Postings by Vincent

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Cat Health > Supplements for an immune supressed cat?
Vincent

Please- spay/neuter your- feline companion

Purred: Fri Aug 17, '12 6:52pm PST 
Thank you Norman. Strangely, with Velcro none of the veterinarians she saw recommended vitamin B injections. They just recommended a good diet, though our views of good diet are different since they wanted me to feed grain-heavy hardly any meat Science Diet, and L Lysine supplements. I will get some plain beef for him; would beef heart or a cut of beef be better?

Thank fully he's eating well, not dropping weight, and still has plenty of energy and playfulness.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Norman DB#93 2001-2013, Aug 18 12:59 am

Cat Health > Supplements for an immune supressed cat?
Vincent

Purred: Thu Aug 16, '12 7:38pm PST 
For those that don't know, Vincent came to us when a hoarder dumped him on the street; he literally came running into our home one night when we opened a door. We know he came from the local hoarder (that animal control can't deal with because they are underfunded and can't make so many court appearances) because she told us she had the cat and "there's something wrong with it. Get rid of it." Anyway, he was obviously never vaccinated or neutered, and he came to us with Feline Leukemia.

What supplements in addition to L-Lysine can I give him that will boost his immune system? What can I give (I'm not sure if raw is ok for a FLV cat) him that will help with blood flow and the anemia issues common with FLV cats? The veterinarians around here are trained by Hill's and Purina, so they push those foods as part of prevention, even though the ingredients are garbage.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Norman DB#93 2001-2013, Aug 18 12:59 am

Raw Food Diet > Feeding raw to an FLV+ cat?

Vincent

Purred: Thu Aug 16, '12 7:30pm PST 
When Vincent first stepped on our doorstep I figured I would feed him a half raw diet. But I kept reading over and over that raw wasn't good for cats with compromised immune systems, such as those with Feline Leukemia. Because parasites can get into the blood stream more easily in cats that are immune compromised.

But I've also read freezing raw meat will kill off parasites and most bacterias, but this was in regards to healthy dogs and raw.

Since all the veterinarians here are trained via Hills and Purina, those are the foods they swear by and push. So what is the real deal, is it better or worse for cats like Vincent, who come to us with compromised immune systems, to have a raw diet or worse? If it matters, he is an indoor cat.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by BK, Aug 22 5:49 am

Choosing the Right Cat > is there a wrong cat?

Vincent

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 8:49pm PST 
I think there is such a thing as the wrong cat (or any animal) for certain families. For example, if you have small animals, a cat that not only has an extremely high prey drive but really enjoys killing birds/rodents would be a wrong choice for that household. Or if a family is gone all the time, the wrong cat for them would be one that is extremely clingy and dependent.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by max, Apr 25 9:41 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > AKC Ch.Dog Owner Wondering About Purebred CFA Ch.Cats

Vincent

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 8:47pm PST 
Vincent (who is primarily Siamese) and other siamese cats/their humans have taught me that different breeds in cats also have "breed traits" like dogs. I didn't used to believe it, until I saw it with my own eyes. I'm being told my more and more Siamese/predominantly Siamese mix cat owners that Vincent is a "typical Siamese". Playful, energetic, talkative (mostly when he wants something), wants to be up high, and admittedly can be quite a pill when he's particularly curious or energetic.

That said, I will NOT get a cat from a breeder, because there are way too many being euthanized in shelters, too many coming sick to our doorstep (Like Vincent, and Velcro both did, and more have since but we can't take anymore in because Vince is FLV+), too many hoarders around here dumping their cats off, and too many being given away on Craigslist. If there wasn't this huge population of unwanted cats, and cats being euthanized, I'd consider it, but until then, I'll stick to my rescued cats.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Rory , Mar 6 6:25 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Vincent really needs a forever home (without smaller animals)
Vincent

Purred: Tue Oct 25, '11 5:30pm PST 
Vincent seems to be responding well to the squirt bottle (room temp water). He hasn't been harassing the small animals while we've been using it when he got near the cages. Even still, he cannot be trusted even remotely unsupervised. I still feel he is best off in a home without any temptation where he can roam free range or in a bedroom (ours has my fiance's rodents) when everyone is asleep.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Buddy Bolden, Oct 26 6:43 am

Laws & Legislation > Low income/unemployed people and pets

Vincent

Purred: Fri Oct 21, '11 5:08pm PST 
Harley, you are an angel. If the world was full of people such as yourself and your husband, imagine how little suffering there would be. hug.

