Postings by Cinder

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Raw Food Diet > kitty can't keep down raw
Cinder

Purred: Mon Sep 3, '12 5:51am PST 
Hello Radar!

You can check out my post "Ideas for a VERY picky eater" about half way down this page which may have more ideas for you - one of my kitties is the same way with throwing up!

In any case what I'm doing for him now is a 50/50 mix of canned food (Nature's Variety) and whole ground raw (from Hare-Today.com). He will also get raw boneless pork, beef, rabbit and heart chunks (he seems fine with any raw boneless meat, just not organs). Anything other than that he will puke right back up! Still haven't pin-pointed what is making him barf - any commercial raw comes back up, and even plain whole ground raw got thrown up although he can keep it down mixed with canned shrug
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Osinka, Oct 1 9:19 am

Raw Food Diet > Stella & Chewy's newbie
Cinder

Purred: Thu Aug 30, '12 12:49pm PST 
Hello Kally smile

I give my kitties Stella & Chewy's freeze dried from time to time and they love it also!

If you mixed the whole package with water then I'd say it would keep covered in the fridge for a couple days (same as I would keep left over canned food). I haven't had any left overs yet but that would be how long I'd keep it for wink

The dried nuggets left in the bag will keep for quite awhile. I buy the large bags and keep them in the freezer to make them last even longer (dunno how long but I'd assume at least a year, perhaps a few!) Since I feed it as a treat or if I forgot to de-thaw something for dinner, I go through a bag slowly heh laugh out loud

Nice to see all the new flavors of Stella & Chewy's for cats! I was having to buy the Duck Duck Goose dog version which had veggies mixed in - now I can get it for cats without, yay!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by ♥Kally Kat♥, Aug 30 5:45 pm

Raw Food Diet > Feeder animals

Cinder

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 9:01am PST 
H Mart carries some good types of meat/organs - I get stuff there from time to time, including pork heart and lamb organs smile Organic is probably better, but it's too expensive and I figure if the regular meat is safe for people then it should be fine for my kitties (and 10 times better than what you'd find in most pet foods!)
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cinder, Aug 24 9:01 am

Cinder

Purred: Thu Aug 23, '12 6:42am PST 
Yeah the mice from Petco would be fine to try - that's where I got my beginning ones big grin They are VERY expensive compare to buying in bulk online though, so I only recommend them for a trial period!

Even after 2 years of raw feeding a couple of my kitties turn their noses up at chicken too, and they aren't picky about much! You may want to try boneless pork cut into small pieces, that was how I transitioned my last cat (instead of chicken). The other thing you could try also is a commercial brand of frozen raw. My guys like the Nature's Variety nuggets, which are balanced (meat, bones and organs) and come in a bunch of different flavors.

Whole prey is balanced in itself (correct amount of bone to meat and organs) so if you want to feed other raw as well some of it should also have a bit of bone so you keep the proper amount (~10% total). You'll notice your kitties poo becoming more white and crumbly if they have too bone, so you can then increase the amount of meat/organs to off set it smile
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Cinder, Aug 24 9:01 am

Cinder

Purred: Wed Aug 22, '12 6:17am PST 
Hello Luna!

I feel your pain when it comes to picky eaters as I have one of the pickiest ones you'll ever meet! laugh out loud

That said, when I first tried frozen feeder mice (de-thawed with warm water) with my 4 guys all of them were excited to eat them, even the picky guy wink I started with some pinkies (babies) and then moved on to the small adults (about a 1/2 ounce in weight) before going to bigger full grown adults (which can weigh over 2 ounces each).

All of my cats would eat the pinkies, but only 3 would eat the small mice (and 1 of those had to have it cut for her). Out of the 3 only 2 figured out how to crunch through the bigger mice (before I ran out of the small ones!). I still feed 1 of the kitties the big mice, but I do it only a few times a week for one meal each time. She's the smallest of the 4, around 8 lbs, so 1 x-large adult mouse (2 ounces) is a whole meal for her (she gets 4-5 ounces of raw a day since she's young and active).

You can try with just a few small mice and see how they go - it may take a few times for your cats to figure out how to crunch them up! I found that the smaller the better to start with so the kitties can fit most of the mouse in their mouths smile You shouldn't need any supplements with a whole prey diet as it's the model raw diet! The only issue I've had with feeding mice is when I fed the small ones for a whole meal (so 3 whole mice) or multiple meals of mice a day, a couple kitties would throw up hairballs. I'm not sure why, perhaps too much fur (it happens if I give whole ground rabbit with fur sometimes too) but I haven't read about that anywhere else confused

I haven't done any other whole prey except for x-small rats so I cant give any advice on other types. I ordered my mice from rodentpro.com (I need to place another order soon!) and Hare-Today offers the x-large adult mice also.

Partly off-topic - I've been feeding my VERY picky cat Cinder a mix of Nature's Variety canned with whole ground raw (from Hare-Today) and he's been excellent with it. I do about 1 oz canned and 1 oz raw and mix them together, and so far he hasn't been picky at all with it, and has been eating everything up! That might be another option for you to explore, even if its just for transitioning, if you're thinking about switching your fussy gang over to a raw diet big grin

Cinder recommends rabbit, pork and mutton (his favorite raw meats)... oh and he also looooves chunks of pork heart, which you may want to give a whirl - all my cats will scarf that up! It's second only to green tripe laugh out loud Just make sure to do one protein at time when introducing raw!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Cinder, Aug 24 9:01 am

Raw Food Diet > Ideas for a VERY Picky Eater?
Cinder

Purred: Sun Jul 22, '12 7:14am PST 
I wanted to give a final update in case others had similar issues to what I've had with Cinder!

