GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Cat Health > I have feline herpes, it safe for me to visit the groomers?
Flossie!

40% fur 60%- attitude

Purred: Tue Dec 25, '12 12:42am PST 
Thanks for your advice Amber! Flossie was on antiviral eye drops for a while after her first infection. We (the vet and I) had a good 6 months of trying various things on her eye, and in the end, we found a solution that worked best and didn't involve the eye drops- once I took her off the drops she stopped squinting. Her bedding is my bedding, and since I am also alergic to her, this gets changed and sterilized every other day. Her litter box is the thing she is most sensitive to, if I don't scoop it twice a day she gets cranky, and of course, cranky makes the eyes worse. I'm not so much worried about her eyes at this point (because they are generally good) as I am about making other cats sick, and still keeping her coat as comfortable as possible. I do bleach my hands when I go to my mom's for visits, and change into Flossie free clothes so that I don't get her Oscar sick.

I recently took Flossie to a special kitty vet who gave me some advice on how to keep her fur nice- aside from being some kind of Himmy cross, we also live in Edmonton Alberta, where it can be -20 degrees celcius for up to 6 months per year, so even though she is an indoor only gal, the static is just crazy, and keeps every shed underhair right in there tight. I feel so sorry for her, we condition, we brush, rake the undercoat, but I still come home from work every day to find a new matt frown. Do you know if there are special groomers who will help with a herpes kitty? Do you know of any resources for an owner to learn grooming? Thanks again for your help Amber, Flossie is very healthy now overall, I just need help with this grooming.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mac's Cat , Dec 27 9:24 pm

Domestic Long Hair > Best grooming product EVER!!!
Flossie!

40% fur 60%- attitude

Purred: Sat Dec 15, '12 1:35am PST 
I recently took my baby to a nearby kitty clinic, and they taught me how to groom her properly. I have been posting questions on here for over a year about how to care for my Flossie's freakishly (4.5 inches) long fur. She is a lovely kitty, but screams and runs away when I try to comb her, and in her case brushing is NOT enough. Since we are all domestic long hair kitty owners, and don't have access to the groom-training offered by breeders of long haired kittens, I think it may be helpful for you to know about this comb. smile

It's called an undercoat rake...It was developed by people who breed German Shepherds. BUT the great thing about this product is that it removes all of that dead undercoat that causes matts without scratching their skin, or pulling too much.

Miss Flossie loves it as much as her slicker brush, and I get lumps of fur the size of baseballs out of her daily. No more matts, and a happy schmoozie kitty throughout. It's tefflon coated, so tuggs less than the comb. Everyone with some kind of Himmie descendant should really try to find this!

Best wishes to all the fluffy kitties out there!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 15 1:35 am

Flossie!

40% fur 60%- attitude

Purred: Sat Nov 10, '12 1:40am PST 
Hi All,

Thanks to those of you who posted! Herpes is super contagious to other kitties, and as such I was as honest as possible with the groomers I contacted.

It was so impossible for me to find a groomer who would help that I conned my vet into giving her a buzz cut under the impedus that her level of discomfort was decreasing her quality of life. It was expensive, and they said there was no option but to give her a lion cut even though the mats were all around her front legs.

Many vets might not do this unless you argue with them about the increase in stress that having mats may place on the kitty (thus increasing the frequency and severity of corneal ulcers), but once I got her buzzed (in a safe environment where I know that they are going to sterilize EVERYTHING, and am sure no other kitty cats are going to get sick)she was more happy, spunky and rambunctious than I had seen her in months. It's really sad to have such a nice kitty who plays for a minute or two then falls over because she is so sore frown.

I know that the responsability falls on me as a pet owner to keep her fur intact, but when I comb that one part of her chest she cries, claws, bites like her life depends on it- or like it's a game smile. To put it frankly, I am a good pet owner, who is very used to long haired cats, put into a bad position by my lovely kitten's quirks.

To anyone who finds this thread, the answer is YES, TELL YOUR GROOMER, and if you can't find a competent groomer TELL YOUR VET. You may end up with a little extra expense in the long run, but at least you will be able to sleep at night knowing you didn't make other people's treasured pets sick. I am wondering now if better education for groomers might be a good idea.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Mac's Cat , Dec 27 9:24 pm

Flossie!

