Postings by Blackberry

GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Cat Health > New here - PLS help! Cat diagnosed w/Stg 2 Leukemia today. I'm beside myself! Do I put him to sleep?
Blackberry

Somewhere there- is love for- everyone

Purred: Sun Sep 15, '13 7:10am PST 
Hi there, I am very sorry for you having to post about this. It is very difficult and sad having to deal with something like this.

I am far from an expert on FeLV. Did the vet not explain anything to you? You are allowed to find another vet for a second opinion. Did the vet actually send out blood to be tested for FeLV? I would also call back and ask for a full explanation of the blood work results; ideally she should have given you a copy and you are allowed to ask to see them. Your vet should be interested in saving your pet, not quick to put him down without even explaining the situation thoroughly to you. If she really feels that your cat can't be saved, then she should still seem totally involved and be at least somewhat compassionate about the situation.

A good question to ask yourself when you are considering euthanising an animal is does he have any quality of like left? Does he eat, does he purr when you rub him? Does he seem like he is in pain most of the time?

You said that he eats his wet food, not the dry. Ditch the dry, it's bad for cats anyway and let him eat any canned food that he likes. Has he lost a lot of weight? Will he eat any treats?

He is very young, and may not be able to be saved, but if you at all feel unsure of euthanising him at this point, then you should explore seeking out a different vet. Also, there are anti-viral medications out there for cats. I don't know how effective they are onf FeLV though.

Good luck to you and Billy!

BB's mom
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Mikko, Sep 15 2:00 pm

Cat Health > Cat acting worse after force feeding
Blackberry

Purred: Thu Jun 13, '13 4:11am PST 
It's ok for a total emergency, but please get your cat off the exclusive tuna and deli turkey diet. Please read this about tuna: http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-expert-poison-c ontrol/canned-tuna.aspx

Additionally, never feed a cat tuna packed in oil. Tuna packed in oil may cause an disease called steatitis, or yellow fat disease, which involves inflammation of the fatty tissue under the skin. Read this: http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/endocrine/c_ct_steatitis#.Ubmlse c3uew

To tempt your cat to eat cat food again, you can try pouring some water from tuna packed in WATER over the food causing it to smell like tuna. Can you get bonito flakes (pet stores or Asian markets)? They smell very fishy and you could try putting them on top of canned food of any flavor to get him to try it.

As you suspect, your cat is eating a very unbalanced diet at the momment. You have to try really hard to get some actual cat food into him. Not that it's great, but have you tried any of the more fish based canned cat foods to start switching him back over to cat food?

Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Church, Jul 7 1:00 am

Cat Health > Possible FIP- In need of Advice & Low Cost Vet

Blackberry

Purred: Mon Jun 10, '13 11:02am PST 
Distended belly + anemia can equal mycoplasma infection (feline infectious anemia); mycoplasma is a type of bacteria with no cell wall. The distended abdomen is caused by the spleen swelling and the red blood cells are attacked by the bacteria and then destroyed by the white blood cells.

Other sympotoms of feline infectious anemia include weight loss, lack of appetite, swollen lymph nodes, fever, lethargy, and heart murmur caused by severe anemia.

Unfortunately, the tests are not cheap, so I can't help you there, but I wanted to let you know that this is another possibility for what may be wrong with your cat and that is curable with the right antibiotics (doxycycline).

Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Bowski, Jun 26 6:19 am

Food & Nutrition > Top 10 Recipes for Cat Food

Blackberry

Purred: Mon Jun 10, '13 4:40am PST 
In addition to BK's excellent suggestions you can try putting the gravy from the shreds onto a better canned food to trick him into eating that. Additionally, if you can get him to eat freeze dried cat/dog all meat treats like Pure Bites chicken, you can sprinkle some of them on top of the food.

Does he ever come looking to eat? Try waiting for him to show up wanting food instead of putting food down because it's meal time. Put a very little of the canned food that you want him to eat (with or without one of the suggested toppings) into his bowl and give it to him. Try staying with him, maybe sitting on the floor with him if he likes that, and encouraging him to eat. I've found with Blackberry that if I put too much food into his plate at once when he's in non-eating mode, he is more likely to just want to walk away than if it's just a small serving.

Have you tried any of the Fancy Feast flavors? I've read that they can be irresistable to some cats.

