
[notify]

» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by Gabielle, Apr 7 8:25 pm

Cat Health > Extra Toes

Tobi

Purred: Wed Feb 6, '13 7:24pm PST 
Miss Tobi is polydactyl. Not so bad that she can't walk correctly, thank goodness- I've seen some poor kitties like that. She has five toes on her back feet and a "thumb" in the front. I finally got a picture of her extra toes today, and upon sharing it with my friend I was told that her cat was double-pawed in the front, and had an extra toe on one foot in the back. I've come across quite a few cats with extra digits, and the number seems to be increasing lately. This got me thinking- where did the polydactyl deformity come from? I'm pretty sure it's genetic, but I'm curious what the root of it is. Does anyone have any idea?
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Polly, Feb 22 5:45 pm

Behavior & Training > Cat spends more time in new litterbox

Tobi

Purred: Wed Feb 6, '13 9:38am PST 
Tobi does the same thing. Her box isn't covered, but it's definitely her safe zone. We've gotten her a small kitty condo, and it seems to be working fairly well. Tobi still sits in her box every now and then, but she spends more time in the condo. If you're worried about Squeaky's health, I would recommend the same smile
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tia, Feb 6 2:21 pm

Behavior & Training > Why does she drool?

Tobi

Purred: Mon Feb 4, '13 3:58pm PST 
Tobi and I had an appointment with the vet to have her teeth checked today, just to make sure everything was okay. Her teeth are just fine, pretty clean, and typical for a young kitty. Her vet said that it's a behavior that there's a small percentage of cats that will drool in response to positive stimulation, essentially the same thing Ben and Lefty said, and that she's likely to be a lifelong happy drooler. I'm glad she has no medical proplems smile I really do love having a quirky kitty!
Thanks so much for the responses, guys!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Miki, Apr 25 11:36 am

Behavior & Training > Why does she drool?
Tobi

Purred: Thu Jan 31, '13 11:04am PST 
We adopted Tobi a few months ago, and at first she was rather shy. She has allergies and had taken nearly all of the fur off her hind end. It seemed almost as if she was embarrassed by her bald behind. After a gentle bath and a switch in diets, Tobi's a lot less itchy now and has become extremely affectionate.
Here's the thing, though- when someone's petting her, and she's all excited and purring, she drools. I've only ever known one other cat that does this, but he's old and has overgrown fangs, which, his owner says, is the reason for his drooling. Tobi is young, only two or three years old, and all of her teeth fit in her mouth. There doesn't seem to be anything medically wrong with her, but I'm rather curious. Does anyone know why she would drool when she's excited? Does anyone else have a cat that does this?
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Miki, Apr 25 11:36 am

Cats and a Clean Home > My Butt Stinks, and I Fling Litter Everywhere

Tobi

Purred: Fri Jan 18, '13 5:35pm PST 
Thanks everyone for all of the helpful responses! I apologize for taking so long to post an update, life's just been a little hectic lately.
We've gotten Tobi a bigger box, and it's helping a great deal with her messiness. She can now dig to her heart's content, but most of the litter is kept, for the most part, where it belongs.
The horrid smell of Tobi's poops seemed to have solved itself. It appears that it just took her a little bit to get used to the food we started feeding her. Her previous owners had been feeding her Friskies, and I normally would never change an animal's diet so drastically and all at once, but Tobi is allergic to the dyes in certain foods- Friskies being one of those brands.When we brought her home, we noticed several bald spots where she'd licked and chewed herself so badly, especially on the backs of her hind legs, so we felt that we needed to get her on a diet that would reduce her itchiness right away. She still, however, does have a problem with keeping herself clean. I've been trying to give her an extra hand, which she's not entirely happy about, but seems to know that it's best for everyone in the situation. I think that she's so used to having a bald bottom that now that her fur is starting to grow back, she can't remember what she was supposed to do.
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Beep, May 11 4:03 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > My Butt Stinks, and I Fling Litter Everywhere

Tobi

Purred: Thu Jan 10, '13 4:46pm PST 
We got Tobi not too long ago, and I've noticed she has some odd bathroom habits. She gets litter everywhere when she uses her box. I caught her once just sitting in her box and flinging litter over the side, without having to "go" at all. I've put a mat down under her box for easier cleaning, but it seems like a waste of litter to me. I've considered getting her a covered box, but her poo also smells really bad and I've had a cat refuse to use a covered box because he was offended by his own smell. I'm not sure what I can do to reduce the smell. With other cats, I've been able to change their diet with great success, but Tobi has food allergies. The dyes in some cat foods make her skin itchy. I'm feeding her Whiskas Meaty Selections right now. Is it possible that the high amount of protein in the food is what makes her poo smell so bad? If so, then it's just an easy switch from the Meaty Selections formula to the Indoor formula, but otherwise I'm not sure what foods I could feed her without spending a fortune on cat food.
Also, would anyone know of a way for me to change her habit of playing in the litter box without deterring her from using the box altogether?
[notify]

» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Beep, May 11 4:03 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > A Fluffy Bandage - The Best Kind

Tobi

Purred: Thu Jan 10, '13 1:16pm PST 
I recently lost my cat Bandit. He was my shadow, and I felt like a piece of my life died with him, but I did not by any means want to get another cat so soon after he passed. However, when a friend told me that she knew someone who could no longer care for his cat and asked me if I'd take her in... I couldn't say no. The shelters are already overpopulated, and I was told the cat had mild special needs- a food allergy that requires a diet that's a little more expensive than average.
When first she came home, my fiancee was her care taker. I would hardly look at her- she wasn't my Bandit, and no other cat would do. Still, Tobi chose the spot on the bed next to my head to sleep rather than anywhere else, and despite how I ignored her she followed me around for the first few days, until finally I found myself watching TV with a purring ball of fluff in my lap. My first thought was that her purr was different from Bandit's. That she was smaller than him and her fur didn't feel the same.
And my next thought...
Here was this creature who I had openly rejected. I had been cold to her, almost mean. And still, she wanted nothing more than to love me, and only hoped to get my affection in return...
After that I began to reach out to her a little more. It's not quite the same- I have a Bandit-shaped hole in my life and Tobi is... Well, Tobi-shaped. Both cats have hugely different personalities, and while it still feels like something's missing. Tobi's soft purrs and warm affection help ease the pain.
It might sound silly... But I can't help but wonder if Bandit had something to do with Tobi finding her way into our lives...
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Irma Thomas, Jan 11 9:51 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.