Postings by James

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Cat Health > Mommy thinks I have tapeworms :(
James

I may be small,- but I'm scrappy.

Purred: Wed Jul 31, '13 9:28pm PST 
I was meowing because I was hungry and my mom went to feed me and in my happy state I lifted up my tail and she saw something that looked like a grain of rice near my bum. She picked at it and it was moving!
She is triple worried because I have a big brother and a new tiny human sister (who is now crawling to get to me, but I'm too scared to let her near me).

Besides call the vet to get me and my big brother checked out by our vet, and clean out our litter box (which daddy cleans out every night and changes once a week), what else can she do? Do all linens need to be striped and washed?

Thanks!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bijoux, Aug 2 8:45 pm

Behavior & Training > Russian Blue Behavior? Talkative?
James

Purred: Tue Jun 19, '12 11:41pm PST 
Oh wow, you just described me! I was adopted from a shelter and my mom picked me because she wanted another gray cat.

I like to talk...a lot and I also purr all the time! My big brother is all gray, but very quiet. I'm all gray too, but smaller than my big brother and my tail is a bit stripy. Mom doesn't think I will get much bigger. She doesn't think I'm part Russian Blue, mostly because my eyes are yellow, not green like my brother's. She wonders if I might be a Siamese mix instead.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Daniel, Aug 30 5:53 pm

Kitten Corner > Bringing new Kitten Home 3/29

James

Purred: Tue Mar 13, '12 10:48am PST 
Aww she is a cutie.

You might feel bad shutting her away, but the other purpose of separation is to also make the new addition feel safe. Plus, do you really know how your other cat will react to a new little kitten? She may be easy going, but this is a new "kid" encroaching on her territory. And you don't have to have her separated for that long a time, as long as she has been checked out by a vet and given the all clear to be exposed to your other cat.

Is there another room you an have her in too, besids the master bath? It might be tight in there for playtime.

Good luck
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Alfie - Angel DB#14, Mar 14 2:26 pm

Behavior & Training > 4 months and still biting/attacking hands..

James

Purred: Tue Mar 6, '12 10:30am PST 
It does hurt when they play with you with their teeth. I made this mistake with our first cat, Jack. I was determined to not repeat myself with James.

We had to have him separated from Jack for a month and half and often times I was the only one in there playing with him.

I had read somewhere that gently scruffing them by the neck and saying "No" might help them, but I thought that was too physical. I didn't want to use a spray bottle and sometimes just saying "Ow" and "No" didn't suffice. So when he would attack my hand, arms or feet with teeth...I'd hiss at him...and it worked. He is 6months now and knows not to attack me with teeth.

Also when she gets bitey, I heard that distracting with a toy helps.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Tia, Mar 9 3:26 am

Behavior & Training > Getting discouraged - new kitten, resident cat introductions

James

Purred: Mon Feb 27, '12 12:56pm PST 
I'm starting to get a bit discouraged. I know it's only been a week, but I really thought James (kitten) and Jack (cat) were stating to get along.

We had to go away for a few days, so I put James back in his room for the two days that we were gone. My mom came to check in on them and to let James out of his room. She said they were angels, playing and stuff, and getting along. When we got home the next day, they were great, but started wrestling/fighting within 20 minutes of our arrival.

The next day they were fighting...a lot. Nothing really harsh, not at all like hearing street cats fight. But James (kitten) would vocalize a bit, Jack (cat) would hiss.

I separated both to cool off. I put James in his room to eat, which left Jack able to sleep.

One thing that I've noticed is that James is territorial with his toys. Jack is territoral with food...all food. He won't even let James eat his own food, in his own room. I've had to close the door to the room James is in just so he can eat.

I'm trying to engage them both in play, but once James joins in, Jack has no interest in playing anymore. James takes over and growls at Jack with the toy in his mouth.

Also, was it okay to give James toys Jack has never touched or played with?

