Postings by Romeo

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Food & Nutrition > Research: what food do you feed and why?
Romeo

Purred: Mon May 13, '13 1:29pm PST 
I feed my cats wet food twice a day and leave out dry food for snacking between meals or else they think they're starving.

Wet food choices: Dave's, Evangers, Wellness, CORE, Merrick Before Grain and 96%, Nature's Variety Instinct, Soulistic, and ocasionally Natural Balance Delectable Delights. My cats love them all.

Dry food choices: Merrick's BG, Wellness CORE, Taste of the Wild, Acana, Fromm. My cats love Merrick's the best. They're not big fans of Wellness CORE.

I also feed them raw chicken with supplements on occasion.

Foods I won't feed and why:

Fancy Feast Classics: They love it but it takes way too much of it to fill them up so it's not really a good bargain for us.

Hounds and Gatos wet food: My cat and my puppy both threw up every bit they ate. My other cat ate it with no problems except terrible gas.

Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Boost kibbles: They love it and I love how long a bag lasts them but their poo smells horrible after they eat it!

Blue Wilderness wet and dry: All 4 cats refused the dry food. Only 1 cat would eat the canned wet and she was violently ill afterwards. frown
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Miss Tiny Burr Burr, Jul 12 10:01 am

Food & Nutrition > Food On A Budget
Romeo

Purred: Mon May 6, '13 2:48pm PST 
I adopted 2 cats from a rescue organization that were in great health when I got them. Their age was unknown but they were estimated to be about 1-2 years old. I fed them Natural Balance Ultra for about 5 years with a bit of wet food once in a while as a treat. Fast forward a few years later- I started feeding them the cheapest food I could find due to financial problems. Their health declined in a slow but steady pace. One of the cats lost a lot of weight and the other became obese. Things started looking better financially and I started looking for better food. I discovered that my cats didn't need dry food at all and started feeding them food such as Merrick's and Wellness. They settled into healthy weights soon after but their teeth....what they had left were horribly decayed and they had severe gum disease. Even though I tried to make it right by taking them to the vet for treatment it was really too late. They deteriorated over the next couple years until I felt the only humane thing to do was to put them to sleep. frown I blame myself for not knowing better. I should have researched and taken better care of them. I will always have to live with this. The lesson is...better nutrition leads to a better and longer life. You can buy better food on a budget. Just cut coupons. Join clubs like Petco Pals. Shop around for the best deals.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sammy, May 7 9:47 am

Food & Nutrition > Food On A Budget

Romeo

Purred: Sun Apr 28, '13 10:52am PST 
I've found that Evangers in the 12oz cans is cheaper than any other comparable brand such as Wellness and NV Instinct. I pay $1.95 per can at Go Pet Go.

Fancy Feast is relatively cheap but it takes 6 cans a day to feed my 2 boys so it costs more in the long run.
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Sammy, May 7 9:47 am

Food & Nutrition > Merrick

Romeo

Purred: Sat Apr 27, '13 8:01am PST 
My Bengal boys love Merrick's BG Chicken variety the best. They liked the salmon and tuna, too. They did very well on it and their coats were so soft and lush. We've pretty much cut out the dry and have been feeding wet food nearly exclusively for the last month or so. Cats really don't need dry food but if you're gone for a large part of the day it's nice to leave some out for them to munch on.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by KIKI, Apr 29 7:59 am

Food & Nutrition > Instinct canned food?

Romeo

Purred: Thu Apr 4, '13 2:46pm PST 
My cats prefer the dog version of Instinct because it seem to have more moisture- which is good for cats anyway. You can sign up to receive coupons from their website.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Shade, Apr 6 6:38 am

Food & Nutrition > Hound & Gatos 98% meat canned food
Romeo

Purred: Tue Mar 19, '13 6:06pm PST 
One of my Bengal boys tried the Chicken flavor and loved it. The other one tried it and threw it up. frown I found it at Go Pet Go at $1.15 for a 5.5 oz can.

Edited to add: My Bengals have never thrown up before this incident.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Romeo, Mar 19 6:06 pm

Food & Nutrition > Cat food budget decisions...

Romeo

Purred: Thu Feb 21, '13 8:02am PST 
I have sort of the same issues with finding affordable cat food, too. I refuse to buy any of the cheaper foods loaded with grains because I recently had to put my beloved girls down due to health issues caused by poor nutrition over the years before I educated myself about cat nutrition. I've found that these foods are the most economical grain-free choices: Taste of the Wild, Merrick's, Wellness in the large cans, and Natural Balance. Most companies have programs that you can sign up to receive coupons and Petco and Petsmart have reward programs, too.

A few more choices and why I don't buy them as much:

Soulistic- my boys love it but it contains more water, which is good for cats but it's not as filling. I'd rather add more water to food myself.

Fancy Feast Classics: Grain-free but loaded with by-products. My boys have to eat about 5 cans each daily to fill up on it. Not so cost-effective in the long run.

A tip I learned from this forum: Nature's Variety Instinct canned food for dogs contains the same ingredients plus adequate taurine for cats, too. Much cheaper than the cat version and plus my boys prefer it! The cat version is drier/more crumbly than the dogs version.

Another tip: Reps from pet food companies often visit Petco on Saturdays and love to give out coupons and samples so load up!

One more tip: Feed stores are usually cheaper than pet food chains and also usually have free samples.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Feb 26 9:03 pm

Food & Nutrition > My cat always seems hungry.

Romeo

Purred: Mon Feb 11, '13 7:41pm PST 
I never go by the guidelines posted by the cat food company. Like people, each cat has a different body type/composition. My Bengal boys are fed free-choice dry all day and they split a 5.5 oz. can twice daily. Neither are fat but they are very big, energetic, muscular boys. The rule of thumb for me is that if they scarf their food down in less than 2 minutes I give them more. If they leave some on their plate I give them less then next time. Your cat will let you know if she's not getting enough to eat and as long as she's not tubby I would let her have as much as she wants.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Miss Puff , Feb 12 9:24 pm

Food & Nutrition > nature's variety instinct or wellness core?

Romeo

Purred: Mon Feb 11, '13 7:32pm PST 
We bought the original Wellness CORE while it was on sale with a coupon and my Bengal boys don't seem to be as enthusiastic about it this time as they were in the past. We try to rotate dry and wet foods so they don't get bored. They love Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Boost kibble but I'm not a fan of the stinky poos they had after eating it. It only got worse as we neared the bottom of the bag.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Beep, Feb 12 1:56 pm

Food & Nutrition > Are New Food Brands Risky?
Romeo

Purred: Sun Jan 20, '13 12:17pm PST 
You can return the cans you bought from Petco and exchange them for another food. I've found that my cats will vomit anything with grains in it. It's also best to transition from one food to another slowly to prevent stomach upset. My Birman has to eat Natural Balance Limited Ingredients duck and pea formula wet. The other cats do well on most other grain-free and by-product free foods.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by princess pinkie pie cupcakes, Jan 23 9:56 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.