Postings by Princess

GO!

Cat Health > Pancreatitis Side Effect or Getting Old?

Princess

Pterodactyl Cat

Purred: Wed Dec 18, '13 1:36pm PST 
Sorry, the hidden question was: could she be drinking more because she's had pancreatitis and I'm not doing enough to manage it or is it just because she's getting old.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tequila, Jan 14 1:51 pm

Cat Health > Pancreatitis Side Effect or Getting Old?
Princess

Pterodactyl Cat

Purred: Wed Dec 18, '13 4:56am PST 
In the summer Princess, my Maine Coon, was hospitalised. It was probably one of the most frightening periods of my life. We were two days from kindly euthanising her when she began to finally respond to treatment and to eat again.

Since then she's been on a prescription diet and she's recovered very well. She is as enthusiastic about her people as she was before becoming unwell and has been doing very well. She'd had a few upset stomachs which could be blamed on eating the wrong food but other than this she's been doing good.

I became worried about her when I noticed that I was noticing her drinking. Normally Princess drinks like a ninja, you aren't ever really sure that she's had a drink but she seems happy enough so you assume she's done it. But now we're seeing her drinking more often, she will even ask to drink from glasses of water where beforehand a glass of water on the floor was safe from a cats tongue.

When she goes to the litter box it's also quite obvious. The stink is awful and her poops are not as they usually would be. They don't appear oily like they did after pancreatitis but they aren't right.

I do plan on taking Princess in for some tests. I'm concerned that her digestive tract isn't ticking away as it should and I'd rather see what's wrong now than wait for it to surprise us and mean emergency vet visits again.

I just need some advice/support before we go in as I often find I'm not certain that we're doing the right thing to battle this quite erratic disease.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Tequila, Jan 14 1:51 pm

Raw Food Diet > Raw Food as a Toothbrush

Princess

Pterodactyl Cat

Purred: Sat Oct 13, '12 3:11pm PST 
Thank you for your fast responses.

I had considered switching my cat to raw because Princess is now 10 and has recently had to have a tooth cleaning, apparently raw diet is much better for their teeth because they're using them in a more natural way and on food which isn't loaded with crap.

It sounds like it would be better to take the approach of feeding raw/wet rather than rat/kibble.

My cat can sometimes get the runs if she's had too much wet food, though... do you think the same thing could happen with raw/wet?
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by BK, Oct 19 9:55 am

Raw Food Diet > Raw Food as a Toothbrush

Princess

Pterodactyl Cat

Purred: Fri Oct 12, '12 12:41am PST 
Hi All,

Please forgive me if this has already been answered elsewhere:

Right now I am feeling quite selfish about my cat's diet. I want the pros of Raw Meaty Bones (cat version) diet, but I still want to be able to fall back to the convenience of pellets-and-packet food should the need arise. For example, we currently feed all the cats 1/2 sachet of wet food and basically free feed through toys, cat pellets (Royal Caine).

I'd like to be able to replace the sachet of wet food with a thawed chick or some other raw life like prey. Or cut up beef or whatever.

I have been testing the waters somewhere ineffectively with the cats by offering them slices of salmon, raw chicken and cooked prawns if I'm cooking (the rats already get this so it isn't an issue offering more) and the cats seem interested.

I dunno, my question I guess is whether the raw diet is an all or nothing kind of affair
If what I'm suggesting seems fesible
And do you have any cat-raw-diet specific links that I can look at?
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by BK, Oct 19 9:55 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.