Postings by Midas

GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Cats and a Clean Home > How best to transition an outdoor cat to an indoor?
Midas

'cause his touch- is too much!

Purred: Thu Oct 17, '13 11:03am PST 
Last August I made Midas an indoor only cat when I took him to college with me. It was easier because I moved with him to a new location. It made him MUCH more attached to me and my dogs. What also helped was having literally 5 cat trees of various sizes. The largest is 5 ft tall and about 3 ft wide. It is a beast, and he sleeps on it most afternoons. I want to make him another one that is wall mounted, but I just don't have room at the moment. I went home over the summer to where he formerly live, and he hated it. He really doesn't like other cats (my parents have 4), and had to be kept in only one room. He did always try to escape there. You got some great advice above, and now I will try to share my experience. Sorry if I repeat anything already said!

Now I have moved again to an actual house, and I have done some things to try to make him even happier!

First, curtains on all the windows. If you have metal blinds, they are going to get destroyed by the cat (probably). If you want to maintain your privacy while letting the cat enjoy seeing the outdoors, curtains are a must have (vertical blinds also work for really big windows). Midas is small enough to sit on most windowsills, though a cat perch on one or two favorites to encourage him to sit in particular windows certainly does not hurt either. Just make sure that if you do have blinds you tie up the cord so he doesn't run the risk of getting tangled in it.

I second the above poster who recommends an enclosed patio. I built one out of a gazebo and some lattice. It cost about $600. Eventually we want to put in a real patio cover, but we don't have the $2000 for that currently, plus we would need more lattice to enclose more space. There is some question as to if a cat can squeeze through the lattice, and while Midas has not, there is no guarantee that another cat won't.

They sell screen that is cat claw proof. It is great, and could be used on either your windows or if you chose to build an enclosure. I really recommend it for the windows though, as you really cannot tell much of a difference between screens, so even if you are renting, switching them out should not be a problem. It gives me peace of mind when I leave a window open, and Midas loves to smell all the things outside!

Another thing to do is attract local birds to your yard for him to watch from a window. Just a feeder will do, but I have found I just love having the birds around, and plan on adding a bird bath and some bird houses in the coming years. Of course other cats in the neighborhood might be a problem. Try to keep everything high and away from fences and easily climbable trees.

I think the last thing I want to add to this list is metal security doors. They are great to have on any home to help deter theft, but they also can be left open without worry of either the cat going out or people coming in. They are a great way to get a breeze during the summer too.

Of course, even with all of this, he has gotten out a few times (before I fixed the screens, doors accidentally left open, etc), and instead of running, he finds the nearest patch of dirt and rolls in it like a man who has been on a ship for the last year and just made land. It does help that he does not know the area because we moved, but I also think that dirt might be the only thing he is not getting being an indoor cat. That's fine with me though, as he sleeps on my pillow.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Midas, Oct 17 11:03 am

Cat Health > Coat changes color?
Midas

Purred: Thu Oct 17, '13 12:56am PST 
I've noticed, though I cannot confirm for sure, that Midas seems to get a lighter coat in winter, and sheds to a darker, more patterned coat in the summer. If you look at the photos on his profile, some of them look kind of washed out, but they truly are true to color, he was that white, and I think he is going back to that again after being dark in the summer. Look at the stripes on his head, as I think those are the most telling. This next year will tell for sure if I am right...

So are there any breeds that do this, or does anyone else have a cat that does something similar?
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Maizy , Oct 21 2:35 pm

Behavior & Training > update there's a small rip in our window screen and felix squeezed out & stray cat

Midas

Purred: Mon Oct 7, '13 4:19pm PST 
Marlin is right, they need to be fixed now. In addition to that, they should both have their own places in the house. Separate litter boxes, their own cat trees, and a place to get away from each other. They also sell a screen for windows that is scratch proof. It is very secure too!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Midas, Oct 7 4:19 pm

Raw Food Diet > Moose!