I know what you mean Allie Kat. When I took in my first special needs rescue, I was floored by how much it cost in end of life care alone, trying to save her (unfortunately she was older, and her genetics were just too bad to recover despite literally hundreds spent trying to save her). Thankfully I've had some amazing veterinarians, with the help of a family member was able to get Care Credit, and am pretty good at budgeting. Because of the wonderful people who have helped me, I am able to continue doing rescue and sanctuary, even though I only extremely rarely get donations of any kind.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kizmet, Oct 21 6:13 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Vincent really needs a forever home (without smaller animals)

Vincent

Purred: Fri Oct 21, '11 4:53pm PST 
Important notes about Vincent:

Vincent is neutered, microchipped (Avid), and UTD on all shots.

Vincent tested positive for FeLV. Because of this he can only be around other FeLV cats, and MUST be an indoor only cat.

Vincent IS litter box trained (no accidents), and does NOT claw furniture. He does like to sit on window sills and the back of chairs though.

Vincent is extremely curious about smaller animals and is a great bug hunter. Because of this we are looking for a home for him without small(er) animals or birds.

Vincent is extremely human friendly, and gets a long very well with other cats (we saw him interacting with ferals and loose pet cats before we were able to take him in), and dogs. He will tell dogs off by batting at them (though he has never full on scratched our dogs or left marks on them) if they are harassing him too much.

Vincent is high energy. He loves to play and be active a lot. He does settle down for awhile later day and will calm down if he is offered a lap.

Vincent likes to be up on shoulders. We almost have him broke of jumping onto shoulders from the ground. But due to his high energy, never being around young children (that we know of), and liking to be on shoulders, we recommend him for families with older, respectful children. Even though he is not at all aggressive with people.

Since I run an animal sanctuary and rescue, I intended to keep Vincent as a sanctuary cat given that he had an FeLV test come back positive. But he is constantly harassing resident rescues who have been here for literally years before he showed up. We've tried positive reinforcement, spritzing with water, redirecting him, nothing is helping. He has plenty of toys, gets tons of attention,gets a lot of active play time, and he has free range of most of the house. I thought he would have settled down by now, but he's only gotten worse.

I suffer from anxiety and manic depression that I battle on a regular basis (medication so far hasn't helped, I've tried numerous medications and combinations over the years and have yet to find something that really works). And the stress of this making things so much harder on me. I took him in because he literally would have died on the street if I didn't, because the person that abandoned him went around telling people in the neighborhood he was sick and that they don't want him.

I normally wouldn't adopt out a special needs animal. But it's starting to look like he just isn't compatible here. The situation isn't really fair for anyone involved. Unless I can find a better solution, I really need to try to find him a forever home.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Buddy Bolden, Oct 26 6:43 am

Behavior & Training > Who else has a cat that thinks they're a shoulder parrot?

Vincent

Purred: Fri Oct 21, '11 1:58am PST 
We thought Velcro was a "rare breed" when it came to her behavior of being our cat who thought she was a shoulder parrot. She loved sitting on shoulders or draped across the back of the neck and shoulders, even while people were walking. As it turns out, Vincent also does this. Vincent is a Siamese mix so this does not surprise me, he also likes to be up in high places. He'll just ride on shoulders as we walk through the house.

How common is this behavior? Who else has a shoulder parrot of a cat? So far Velcro and Vincent have been the only cats between the ones my family had when I was growing up and the ones my fiance's family has had, that we've seen do this. Once in awhile at the local shelter a cat will want to sit on my shoulders but when I move they generally want to abandon ship.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Althea, PAWS, Oct 22 11:37 am

Behavior & Training > 4 1/2 month old kitten in heat?
Vincent

Purred: Fri Oct 21, '11 1:45am PST 
The earliest I've heard of was 5 1/2 months, are you sure she isn't older? Is she yowling a lot or acting over-affectionate? Usually cats are pretty obvious (loud) when they are in heat; we've had intact female ferals and strays around here, so unfortunately I know all about the loud frequent noise of female cats going into heat.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Pandora, Oct 24 7:56 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.