Postings by Charlie

GO!

Senior Cats > Is it time to help my lo boy cross the Rainbow Bridge?

Charlie

Purred: Wed Nov 28, '12 10:30pm PST 
Unfortunately my husband was laid off last month and then had surgery the same week, so funds are extremely tight. I think we will just have to figure out some way to swing it. I'm not comfortable with putting him down without being sure that it's the right choice. I've had him his whole life so I don't want to fail him now.
I'm not certain that he is in much pain, at least not regularly, because he loves my son loving on him and still tolerates being handled and pet. His behavior seems odd though because he has occasionally taken to cowering when you approach him, as though he's been hit, and I'm absolutely certain he hasn't been.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Dec 9 10:39 am

Senior Cats > Is it time to help my lo boy cross the Rainbow Bridge?
Charlie

Purred: Wed Nov 28, '12 8:41pm PST 
My 16-17 year old boy has been slowly becoming less and less of himself over the last year or two. In the last year he has quit bathing himself for the most part, requiring us to trim his hair every couple months and bathe him regularly. He apparently was having some difficulty getting into his litter box so we bought him one that was easier for him to step into. About six months ago we adopted another special needs senior. They seem to get along but aren't what I would call "bonded". It now seems that our old boy has recently started urinating on our clothes, couch, and occasionally on the floor. Sometime last night he pooped on the couch and urinated on a blanket that was also there. They have both been neutered for several years so I don't believe that it's an issue of territory. He has also recently started hissing and swiping at our other kitty and even my husband. This is not at all typical for him. He still tolerates my 3-year-old son cuddling him and loving on him but I am worried that my old boy may hurt my son without even meaning to. I would really appreciate any advice. I'm not sure if I'm ready to make this decision.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Dec 9 10:39 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.