Best of luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Blackberry, Jun 10 4:40 am

Blackberry

Purred: Wed Jun 5, '13 3:57am PST 
P.S. I'm not so sure that giving him cream is the best idea.
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Church, Jul 7 1:00 am

Blackberry

Purred: Wed Jun 5, '13 3:55am PST 
I'm not an expert by any means on hepatic lipidosis (Alex is, hopefully she'll be along later) or on syringe feeding, but I do have a sick cat that sometimes requires lots of encouragement to get him to eat.

I too got some food to syringe feed him and he too struggled like a crazed thing during the process. Since your guy struggled so much at first when you syringed his food into his mouth, do you think it is possible that he could have gotten an injury somewhere in there that is making it painful for him to eat? Also, remember not to syringe food too quickly into his mouth so that some of it doesn't end up getting aspirated into his lungs.

Does Kip act hungry and then just not eat, or does he never even show up at meal times? BB acts hungry, but often won't eat, he'll just stare at his food and stare at the other cats eating. I've found that if I sit with him, talk with him, and keep tapping his bowl with my finger that he'll eventually take that first bite and then he'll keep on eating.

Have you tried sprinkling Fortiflora on top of his food; it's a probiotic, but it's great usefulness is that it is pretty much irresistable to felines. That worked for a while with BB to get him interested in eating.

I feel for you with him hiding from you because of the feeding. BB often runs away or flinches from me when I come near him or touch him now.

Best wishes, and I hope someone comes along who is more useful than me!
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Church, Jul 7 1:00 am

Cat Health > Severe Itching & Scratching

Blackberry

Purred: Mon Jun 3, '13 9:28am PST 
I second BK's suggestion of seeing a veterinary dermatologist. They can do both serological and skin testing for all sorts of allergies. You'd be surprised at the number of environmental allergies a cat can have, many of which are inhaled, so a bath won't remove the allergen.

Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 11 5:41 pm

Cat Health > Another Mystery.. Bile. Weightloss. No appetite.

Blackberry

Purred: Fri May 31, '13 7:41am PST 
Hi, I can't really help you very much, but I want to wish you luck. I too have a cat with a mystery illness that seems to get better/worse, better/worse, and no one can figure out the cause. This has been going on since January of this year.

Has anyone considered IBD? Has anyone tried prednisolone with him? Check out ibdkitties.net and http://pets.webmd.com/cats/inflammatory-bowel-disease-cats. I'm assuming that the vet has tried more than 1 kind of antibiotic? Have you tired switching foods, just in case?

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help.

Purrs,
Blackberry
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Merlin >PAWS< [In Loving, Jun 1 12:12 pm

Cat Health > Shempi's story (warning, very frustrating)

Blackberry

Purred: Sun May 19, '13 6:42am PST 
Well, for one thing, if he is FIV+ he should never be allowed outdoors unsupervised to spread the virus to other cats. And, anyone who adopts him needs to be notified of his status so that they don't unknowingly mix him in with their FIV negative cats.

As far as his care, he needs a very good diet, I personally would say grain free canned and it certainly can't hurt to give him lysine every day, omega 3's and 6's, etc.. He should live in a stress free environment too.

I've been reading that you don't really need to give FIV+ cats medication every day if they are asymptomatic. You just need to keep an eye on their health carefully and if they get ill with anything, bring them to the vet right away as they might have a very hard time dealing with bacteria and viruses without intervention.

There are tons of sites on the internet about FIV but check out these:

http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/fiv_in_cats.htm
h ttp://www.aspca.org/pet-care/cat-care/cat-care-feline-immunodeficien cy-virus.aspx
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/fiv.html

Best of luck,
Blackberry
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Shempi, RIP, May 20 9:58 am

Cat Health > i highly recommend Interferon for FIV+ cats!
Blackberry

Purred: Wed May 15, '13 7:12am PST 
Hi Precious. I just found this blog. I don't know if it will be of any help to you, it won't be with your question of sourcing Interferon, but I thought it was interesting. http://blogs.plos.org/dnascience/2013/01/24/my-cat-has-aids/

One of my cats may possibley have FIV so I found the blog looking around for information on respiratory symptoms and FIV. My cat too has constant mucus coming out of his nose along with sneezing. He's been on antibiotics and methylprednisolone as well as some other meds and they have only helped slightly. So far the FIV and FeLV rapid tests have all been negative, but we are awaiting the results of a western blot for a (hopefully) definitive FIV test result.

Purrs to you.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Jul 27 9:29 am

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.