Postings by Ryder & Jack

GO!

Food & Nutrition > Are fish flavors bad for cats?

Ryder & Jack

Purred: Thu Sep 27, '12 1:54pm PST 
I have read somewhere that you should limit giving your cat fish flavored foods to once a week or less. Ryder is a very finicky cat that will not eat wet food very often. He usually just snubs his nose at it. Unless it's fish flavored. He loves that. Would it be bad if I gave him a fish flavored wet food all the time since that is all he seems to like. I also feed both kitties Blue Buffalo dry and they both love that.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Ramsey, Sep 29 4:40 pm

Food & Nutrition > Kitten won't eat canned food
Ryder & Jack

Purred: Wed Feb 22, '12 9:13am PST 
The only reason that I thought that I would try some better foods is because I heard that all Purina products, including Fancy Feast, is junk. Even the Pro Plan kind. He likes the Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys Florentine - all flavors.

I have tried mixing it and he will not eat it that way either. He manages to pick around the new food. I guess i can keep at it and hope that he will eat it one day.

I have never head of Eagle Pack. I'll have to give that a try.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Mar 28 7:10 pm

Food & Nutrition > Kitten won't eat canned food

Ryder & Jack

Purred: Tue Feb 21, '12 9:10am PST 
I had another thread about trying to get my kittens to eat a healthier food. One of my babies, Jack, will eat anything. Ryder, however, won't. I've tried everything and he just won't eat it. He is tiny for his age anyway - he is only about 4 1/2 pounds. I took him to the vet a few weeks ago and they didn't seem worried about that and said he was healthy.

My question is this. He will eat Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys canned food. He loves that one and won't touch anything else I am giving him. Should I just feed him this since it is the only canned food he will eat, even though it is not a very good canned food? And it is not really for kittens? I also supplement him with dry and he eats Natural Balance.

Update: I just remembered that he will also eat Purina Pro Plan Kitten, so that is better than Fancy Feast, but i was hoping to get him away from the Purina Products frown
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Mar 28 7:10 pm

Food & Nutrition > Getting 2 kittens to eat the same healthy food

Ryder & Jack

Purred: Mon Feb 20, '12 7:59am PST 
I have not had any luck with getting Ryder to eat much canned food. He still just licks it mostly. I tried the water and that has helped as he doesn't just walk away, but he won't actually eat much. I guess I will keep trying and see if he eventually will eat more. He likes the flavors. This is so frustrating because I want what is best for my baby.

I picked up some more brands at Petco. The one he seems to lick the most is Nature's Variety Instinct.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ryder & Jack, Feb 20 7:59 am

Ryder & Jack

Purred: Fri Feb 17, '12 9:28am PST 
Ryder ate a little bit more of it today, but i really think it's the texture he does not like. Maybe adding the water will help. So far, won't eat much of anything pate, no matter what brand, but loves chunks.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ryder & Jack, Feb 20 7:59 am

Ryder & Jack

Purred: Thu Feb 16, '12 10:39am PST 
You know, I was not mixing it with his current food. I might try that and see if I can convert him over. It might be the texture since the kinds he likes are more like chunks with sauce where these are pate. I think he likes the flavor because he will lick the bowl after his brother eats the food.

I found a store near me that sells EVO and some of the other good brands, so I will get a few cans of those this weekend and try those out too. I am hoping to find a couple that both of them like.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Ryder & Jack, Feb 20 7:59 am

Ryder & Jack

Purred: Thu Feb 16, '12 9:37am PST 
I have two new kittens that I adopted from the shelter. They were on cheap kitten chow dry food at the shelter. I am trying to get them to eat can food. I was giving them some fancy feast and they both loved that, but i want them to eat something that is better for them. After research I chose Blue Wilderness Kitten and Wellness Kitten to try out. Those are the only ones that seem recommended that I can find at my PetSmart. One of my kittens will eat both of those, the other one takes 2 bites and walks away from both. He unfortunatley loved the cheap stuff confused

My question is: Do continue to try to give it to him and see if he eventually will eat it, or do i have to just try some other brand?

Another question? Do you have to feed kittens kitten food? My boys are 4mos and 6mos.

What other brands should I try? I might have to go find another pet supply store to find other brands of food since Petsmart doesn't carry all of them.
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Ryder & Jack, Feb 20 7:59 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.