GO!

Cat Health > Same death pattern of all kittens?! Why...?

Hunter

Is that a hair- elastic? ^w^

Purred: Thu Dec 26, '13 5:21pm PST 
I have to agree with the poster who suggested finding an actual shelter for the kittens you rescue. Raising a single kitten takes a fair amount of funds, time and knowledge. I can only imagine how costly it would be to properly care for the volume of kittens you take in. I understand that you are trying to save these orphans but the only way you can get rid of any infectious disease would be to find a place for your current kittens/cats and do a super good clean down of the home.
New kittens coming in should be kept in a quarantine room for at least 4 weeks and all cats/kittens should have their shots and be spayed and neutered. In a proper rescue all of these things are provided for. You have to ask yourself if taking in these kittens that you cannot really afford to care for is the kindest option.
If you really want to help take the kittens you find to an SPCA, rescue or shelter so they can receive the care they need. If you are committed to helping cats/kittens you could always foster cats for a shelter/rescue. They provide the funds and food and all you need to provide is the love.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 26 5:21 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > I need litter help!
Hunter

Purred: Sun Jun 16, '13 2:48pm PST 
@Leela> I just bought Exquisticat Pine litter. They are the same little wood pellets you mentioned. I have a mix of clumping litter and pellets in the box right now and he seems to be using it, just wondering if you had any tips on how to switch them? Hunter doesn't detest them but he really prefers the clumping litter.
[notify]

» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Nov 30 8:09 am

Behavior & Training > Please help my kitty family!

Hunter

Purred: Fri Mar 22, '13 8:45pm PST 
I would highly suggest reading Cat Vs. Cat: Keeping Peace When You Have More Than One Cat by Pam Johnson-Bennett ( http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Vs-Keeping-Peace-When/dp/0142004758 ) as it's a great in depth look into how cats interact and gives you some great clues into what they are thinking.
As time passes and the hormones leave their systems you should have an easier time reintroducing the cats. I would separate all 4 cats and reintroduce first the two you know get along best and slowly work my way back to the two that don't get along so well. While you have the cats in separate areas do a major overhaul clean of the main space. Deodorize and rearrange the room so the cats feel like they are entering a new (and neutral) territory.

Hope that helps a bit!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 27 6:38 pm

Behavior & Training > i'm a newbie and need help

Hunter

Purred: Tue Feb 5, '13 7:16pm PST 
" Make them a dish of shredded turkey breast from the deli and make them eat it together a few times, this is called the corporate luncheon. Seriously.. im not joking."

Kisu you made my day XD
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 5 7:16 pm

Behavior & Training > Is this going well? Or not so much lol

Hunter

Purred: Wed Jan 2, '13 8:22pm PST 
I'm so happy for you guys! I love hearing stories where everyone is happy :3 Your Tao kitty came home and now he has a buddy, a super bonus for them both being rescues!
I just got a second cat (I myself am not a cat person either. I like and understand dogs a lot more) and I've been having the same problem so I'm glad I read your post and everyone's advice.

Well wishes from myself, Kye, Carbon, Hunter and Simon!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 2 8:22 pm

Behavior & Training > Catching this cat or keeping it outside - any tips?
Hunter

Purred: Sun Dec 30, '12 4:33pm PST 
You could always try calling Animal Control who would come and try and catch the cat for you, where I live they do not charge you to do this.
Another thing you could try is rigging up the door so that the new cat can get in but cannot get out again. All you would have to do is set up a few strips of wood or something on the outside of the cat door so that it opens when he pushes outside to go in but it will not open when he's inside trying to get back out. As for the hole that is uncovered just put something up to block that until you catch this wandering kitty.
I agree that it is way safer for a cat to be kept indoors, using kitty litter seems to be second nature to a cat. I would start by using an uncovered litter box and place some dirt or sand in it at first as that's where outdoor cats are likely to go to do their business. Just start slowly incorporating the litter into the sand/dirt until you reach the point where she goes into the litter. Depending on the size of the space the cat is in now I would just keep her in a smaller area where there is less opportunity to go in unwanted places until she learns about the litter. Cats catch on pretty quick so I wouldn't worry about her not learning what a litter is for. Stay away from litters that are heavily scented or have a lot of dust at first because that can deter a cat from going in the litter.

Unless you are planning on keeping the marauding cat as a pet I don't think it should be your responsibility to make sure he's neutered, if he has an owner that would be their responsibility. If animal control wont pick him up the best thing to do is trap him and take him to a shelter/rescue or try and find him a home independently.

Good luck and keep us posted!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 30 4:33 pm

Behavior & Training > Cat dominating the other

Hunter

Purred: Sat Dec 29, '12 9:14pm PST 
I just finished reading a book called Cat VS Cat that has some really good insights as to how to maintain a household of more than one feline. The advice was easy to understand and she explains why they do what they do. I would very much suggest reading that, I'm sure your local library can order it in. I got mine at Petsmart and I'm sure any local book store would be able to order if it if you wanted a copy of your own!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/72818.Cat_vs_Cat

I haven't read her first book "Think Like A Cat" but I am definitely going to order it in!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13484.Think_Like_a_Cat

She recommends using Feliway a lot in her book and explains how and when to use it for the best results.

Good luck and keep us posted!! kittykitty
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 9:14 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.