Postings by Toby

GO!

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Would this be acceptable?

Toby

Purred: Wed Mar 7, '12 12:14pm PST 
All my guys are Craigslist kitties - no fees. They are beyond spoiled. shrug
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Abigail, Apr 23 6:35 pm

Food & Nutrition > Another Reason *not* to feed foodies with grains in them, more recalls
Toby

Purred: Fri Dec 30, '11 9:43am PST 
Totally agree, this is a great reason. The only grain-inclusive food I give my guys is the very occasional Castor and Pollux dry meal, but only because they love it so much.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Toby, Dec 30 9:43 am

Raw Food Diet > How much do you spend on food?

Toby

Purred: Thu Dec 29, '11 6:55am PST 
Well, my situation is a tad complicated - my oldest cat will plain not eat raw. He eats dry and wet, so I get him a 5 pound bag of a premium grain-free dry brand (a HUGE step up from what he was eating before I adopted him) and some cans of high-quality wet. Now, just HIS food costs more than the raw I feed to the other two cats (although it takes him almost a month and a half to get through a whole bag of the dry)- about $40-50 a month to feed him depending on the cost of the wet food that month.

I use a cheaper-than-average regional raw pet food company to feed my other two, and they both cost me roughly $5 a week to feed.
[notify]

» There has since been 31 posts. Last posting by bed Snatchers, Feb 11 5:15 pm

Raw Food Diet > Need advice on feeding amounts

Toby

Purred: Wed Dec 28, '11 12:16pm PST 
Cool. Well, good luck and I hope your kitties like it. Mine went nuts when I switched from NV! It's probably the blood....BRB is pretty aromatic. laugh out loud
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 28 2:03 pm

Toby

Purred: Wed Dec 28, '11 11:58am PST 
LOL- well, just be aware they are not yet AAFCO certified, although they informed me that they were working towards it. How much are the NV coupons for? Just curious. kitty
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 28 2:03 pm

Toby

Purred: Wed Dec 28, '11 11:27am PST 
Thanks Shade, I'll just do that then. smile

Samantha, it's a great deal! NV was breaking the bank until I found this stuff, and they love it!
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 28 2:03 pm

Toby

Purred: Wed Dec 28, '11 11:00am PST 
You should! It's a great value! smile They make chicken and rabbit tubes too.

And it's okay. I'll just feed whenever he starts wanting food I guess. kitty
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Dec 28 2:03 pm

Toby

Purred: Wed Dec 28, '11 8:38am PST 
Out of my three cats, only Gummi (8 months) and Robin (4 months) will eat raw. Since they are both still kittens, I'm wary of limiting their meals by their body weight. Really, only Robin eats like he's starving to death all the time (of course, we found him wandering out in the sticks when he was 8 weeks so that might have something to do with it).

I'm still pretty new to raw feeding in general, so what's a good amount to give them per day? I give them Blue Ridge Beef, a regional raw pet food producer (it's only $3 for 2 pounds!). I give them the Kitten Grind and Natural Mix. Gummi is about 7 pounds and Robin is about 5.

I want to make sure I'm giving them enough to eat, especially Robin. frown Help! red face
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Dec 28 2:03 pm

Food & Nutrition > Guidance for a cheaper wet food?

Toby

Purred: Mon Dec 12, '11 3:26pm PST 
Authority brand canned food (only at PetSmart) - get the cuts in gravy. Save for the wheat gluten (near the bottom of the list), the ingredients are excellent considering it's 75 cents a 6 ounce can. My cats love it, and it's a huge step above Friskies. No artificial colors or by-products (except for some brewer's rice, but there is hardly in there whenever I open a can). The chunk consistency is identical to Wellness.

Chicken Broth, Chicken, Chicken Liver, Turkey, Wheat Gluten, Food starch Rice, Dried Egg White, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Brewers Dried Yeast, Vitamin
[notify]

» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Daisy Angel, Jan 23 6:52 am

Laws & Legislation > PET INSURANCE DOESN'T INSURE CARE
Toby

Purred: Sat Nov 5, '11 3:09pm PST 
I am sincerely sorry Nicky is gone. frown

However, I humbly disagree with your idea. To make pet insurance just like human insurance will make things worse. It will drive up costs for the uninsured, it will drive up costs for premiums, and even worse, it will likely cause many vets to refuse to accept insurance. The hassle of billing insurance directly from the vets WILL increase overhead for the vet, as they will need to accommodate that request from the client. The insurance company will play the same games as they do with human doctors, and even more health care decisions will be out of your hands and into a company's bottom line. Additionally, NO pet insurance pays upfront, all of them require you pay and submit the receipt for reimbursement. In the pet insurance industry, this is standard, and not a surprise.

I'm sorry but what you propose is asking for trouble, and as someone who already has affordable insurance for her pets, cannot get behind this idea.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Smokie Boo Dreamboat #104b, Nov 7 1:58 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.