Midas

Purred: Sun Oct 6, '13 9:31pm PST 
To elaborate on what Stella said, it is recommended that your freeze wild animal meat for 6-12 months or more before feeding to try to ensure all parasites are killed. Even then, there is no guarantee everything dangerous will be dead. I know it seems like a contradiction to the whole raw thing, as in theory we are trying to mimic what they would eat in nature, and what is more natural than feeding them what actually comes from nature?! But there is a great deal more risk feeding them wild caught food, that's just a fact, and a reason why many raw feeders just won't feed it at all. I mean, mice in the Tahoe region of California carry plague for goodness sake!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Oct 9 6:47 pm

Raw Food Diet > Rancid Raw

Midas

Purred: Sat Oct 5, '13 9:32pm PST 
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this! I will admit, I feed him once a day and just leave his food out. Sometimes he finishes it within the first hour, other times it will be as much as 8 hours later that he goes back. I imagine that there is definitely some bacteria growth in that time, but he is healthy and never seems to have a problem with this time frame. On the odd occasion there is some left after 24 hours, I do simply discard it as I need to wash the bowl. I have read though that people say it should only be left out for an hour or so, which is different than what I have read for dogs, hence why I was under the impression that maybe their digestion was a little different. That and them being hunters, whereas dogs both hunt and scavenge. Maybe cats scavenge more than I think they do? I appreciate knowing that he will be a good judge of things and I don't have to do ALL the work when it comes to taking care of him. big grin
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Midas, Oct 5 9:32 pm

Raw Food Diet > Rancid Raw
Midas

Purred: Thu Oct 3, '13 5:47pm PST 
First, I just want to say that I do not actually intend to feed any of my animals rancid meat, this is just a question for my own curiosity!

I spend a good amount of time lurking on the dogster raw forums as well because I have 3 dogs in addition to Midas. The general consensus over there is that bad smelling, 4D, even rancid meat can safely be fed to dogs. Meat that has been left out over night is definitely not a problem for dogs. Is the same true for cats? I am going to guess no, because cats kill and then eat their prey, immediately I assume. But what is the threshold? How many hours after something is killed will it still be consumed? How many hours after something is pulled from the freezer or fridge can it be left out before being considered bad? Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and research is also nice too if any is available!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Midas, Oct 5 9:32 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > moving and want to take the outside stray I've been feeding with me

Midas

Purred: Mon Sep 23, '13 8:46pm PST 
First I will address trying to catch Rocky. Do you have access to a cat trap? If you do, set it up so it won't trap and start feeding him next to it. You have time, not a lot, but hopefully enough, to give him confidence around the trap. Over a few days move the food closer and closer to the trap until it is in the mouth of the trap. Then over the next few days move it further and further back into the trap. Once you see him going in all the way, set it to actually trap! Otherwise, I think there might be some other traps that work that more experienced trappers use, but I don't know what they are. As for if he is owned or cared for by someone else, well, that is your call. If you do trap him though, once you move he will have to be indoors for a while or he will probably just run away. If he is already neutered, I would suggest leaving him as he is probably either owned or part of a feral colony that someone is managing.

As for Poe, how tiny is she? It could be that she is just not ready for hard food. Try giving her canned food instead. Much softer and healthier for kitties anyways. Mix some tuna in if you must at first. The tuna will blend with the canned food better anyways. There is a good chance she was not intentionally dumped but instead just got separated from a feral momma. People seem to find kittens all sorts of places, and they often get their themselves.

Of course, you probably already know this, but do get Poe, and Rocky if you catch him and he is not neutered, spayed and neutered once able. Best of luck, and thank you for having a caring heart!
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Tigger, Sep 29 11:23 am

Cat Health > Possible Breakaway Collar?

Midas

Purred: Mon Sep 23, '13 8:27pm PST 
As for why they wouldn't put the actual image up, chances are they just chose to use the photo they also use for their small dog collars. They might not have had any made up at the time they did the photo shoot, as the photography seems very professional. They also might actually make your collar once you order it, as a lot of Etsy sellers make things only once someone has ordered it. It wouldn't make sense to have both cat and small dog collars that might not ever sell.

