Postings by Star

GO!

Grooming > Cat runs away from brush

Star

Purred: Wed Feb 6, '13 7:09am PST 
I have a cat that hates everyone, always has.. animals.. people. She had terrible things inflicted on her by people, so I understand this. You can imagine how trying to teach her to love the brush was.. I currently still have a piece of her tooth in my finger from 3yrs ago. She was 8 weeks when I got her and is now 9. I had to literally put her on my lap tummy down, and semi confine her and brush her to teach her. Lots of growling, hissing etc. if you have someone rub their ears, it helps. It took a while but she screams and comes running for the brush now. Hope this helps. Oh and treats after, always!
[notify]

» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Star, Feb 6 7:09 am

Grooming > Are lion cuts stressful for kitties?
Star

Purred: Thu Jan 17, '13 6:03pm PST 
I am with Sherpa on this. I hate getting my lion cut, so mom does it in a few days because i am old and get stressed from the process. However, I love mom and dad SO much after that i climb on their lap for a deep snuggle and purr within 15 minutes after, and constantly until my fur starts to grow out too much again. i love being pet after a cut too. mom can scratch me and it feels soooo good. before I would twitch lots cuz it was uncomfortable to even be pet. But I have skin issues.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 21 10:31 am

Behavior & Training > Peeing EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME, and for WHAT reason?? Heeellp...

Star

Purred: Thu Dec 20, '12 4:07pm PST 
I used to do this all the time! Mom got me fixed thinking it would help, and it didn't. I am going to be 10 years old soon, and I still do it. I love my mom, but i HATE change, I hate new MEN especially. I ain't gonna lie, I get jealous. I am a manx though, and I only take to one person in my lifetime. Let's face it buddy, this is MY mom. How DARE you come in here and take her away from me! I don't think so. So yeah, I peed on your jacket when it fell on the floor, and your socks. You never listened to hit the road, so I needed to make mom understand too. Her turn to have her things peed on.

Then, she thinks she can... get this.. CONFINE ME to a bedroom at night. Like what the heck was she thinking?! I ate the wooden closet door, part of the door frame, howled to keep her up, and clawed everything to bits that was in that bedroom! I sure showed her. Ok well, I MOSTLY showed her.

She has been with my new daddy now for 8 years. He is ok I guess. After 5 years I gave up and let it all go against them. But if we move one more darned time, I am gonna do it again! What can I say? I have cattitude and I ain't afraid to show it! I do this out of stress and jealously, take it or leave it.

It sounds like you are like me Atilla (hopefully I spent your name right) *PawFive* on showing them who is boss!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Star, Dec 20 4:07 pm

Cat Health > UTI prevention in male cats

Star

Purred: Tue Dec 18, '12 3:31pm PST 
I have been through this before, my cat Tiggy that is no longer with us, at the age of 4 got crystals and was rushed to the vet. He was on a couple of diets that didn't work. In the end, the Hills CD worked for him. So in my experience, the right diet does have an effect. He lived to the age of 12 UTI and crystal free. I also gave him 1/4 can of wet canned food in the morning all watered down to make sure he was ok.

My opinion however, differs...

Since having one special needs kitty on a raw diet, I have seen the amazing difference canned vs raw really makes. On canned, she is mainly a vegetable. On a raw diet, she is somewhat pretty normal except not walking. So I am all for the raw diet, she has no health problems with organs etc. She can eat my dogs fur in chunks and her body digests it. Her coat alone speaks volumes.

IF you can't afford to go raw, then canned with extra water is really the best way to go. I agree with everyone here, ditch the grains. I have 4 animals currently, I have tested the grain theory and its so right. The added salt in dry food really isn't helping anyone. Bad, bad, bad.

If you are stuck with dry food, an idea is to put warm water on the dry food, let it sit for a few minutes until its soft, then make it mushy and probably add a bit more water to make it soupy.

Hopefully with everyones options, opinions, and suggestions you can find what works. No kitty should be in pain frown
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by BK, Feb 2 9:54 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Tough night!

Star

Purred: Sat Dec 8, '12 8:56am PST 
I am sorry to read this, but I am glad you were converted to cat love. Stealthy little creatures we are, we always leave a pawprint on your heart...Time makes it a little easier, but I hope someday you will have room in your heart and home for another. hug
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Alfie - Angel DB#14, Dec 10 11:31 am

Kitten Corner > How were you named?
Star

Purred: Fri Sep 14, '12 4:55pm PST 
Merida: because I started life unable to move my one front arm, then unable to walk when everyone else did, I was stuck in the blistering heat for 3 days, pelted by hail stones the size of a dime, and still refused to give up and I love to be the rebel. (From the Disney movie Brave, now in threaters)

Star: I have a five point star in each eye, thinly outlined in gold

Knigget (nig-get): Mom played a roleplaying game online and the Knights guild were called Kniggets for slang by the other guilds. My original name from the humane society was Knight.

Alastar (my dog): It's irish, like mommy, and means defender of man. Which is fitting since I am part wolf!
[notify]

» There has since been 38 posts. Last posting by Mordecai Sabestain, Jul 8 4:29 am

Behavior & Training > Help! I'm new and nobody likes me!

Star

Purred: Wed Sep 12, '12 7:36pm PST 
Whenever introducing cats to my household, because I have had two of them for 10 years plus and I constantly take in injured or abandonded cats, I always put a few drops of pure vanilla extract on my hand and rub my hands together and then pet each animal for about a full minute, especially around their scent glands. It makes everyone smell the same, the vanilla is potent enough to cover their indivual scent and they realize they smell the same so they must be ok. This has never worked on my female manx though, she hates the newest animal everytime. She hates new people as well. This has never changed in ten years, but in a house of 3 cats and 2 dogs, nothing serious has ever happened. She just always projects her hate onto the newest member. She hated our oldest dog until we got the new dog this year, now she hates the new dog. She will never change!

It's uncommon for them to keep up the I hate you fascade, but I know only a handful of people including myself that this behavior of a specific cat has never lifted. I also find females are the worst to accept new members than males. Just seems to take the gals a bit longer I think.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tigger, Sep 15 9:00 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.