Postings by Ravage

GO!

Behavior & Training > NEVER adopt a declawed cat (?)

Ravage

Purred: Tue Feb 7, '12 6:08am PST 
Working in a shelter environment, I have definitely noticed high surrender rates of declawed cats, with consistent references to inappropriate urination or biting. I do not feel that it makes these cats unadoptable, nor that this should discourage adopting declawed animals, however; it simply means that the new owner needs to be educated on some of the problems associated with declawing, and know how to control and modify these behaviors.

Declawed paws ARE mutilated paws, period; many declawed cats, especially as they age or if they are overweight, need some manner of pain management to deal with the effect that walking abnormally has on their joints. Much of the biting, in my opinion, is less that the animal feels it has no defense and more that they are chronically uncomfortable. I have seen simple weight loss and pain management work wonders on declawed cats with bite histories.

Similarly, while inappropriate urination may be more common in declawed cats, it is often simply a matter of finding a litter that is more comfortable for them to use, and also working on the problem behavior instead of simply throwing one's hands up and assuming it is hopeless.

I had a customer who was contemplating having her geriatric declawed cat euthanized due to inappropriate urination after the addition of carpet to the household. I asked a barrage of questions about the cat's health and changes to the household environment; while a vet had thoroughly examined the cat for kidney and urinary problems, he didn't consider pain management for an animal that, at her age and being declawed, probably had arthritis. Considering that the carpet may have been a more comfortable surface to stand and make waste on, I suggested they try some pain and joint supplements - and recently heard back that this paired with behavior modification had stopped the inappropriate urination.
[notify]

» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Alfie - Angel DB#14, Mar 18 10:51 am

Behavior & Training > My two cats flip out at feeding time, but why?
Ravage

Purred: Fri Jan 27, '12 9:09pm PST 
My cats are the same way; one was a kitten from the tornadoes that ravaged Alabama last spring, and the other was a stray. They go aggressively insane every feeding time despite being a great body condition and getting a combination of Orijen, grain-free canned, and supplemental raw. They have beautiful coats and perfect body condition, but they are just psycho about food and also steal and eat ANY food they can find - not just meat, but bread, bird seed, fruit, you name it. It is driving me insane, so I'm interested to see if anyone has answers.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Baron, Feb 28 5:15 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.