Postings by Tora

GO!

Behavior & Training > Need Help w/ Introductions

Tora

Attacker of- Crinkle Balls!

Purred: Tue Oct 16, '12 10:19am PST 
The cats aren't very accepting. The older ones are both hissing at our kitten, and the kitten is still hissing at the dog, BUT, Tora is very curious even though she is hissing at the dog. When he goes to lay in his crate she gets on the love seat next to it and sniffs it. She had a moment w/ him the other night and sniffed him, and it was cute for a second, then she hissed and spit at him. I think we're gonna have better luck w/ the dog rather than the older cats. We're only gonna be there for about 7 more months, and then I'm getting married and moving out, but I would still like for them to get along a little better :/
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tora, Oct 16 10:19 am

Behavior & Training > Need Help w/ Introductions
Tora

Attacker of- Crinkle Balls!

Purred: Tue Oct 9, '12 1:43pm PST 
We just brought home a kitten last week, and we're trying to start introductions. I read Kittens for Dummies before she came home, and I've been doing introductions w/ the kitten in the carrier. We have 2 other cats and a dog. I don't believe this kitten has ever seen a dog at all in her life, so it scares her. We bring the dog into her room and we take the kitten into his kennel. Last night we put her in the kennel w/ the dog while she was in her carrier and had her scooted pretty close to the dog w/out any hissing. Our oldest cat approached her carried but stayed about 1ft back. She seems curious, and she doesn't seem like she's gonna be aggressive or anything. Then Ocious (she's about 10) just walked straight up to the carrier not realizing that there was a kitten in there, and then after about 20 secs she hissed loud and ran away. She didn't swipe at the carrier or spit, so is that a good sign?
I just mainly need tips and advice and encouragement. Am I doing this right? Are my fiance and I on the right path?
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Tora, Oct 16 10:19 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.