Postings by Esperanza

GO!

Food & Nutrition > Opinions on "Allergy" Food

Esperanza

It's all about- ME!

Purred: Tue Feb 5, '13 7:53pm PST 
No - vet didn't really mention any testing and I've read elsewhere that it's not very accurate. Wish there was a way to tell. (Thanks everyone for your answers!)

So she's better now and back on regular food and antihistamines, but she seems to lick her lips and possibly be nauseous, which is a side effect, so now she's starting Pepcid as well. Fur seems a little better, but now we're into winter so it could be itching due to dryness.

**QUESTION ON VENISON:** If this is food related, that's about the only thing she hasn't had and I'm testing out some Nature's Variety Instinct and Natural Balance Venison & Green Pea. I am concerned about things like Chronic Wasting Disease and such. Has anyone had any issues or read anything about venison? (God knows I DO NOT like what I see in prescription food: by-products, cellulose powder - sawdust? - yeesh.)
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Maizy , Feb 11 2:07 pm

Esperanza

It's all about- ME!

Purred: Wed Dec 12, '12 7:40pm PST 
Thanks so much. Right now I just want to focus on getting her back to where she was before this, which was only some increased hair loss. I don't understand how putting her on a 'safe' prescription food could make her so much more of a mess.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Maizy , Feb 11 2:07 pm

Esperanza

It's all about- ME!

Purred: Tue Dec 11, '12 10:34pm PST 
So my cat's been pulling out her fur more recently (no sores or bleeding) & my vet recommended prescription food for possible allergy. Sample Royal Canin Venison caused immediate explosive diarrhea but Hill's Z/D seemed OK. However, it's now 1.5 weeks after her 5-day switchover period from her old food and she's been less and less thrilled with it. Now she just had a fit of vomiting & diarrhea. Calling the vet in the AM to say I'm taking her off and what's the next suggestion.

Has anyone had any similar experiences with prescription foods? I would like to find out if she is allergic to an ingredient, but she's never been as sick as this. Wow!!! I'm actually betting on a chicken allergy and the hydrolyzed liver just doesn't cut it. Has anyone done home cooked diets from their vet? (Would be a riot if this turned out to be all an inhalant allergy. Ugh.)
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Maizy , Feb 11 2:07 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.