I think what I'm concerned with is Jack thinking that I've "betrayed" him, or that I favor the new kitten over him. Twice he's attacked me because he thought I was interfering during a wrestling session with James (I was just following the noise. I wasn't even attempting to get near them.)

Please help me. This meowma is discouraged.
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Oct 30 1:58 pm

Behavior & Training > Reintroducing cat to new kitten
James

Purred: Sun Feb 19, '12 1:40pm PST 
Day 2: Things are still developing.
There was a fairly interesting altercation between the two this morning. I didn't intervene, I just watched. James (kitten) didn't look to be in any immediate danger. If anything it looked like he was antagonizing Jack (older cat). Whatever "problem" they had it seemed to be settled. I'm kind of unsure what "fights" to breakup and which ones to leave alone since I'm sure some of this is normal.

For added comfort (for me) I bought the Feliway diffuser. Right now I'm just concerned everytime Jack (older cat) goes into the 2nd bedroom where James'(kitten) food is, he won't let him eat. I haven't seen this first hand, its just a fear I have.

Am I doing everything right so far?

When we leave we keep the little one in the 2nd bedroom and bring him out when we are home.

Am I being to clueless, hopeful, naive that I hope they can get along without supervision by this Tuesday?
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Leo, Feb 21 6:20 am

Food & Nutrition > Transitioning 4 mo old kitten to new food

James

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 12:51pm PST 
I know how to transition a cat/kitten to new food, as I've had to do this to Jack a few times. My questions is what if I don't have enough of the old food to make the transition last a week.

We started the transition on Friday and this afternoon I ran out of the old food. Will James be okay after only 3 1/2 days of the mixed old and new food?
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jack, Jan 23 1:21 pm

Food & Nutrition > Do you or did you ever feed Purina products, and have an issue?

James

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 12:31pm PST 
I'm not really sure if this is an issue with the Purina food itself, or if James just has a sensitive tummy, or if the worms (G-rdia) have returned. We have had him for 3 weeks and his stool has yet to solidify. The vet recommended we switch to Science Diet or Royal Canin.

We didn't have a problem with Kitten Chow 6 years ago when Jack was a kitten and figured it would be good enough for James...apparently not.

Last Friday we gradually started to make the switch to Royal Canin. And by the looks of it, my newest little boy will eat anything.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by James, Jan 23 12:31 pm

Kitten Corner > I feel like a mean mom!

James

Purred: Sun Jan 22, '12 9:56pm PST 
I have to do the same thing with our new kitten James. We adopted him 3 weeks ago from the shelter and later learned that he had ringworm frown And since I don't want to have to bathe an adult cat, we have to keep him further separated from our Jack. (The vet now says end of Feb, we can expose them.)

I too feel bad for having to keep James in the room by himself, but I do go in there frequently and play with him, cuddle and just sit with him. Jack is the one that gets jealous, paws and meows at the door if he feels I've been in there too long.

I think its good that you have provided your kitten with a safe room especially since she is in a new environment. Good luck with your new kitty.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Benjamin, Jan 23 7:48 pm

Kitten Corner > Help! I have to bathe my kitten...vet's orders.
James

Purred: Sat Jan 7, '12 8:05pm PST 
Thanks for all the great advice. I'm not sure why I was freaking out. James was extremely patient when we bathed him. Sure, he squirmed and freaked out a bit, but he only yowled once and that was it. I think he succumbed to his fate.

The shampoo for ringworm is you can't dilute it, and you have to have the shampoo soak into the skin for 5-10 minutes, so after lathering him up I wrapped him in a towel and I just talked to him and told him how brave he was. All the while he was sat there in my arms, not making a sound.

He fought a bit when it came time to rinse him. I made sure the water was just right for him and rinsed with a cup. We wrapped him up in a big fluffy towel and he stayed still as I held him.

I think the reason I was freaking out is because Jack (the big brother) is not so patient. James is extremely patient (fingers crossed for next week).

Thanks for being so helpful smile I'm so blessed to have James and so glad we were given the opportunity to rescue him. He is an extra treasure.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 8 3:15 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.