Postings by Misty

GO!

Cat Health > Low T4, cronic infections, sugar in urine no diabetes, what could it be?

Misty

Mystique the- lady of- Snortington

Purred: Sat Feb 16, '13 11:16am PST 
It's been a little while but we had gone back to vet to check thyroid and liver values again. Thyroid went back to normal after the course of clavamox but the liver ALT was still high. At that point my vet said other than that, she seemed okay.

Recently this week she started to lick around her mouth a lot, shaking her head when she does. She just had a dental in august, and doesn't get into much. When she yawns her mouth looks pretty normal. Ill be calling the vet about this next week. Hair is still missing from her tummy, and I may start her ear drops again since the ear infection might be bothering her again.

When i refilled her prednisolone the tech mentioned they wanted to get her liver values checked again in a month or two (this would be our 4th blood work in a year) At this point if we're going to do that, i may just get it done at a different vet for a second opinion. We've been through so many tests and so much money (over 4k in the last year over two cats, one who passed with cancer,) its probably worth it to take what we have in blood work, the sugar in urine, the other symptoms, etc and see if it all rings a bell to someone else.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Joey, Feb 21 3:28 pm

Senior Cats > Need small size kibble (in addition to wet)
Misty

Purred: Sat Jan 5, '13 9:43pm PST 
Merrick before grain is pretty small. Pea size-ish and my girl loves it.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Felix, Oct 21 2:45 pm

Cat Health > Asthmatic Cat- Alternive to inhaler while we go on vacation?

Misty

Purred: Fri Jan 4, '13 1:37pm PST 
Will your cat take medicine in food? I don't know much about switching between the inhaler and the pred pills, but if your kitty gets the clear to switch between the two and he will take a pill in something (like tikicat tuna or fancy feast,something real smelly and strong) that might be a no-contact way to get the meds in.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Jan 24 9:53 pm

Cat Health > Low T4, cronic infections, sugar in urine no diabetes, what could it be?

Misty

Purred: Fri Jan 4, '13 1:29pm PST 
Thanks so much for the well wishes! Our other cat recently passed from a jaw/brain tumor and we found a lot of help on different forums and blogs. Without an ultrasound or biospy (the vet recommended against as even if confirmed the placement made it untreatable) we weren't able to get a firm diagnosis until it was the end. Reading others experiences with cancer in cats helped us come to terms and to prepare. I figured it may be useful to others in searching, or maybe someone else had a similar range of odd symptoms.

I do not know if we tested for urinary crystals, on most recent conversation the vet seems to think it's some type of systemic infection or cancer, with the xray or ultrasound recommended in order to look for such. We had already decided not to proceed with testing that would only be to confirm cancer. She did say her kidney and liver values over all looked OK with one liver value slightly high.

We'll be going back for a limited blood panel for thyroid and liver functions though in case the liver values have gone further up, or the T4 has changed after the antibiotic course. It's just such an odd mash of symptoms it seems something bigger is going on than the sum of the parts.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Joey, Feb 21 3:28 pm

Misty

Purred: Mon Dec 31, '12 7:00pm PST 
Hello, I've been haunting cat forums for the past few months while going through a few not so fun health issues with my cats, but finally decided to actually post!

My baby girl (who is actually 9,10 or older, we do not know) has had a series of issues. We acquired her from a family member so some of her history is unknown. She is currently under care of a vet but I'm hoping someone may have further insight.

Here is the run down. Sorry kinda long!
* Treated for ear mites and ear infection early 2012

* Had dental extractions in aug with normal blood work.

* Taken to vets for honers syndrome and treated for both yeast (tresaderm) and bacterial infections(gentaotic.)Horner's does resolve but infection does not clear over 4-6 weeks of treatments

* Begins peeing outside litterbox and in carrier in the last 2 weeks which is very abnormal for her. Glucose is found in urine but blood work is done again and Fructosamine levels indicate she does not have diabetes.

* total T4 levels are very low. Previous T4 was 2.3 now is 0.7 with high Albumin, high ALK Phosphate, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, low platelet count and high glucose and of course, sugar in urine. No protein in urine.

*Is given Claxamox 2x a day in case there is underlying infection.

*Cat gained 1 full pound at time of most recent blood work from previous weight 2 weeks before. But her food is measured daily with no change in diet. Canned food & low carb dry.

* Has been "pulling" small bits of hair. Suddenly gets thinning patching along both sides of stomach, though its a place she usually cannot reach to groom because of her size.

* after two weeks of clavamox, she seems to have lost the gained weight oddly enough, though we are waiting to get back to vets to confirm. She was acting kinda lethargic, seems slightly more active now but is not an active cat in general. Coat seems to change texture daily. Stools are daily and loose, when she used to go every other day. Continues to miss the litterbox.

Currently the vet (whom I do trust) wants to do an ultrasound or x-ray. Im waiting to get in office again to discuss exactly what we're doing both to find. She said Low T4 is usually indicative of underlying conditions and may mean something serious or systemic.

So while Im waiting to get to the vets (again,) I wanted to see if anything sounded familiar or rang a bell with anyone with what could be going on?
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Joey, Feb 21 3:28 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.