Postings by Gypsy

GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Cats and a Clean Home > Anyone think "clicker training" can help with erratic bathroom behaviour
Gypsy

Purred: Sat Feb 23, '13 12:18am PST 
I'm not referring back to you other post, but I did implement a plastic pee-n-slide this weekend.

Gypsy's box is on the floor of a tiny linen closet. I basically took out the bottom drawer and staple gunned heavy black vinyl to the brackets the wood shelves on, then replaced the shelf.

Re-insert litter box, making sure the new black pee curtain went over the lip of box into the box. Then some trimming with scissors, and I probably have about what you're talking about.

It's the bf's job to remove the litter box and clean back there from before the curtain was installed sometime.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Gypsy, Feb 23 12:18 am

Raw Food Diet > Raw "pill pockets"
Gypsy

Purred: Sat Feb 23, '13 12:06am PST 
FortiFlora has made pilling our cat a breeze

I'd recommend anyone having trouble pilling their cats give it a try

Make kibble-sized bits of pill completely contained in pill pocket. (You might need to cut you pill in quarters or something to get the wrapped pills so small) you want them to be gulped or swallowed whole, not chewed

Then roll in fortiflora powder

Most cats will take these

If they're still chewing and finding the pill inside,then start with areal treat, just as they start to eat, put down the pill pocket on the floor, so they just swallow the first treat to get to the second one. Of course the second one is the pill pocket, and as soon as your cat starts eating, set a third real treat on the floor. Hopefully she just swallows the pill pocket so she can get to the third treat

I tried cheese and pill pockets and pilling and pill guns and compounding medications, and it was all hell for cat and me till I found the fortiflora.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, Feb 28 10:07 pm

Gypsy

Purred: Mon Feb 18, '13 11:10am PST 
If your pills are large, you may have to cut them up several times to use this technique.
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, Feb 28 10:07 pm

Gypsy

Purred: Mon Feb 18, '13 11:07am PST 
Here's my method:

1. Purchase FortiFloria made by Purina. It's a little good gut bacteria in powder form, coated in the yummy taste that gets cats addicted to dry food.

2. Purchase pill pockets. I'd get chicken flavor for dogs if they make them, because my cat prefers chicken, and you get more for your money's worth with the dog pill pockets.

3. Pinch off a tiny tiny picece of the pill pocket -- think like you're playing with Play-doh or something. Certainly do NOT use the entire pocket. Depending upon the size of the pill, I take a ball of pill pocket maybe the size of a pea at largest -- ie the size of a kibble at biggest.

4. Smooth the pill pocket you've pinchef off flat, wrap the pill in there, and make sure it's well covered.

5. Roll the pill pocket (now with pill) until coated in forti flora powder.

At this point, your cat may take it. If your cat knows a trick, then do the trick and then give the pocket as a reward.

If your cat still won't go for it, get out two "normal" treats. A little bit of freeze dried chicken or freeze dried shrimp. Whatever it it, it better be yummy.

Put the first, yummiest treat on the floor right in front of your cat.

Right as your cat STARTS eating it, put the pill pocket next in line.

Right as your cat STARTS eating the pill pocket, put the last treat in line.

The trick is the cat sees there's another goodie right there, so they just swallow those pieces whole.
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, Feb 28 10:07 pm

Food & Nutrition > Cat Grass

Gypsy

Purred: Sun Feb 17, '13 9:07am PST 
Inside the house, we only have one place that might get enough light to grow cat grass. That having been said, the cats would access to it when it's just dirt, when it's seedlings that haven't taken root yet, and it'd probably never make it to actual grass stage.

I'm contemplating a hanging planter that raises and lowers, and using that inside to grow the grass until it's old enough to survive cats. If one works, then I could get another and always have one in rotation.

Any pots outside are sure to get ants as residents, so even when it warms up a bit outside, I'm not sure how useful trying to grow cat grass outside would be.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ebony, Feb 27 9:19 am

Cats and a Clean Home > Anyone think "clicker training" can help with erratic bathroom behaviour
Gypsy

Purred: Sun Feb 17, '13 8:14am PST 
gypsy uses the box just fine, but sometimes after she digs, when she start to pee, her butt goes up (just like elevator butt).