Edit: oh, also, the red and blue ones pictured do not have breakaway buckles, but the brown and green ones at the bottom do have the correct buckles. smile
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Midas, Sep 23 8:27 pm

Cat Health > How to best protect cats from getting lost

Midas

Purred: Tue Sep 10, '13 8:59pm PST 
In a perfect world indoor only cats don't get out, but we don't live in a perfect world. Midas has managed to escape once since we moved. He pushed out a window screen that wasn't secured properly. I am lucky that he simply walked around the house and back in the open front door (we were having maintenance done on the house and he was locked in a room) before I even knew he was missing, but if not, it would be great to have something like the OP suggested. I am also a strong advocate that cats should be kept solely indoors, but I also know that there is no way in heck that is ever going to happen. There are feral colonies, working barn cats, and cats that people got tired of fighting to keep inside or cleaning a litterbox for. If the OP is offering a technology that would help reunite even one lost pet with its owner, it is a mission I can support.

As for how it works, yes, an implant would be completely amazing and the best option in my mind, but I can only imagine getting approval for that would be very difficult. People would be crying that us people are going to be tracked next (heck, look at the problems people still have with microchips!), or the radiation the chips emit cause cancer. I just figured I would lay out all the questions or concerns I would have if I was looking into using some technology like this. Security would definitely be a big one. As for your lost kitty, Ben, I sincerely hope that he comes home, and I am very sorry he is missing. hug
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Sep 14 5:07 pm

Cat Health > How to best protect cats from getting lost
Midas

Purred: Tue Sep 10, '13 10:02am PST 
I think it would be a great idea, and here are my thoughts on it:

The device would need to be fairly tiny. Since I doubt that it would be something that could be implanted, the cat would have to wear it on a collar. Obviously, something that would need to be fairly tiny to avoid irritation, or just looking really stupid. I'm thinking about how huge the tracking devices scientists use on wild animals are. I don't want that. I want it to be out of sight, out of mind until I have to use it.

The second thing it would need to be was fairly cheap. Cat are notorious for losing or getting out of their collars. While it could be larger and more expensive for a large breed dog that is less likely to lose it, if I have a cat, I don't want to spend a lot of money on something he might lose, especially if he is an indoor/outdoor cat. Think of it this way, I can spend $30-$40 for a microchip, and it will stay in the animal forever. It might not be as effective as this other technology, but it's cheap and will last me for the life of the pet. Alternatively, I can spend $10 on a collar and ID tag. It might get lost, but I'm not out much if it is. In theory you would be able to track it to the location it was lost, but what if it ended up in a puddle or that grumpy neighbor's yard?

How is this going to affect the battery life on my smartphone? Not to be selfish, but if my battery is going to die halfway through the day because it is constantly searching for a blue-tooth signal, I'm going to disable the app until I need it. It would need to only be activated for people within "x" mile radius after the owner sent out an alert for a missing pet. Also, perhaps there could be two apps, a free one for people without pets registered with the system, just to get more phones on the system for people who want to help detect pets, and then the paid version, where you can send out an alert for a missing pet, register your collars, etc.

Kind of building off the previous point is privacy. Because I see this also being used for dogs, I don't want my pet on the system at all times. What if someone sees that I have Fido out of the walk, meaning I'm not home and they can rob the place? What if they can see that I boarded Fluffy at a pet hotel for the week? What if I wanted one for all of my pets, but I technically had one too many, or I'm babysitting someone's pet, I don't want animal control to be able to drive by and count how many animals I have! The system would need to be very secure in order for me to feel comfortable using it.

My last comment will be on cost. Obviously, what people would be able to spend on something like this would vary a lot. Right now, I'm young, just graduated, don't have a job, and broke. We aren't struggling to put food on the table, but we also don't have any extra to spend on things we don't absolutely need. So right now, I probably wouldn't fall into your target demographic because even if it was only $10, I'm not going to be able to justify the cost when I'm saving pennies. On the other hand, I know people who spend a few hundred to a few thousand a month on their pets without batting an eye. Those people would be your early adopters. So there is definitely a demographic, but it is probably going to be from a smaller group of people until people use it and (if it works!) tell everyone else how wonderful it is and how it helped get Spot home.

Sorry for writing a book. I really do think this is great!
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Sep 14 5:07 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.