He's been happily eating a mix of canned Nature's Variety with raw Hare-Today ground meats. I've been able to get him to eat (and keep down) raw ground rabbit, turkey, mutton/lamb and pork. He also gets boneless beef, pork and heart chunks to chew.

Cinder still can't handle N.V. or Bravo raw, but he can handle RadCat raw (lamb and turkey kinds). Not sure what is different between the raw N.V. and the canned, but for now as long as he is eating, keeping it down and getting a good variety of proteins I am happy! happy dance

Thank you again to everyone for your help and suggestions! It paid to re-try some items that he had thrown up previously since now he's eating them fine. He also just had his vet checkup (for rabies booster) and was deemed 100% healthy - both the vet and tech were amazed at how soft and shiny his fur is too laugh out loud
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by BK, Jul 23 4:49 pm

Cinder

Purred: Tue Jun 12, '12 6:34am PST 
Update -

Cinder has been doing great these past few weeks on a mix of N.V. canned and raw ground. He's been handling whole ground H-T rabbit, ground beef green tripe with spleen, and RadCat Lamb flavor with no issues at all. I've even gotten the raw portion to 75% with 25% canned happy dance He has boneless pork, beef, rabbit and heart (beef/pork) in between and some dehydrated pork liver, raw quail eggs, and goat's milk yogurt here and there also.

I just bought a chub of the Bravo Lamb to try, but unfortunately the store didn't have the plain meat one, so I had to get the meat/bone/organ mix which has a bit of veggies in it too (no added vitamins though). After a breakfast of it mixed with some Halo (didn't want to do N.V. in-case he threw up and then stopped eating it!) which he ate happily, he puked it all back up less than 15 minutes later cry

I've been trying to add only one new thing at a time, so now it's a quandary since it could be the lamb organs (he can handle the liver and heart in radcat though - so kidney?), or the raw veggies (squash, carrot and celery in this one) but N.V. canned has veggies in it too albeit cooked - or it could of been the Halo which he hasn't had in awhile, but he had eaten it fine before...

Then again, mixed into the puke was a hair ball and a rabbit rib - so the chunk of rabbit he stole from the other kitties last night had ribs in it (Didn't think he'd eat those whole!)... but he eats whole ground rabbit and ground rabbit bones no problem... he would of thrown those up last night if it was an issue though right? So back to square one!

I guess I'll try the Bravo again later with N.V. canned and hope for the best. Very puzzling what will and what won't stay down - but at least he's getting a little less picky!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by BK, Jul 23 4:49 pm

Raw Food Diet > Dehydrated Organs

Cinder

Purred: Thu May 24, '12 7:49am PST 
Good idea with the catnip! I hadn't thought of that before even though all the kitties enjoy eating it when I sprinkle it down as a treat smile

I don't mind dehydrating my own kidney - I did the liver and it was a bit stinky, but I left it in the bathroom with the fan running which cleared it out. The cats still sat outside with their noses stuck under the door inhaling the "sweet" smell of jerkified liver - one of them might of even been drooling laugh out loud

I'll be careful not to over-do it since they're more rich than the fresh stuff!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Munchkin, May 24 2:03 pm

Cinder

Purred: Mon May 21, '12 8:40am PST 
Thank you for the input, and sorry to hear about Egon's issues frown

That's definitely something to keep in mind, and if Cinder can't handle a balanced raw diet then I will have to move on to just canned options. I'd rather see him eat and be healthy then get sick on raw.

However he is doing well on a 50/50 diet, and actually his raw portion is more around 60% at this point. I'm taking it slowly, and as long as he's eating and digesting it fine (which he is so far, keeping fingers crossed!) we'll continue with what works.

Luckily he's not only handling whole ground raw rabbit, but enjoying it enough to lick his plate clean (only when mixed with canned, but still good!) He also seems to be less picky now about his chunk meats and is happily eating boneless pork, beef, lamb, rabbit and heart big grin

He still wont touch sardines though - finicky little thing!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by BK, Jul 23 4:49 pm

Cinder

Purred: Fri May 18, '12 7:34am PST 
Both H-T ground rabbit and RadCat Lamb have stayed down fine, but they have to be mixed with can food in at least a 50-50 ratio (he turned his nose up at both plain). I won't complain though! Last time he had the ground from H-T he threw it up, but I think it was rabbit mixed with chicken, so we'll be sure to keep poultry off the menu for Cinder smile I'm still trying to pin-point what he's sensitive to as there isn't an obvious pattern (except for poultry, but he doesn't like it anyways).

Also, as I mentioned in another post, I just used my new dehydrator to make some liver jerky for the kitties, and to my surprise Cinder went bonkers for the jerkified pork liver. I've never seen him so excited over organs before! Normally they get a snort and the cold shoulder, so I'm hoping this will be a way to get more organ into him, along with what's in the ground mixes!
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by BK, Jul 23 4:49 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.