If I'm there, I'll hold her bum down, and she doesn't seem to mind. If I'm not there, she overshoots the high-sided litterbox some before she makes it back into the box. And then she digs forever trying to cover up the smell.

Other times when I'm scooping, there's nice little round blobs of scoopable pee, so I know she's remaining squatting the whole time sometimes at least.

(I think it might be related to how long she's holding it, but don't want to really get into that part of it here)

I'm clicker training her for other things. She knows "sit", "high five!", and "speak."

Do you think if I kept a clicker nearby and she got a click following by a treat when she remained seated for the entire performance, it would help?

There's be no punishment if she started to lift her butt, but no click afterwards either.

She's already using the box well, I certainly wouldn't want to try an experiment that started her eliminating in appropriate places because I was bugging her in the bathroom.

(she's certainly not pee shy, though. She's most likely to go when she notices me scooping)

Thanks.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Gypsy, Feb 23 12:18 am

Behavior & Training > Proper correction techniques for a 16 month old cat

Gypsy

Purred: Sun Feb 17, '13 8:01am PST 
Gypsy occasionally gets in a snippy attitude, and gets this "I'm having the last word!" look to her. This usually mean her head is down, she's circling me, and she eventually comes in for a bite. She's not breaking the skin or anything, but it seems she's definitely try to tell me that's she's the boss of me.

If I notice the behaviour building, I'll warn her against it, but if she comes in for a nip anyway, I do either one of the following.

1. throw her in the bathroom for a 5 minute timeout

2. scruff her and hold her firmly down so can't move.

With either method she expresses her displasure.

With the timeout, it's louder and louder meows.

With the holding her immobile, it's more of a low combination between a meow and yowl, but not a growl. It doesn't sound like she's saying "that hurts!", but more she doesn't like it and doesn't want it to continue.

For time outs, she gets freedom after about 5 minutes, provided she's not still acting up.

For the holding her tight method, she gets released as soon as she's not struggling or yowling.

Gypsy is still a teenager, and she's a very muscular, very active breed.

I don't want to hurt her, but I also need her to know that I'm the momcat in this relationship.

Comments?
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Buddha, Feb 19 2:01 am

Cat Health > Infected incision... I'm so worried

Gypsy

Purred: Sat Feb 9, '13 6:55am PST 
I apologize for not thoroughly reading the thread, but two things came to mind.

1. Everything I've ever read said you can use Neosporin sparingly, but only if it does NOT have pain relievers. Typically the ointment is used very sparingly, as having a bunch of petroleum jelly on an already aggravated spot is going to make you want to groom it more, rather than leaving it alone to heal.

2. Bitter Apple Spray can be used to keep cats from licking wounds. Don't apply it to the injury itself, just to the sides.

(I held up a piece of grapefruit peel to my cat the other day and she acted like I attacked her. So you might just buy a grapefruit, get some of the oils from the skin, and use that as a topical to keep your baby from overgrooming healing spots.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Spot (Striped Seven), Feb 12 10:24 pm

Raw Food Diet > Survey: How to prepare chicken gizzards for cats

Gypsy

Purred: Sat Feb 9, '13 6:42am PST 
You named your kitty Farty???

I've been trying to encourage my partner to use good adjectives about our cat, with the hope that she'll rise to the occasion. "Hateful", "Mean", "Booger" although I'm not sure what "Booger" means other than a sticky blob on the end of a five-year old's finger, don't seem helpful to me.

I prefer to call her "Clever", "Smart", "Good girl", "Pretty", etc.

Do you (as in you, all the kitty owners in the world) give your kittens "positive" or "negative" names?

I know this is in the wrong Form Home, but I'm not sure what to do about that now.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Aloo, Feb 9 5:29 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > No warning from Litter Genie bags!
Gypsy

Purred: Wed Feb 6, '13 1:18pm PST 
I love my litter locker 2, but the cartridges are small.

I've seen for sale on amazon the refill plastic bag material. I haven't tried it, but the idea is that you keep a couple of your empty cartridges, and then take this bagging material and stuff it back up into the cartridge.

It sounds like it would be difficult, but commenters say you get the hang of it after doing it once or twice.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Tia, Feb 15 10:55 pm

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.