40% fur 60%- attitude

Purred: Wed May 2, '12 7:05pm PST 
Thanks everybody for the information! Flossie is definitely a virus shedder, she has a flat little face, and getting her herpes under control is still a work in progress. I decided to forego the groomers just to be safe, I did talk to my wonderful vet though, and she has agreed to shave her mats (she has been seeing Flossie since before I rescued her and is pretty fond of the little nut). This makes me feel alot safer, since they know for sure how to keep things sterile and safe for the other kitties!
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Mac's Cat , Dec 27 9:24 pm

Flossie!

40% fur 60%- attitude

Purred: Sun Apr 29, '12 1:36am PST 
Yes, I give her lysine daily. She no longer presents any of the URI symptoms, but the conjunctivitis in her right eye has never fully cleared up- it gets worse any time something weird happens like getting uncomfortable mats on her chest frown. I remember being told that if she sneezed around a cat that was not vaccinated, that the cat could get sick. I'm not sure if her fur would also be contaminated because she licks it all the time? Thank you for your help! I will definitely check with the vet too smile
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Mac's Cat , Dec 27 9:24 pm

Flossie!

40% fur 60%- attitude

Purred: Fri Apr 27, '12 3:05pm PST 
Hi everybody,

This has been a bit of a rough shedding season for Flossie and I, her freaky long fur has taken me a little while to get used to grooming properly, and she has a few matts that need tending to. This shouldn't be a problem except Flossie has feline herpes virus. She no longer sneezes, but her eyes still get weepy on occasion. Is it safe for me to take her to the groomers, or will it make other kitties there sick? I really want these uncomfortable matts off, but not if it means giving other kitties herpes. Are there any alternatives to a groomer (will some vets do this) ?
[notify]

» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Mac's Cat , Dec 27 9:24 pm

Grooming > Long hair tips - matting - (plus gravol question...)

Flossie!

40% fur 60%- attitude

Purred: Fri Mar 9, '12 7:25pm PST 
Hi again!
Here is a link to a page that sells them: www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3330

I agree with bumpurr, food makes a huge difference. I feed Flossie Wellness, which is grain free, her coat is still a little coarse but she also takes lysine supplements, and a grainy dry vet food.
My mom has had great luck with her Maine Coon and feeding him Holistic Selects. She said within 6 months he was sleek, shiny, and mat free. He has also lived 5 years longer than any cat she has had before, and at 15 runs around like a kitten. I'm not saying it is just the food doing it, but I'm sure it helps!
I have another tip too. you may have noticed I asked a grooming question about Flossie's insanely long fur in this forum, so I figure as I learn the ropes I can share with you. smile

If your friend is willing you could find a groomer who will let you watch while they groom him. I did this last weekend, they were able to show me how to comb the Floss monster, recommended some new tools for intermittent loose hair removal, and then showed me how to use them. It was invaluable, and because I was "helping" they gave me a discount!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 9 7:25 pm

Grooming > Long hair tips - matting - (plus gravol question...)

Flossie!

40% fur 60%- attitude

Purred: Fri Mar 2, '12 7:32pm PST 
He's so fluffy and cute! Do they give him any kind of regular grooming aside from the trip to the groomers? Is he an old fellow? That coat is definitely more than 1 cat can handle solo! A dematting brush could help. It consists of flat curved pieces of metal that are about the same shape as a cats claws. The thick part at the top has a blade on the inside edge that is protected from cutting kitty's skin by the lower pointier part that also pulls the mat away from their skin. These brushes rule! The only problem is they are a long term fix, You would have to work away at them daily (preferably during a lap nap, and with a special grooming treat at hand ready for when he gets fed up smile )
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Mar 9 7:25 pm

Grooming > My winter coat is 4 inches long...help?

Flossie!

40% fur 60%- attitude

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 8:53pm PST 
It's a comb for dogs, I think it's called a puppy and toy comb. It's little! I bought it because it fits between her front legs smile
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 1 8:53 pm

Grooming > My winter coat is 4 inches long...help?
Flossie!

40% fur 60%- attitude

Purred: Wed Feb 29, '12 2:16am PST 
Hi there! My lovely Flossie is almost 8 months old. The fur on her back, scruff and tail is almost 4" long and super thick/downy. I have had a lot of medium to long haired cats, but this is crazy! She gets brushed once per day (which she loves), and combed once per day(which she hates!!). She is super rambunctious, and combing this crazy long fur is not only difficult to do, it really hurts her- especially by her tail. The combing is absolutely necessary now that her fur has filled out, but she squirms and bites and runs away. Does anyone out there have a super long haired kitty? How can I make the combing less awful and more like brushing ( happy mush time with mom)? Any tips?

Thanks everybody,

Flossie's mom
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 1 8:53 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.