Postings by Ella

GO!

Behavior & Training > cat is very dominant and aggressive

Ella

Black is the new- black

Purred: Thu Mar 29, '12 3:55am PST 
Hello Ralphie! I have to update Ella's profile because I wrote it the week when I got her and things have changes since.. She sleeps in the room with us, on her favourite chair, every night, and sometimes comes to curl up in bed which is okay and sweet and no issue whatsoever. She gets closed out only when she wakes up during the night in an adventurous mood and starts knocking over everything and trying to climb on the TV (flat screen, relatively easy to knock down) which concerns me as it might fall while we're sleeping and not knowing she's there; or when she jumps on my face while I'm asleep sometimes with her claws out. I think it's more a call to play than an attack but it can be a bit scary..So I close her out of the room to play and use her energy in the other room, and usually in an hour or so she starts scratching and we let her back in..The carrier is for when she becomes really aggressive, and she usually spends 15-20min there and calms down. I also try to distract her with toys if i see signs that she is starting to stalk me and is ready for an attack, but she just has periods when she becomes very aggressive and she just won't give up, and attacks 2min after getting out of the carrier, twice she jumped out of the blue straight on my face and head and started biting and scratching without having been closed out or provoked in any way. My explanation is that maybe she is trying to impose herself, because sometimes she jumps on friends who come and visit and acts very dominant. 99% of the time she is gentle and loving and purring, and I'm far from wanting her to do things the way I want her to, I know she's a cat and must have her own way and that's all fine, until the point when she tries to scratch my face and I wonder if she'll jump on it in my sleep, that's not okay and is the only thing I can't tolerate in her behaviour frown it occurs about once a month and continues for a week or a bit longer...
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ella, Mar 29 3:55 am

Ella

Black is the new- black

Purred: Tue Mar 27, '12 2:19am PST 
Yes, I've heard of the show, and I'm quite sure they're showing it here as well (I'm in Europe) so I must watch it..I'm a first time cat mom so I'm far from being an expert in cat language and behaviour, I used to have a dog and it was a totally different story smile but I love Ella, she is the most adorable, beautiful and loving cat (99% of the time) and I really want to do a better job at understanding her needs.. yes, we have cat trees, and a lot of toys, her favourite being anything that hangs on a string, lasers, and she plays with virtually everything..I'd love to adopt another kitty to keep her company and be her friend, but the place is too small to make two cats happy..so for now she has only her human slaves as companions smile
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ella, Mar 29 3:55 am

Ella

Black is the new- black

Purred: Mon Mar 26, '12 6:32am PST 
Thank you for your replies. The measures of skipping a meal, as well as closing her in her carrier for a short period to calm down immediately after an attack have been the recommendation of my veterinarian, not my own imagination at attempting to resolve the problem. I think you (Mr Eko) are right about her having an excess of energy, I will play more often with her and take her for walks outside as much as possible, and I am hopeful the aggression issues will fade. I will post about the results shortly, thank you for the advice!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Ella, Mar 29 3:55 am

Ella

Black is the new- black

Purred: Thu Mar 22, '12 3:25pm PST 
thank you for the time to respond and the advice! I suppose you are right, she does get bored often and could use some more playtime, I will work on this as well as take her out on a leash now that the weather is warmer. She doesn't like to sleep in the bed with us but has a favourite chair in the room, I closed her out of the room for 2 nights due to her going so violent. Still, the way she attacks me is more than just playful, she grabs me with all four paws and scratches and bites and doesn't let go even if i try to pull her away and there's a lot of blood, daily, I don't think that's very normal even with her young age taken into consideration..I love her and I wouldn't want to scare her or stress her in any way, I want her to be a happy little black cat..but I'd like to have a more normal and relaxed atmosphere, I hope something will change soon and I will be a scratch-free mom smile
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Ella, Mar 29 3:55 am

Ella

Black is the new- black

Purred: Thu Mar 22, '12 3:37am PST 
Hello ladies(I presume)! My cat Ella's behaviour is becoming increasingly concerning lately and I am more and more at a loss as to what needs to be done. I found Ella in a park when she was around 4 months old and took her home. When she was about 6 months old she was spayed, before her first heat. Now she is almost a year old. She is very very sociable and curious and talkative and loving when she wants to be. The problem is that along with her not being shy at all, she is extremely dominant and has a big problem when things don't go her way. She had no problem sleeping in the other room when younger, now when I want her to sleep there and close the door she scratches at the door alllllll night long, accompanied with short meows. An even bigger problem is her aggression, she draws blood on me almost daily. When I scold her for something she looks at me, folds back her ears and launches an attack, at my legs, hands, arms, etc and simply does not give up. She attacks only me, I think she is afraid of my boyfriend. I tried ignoring, then spraying with water(she got used to it), closing her in her carrier for an hour, then skipping a feeding time(which is the only thing that works temporarily to calm her down, although sometimes she attacks me in her frustration, demanding what she wants), currently I am giving her 0,2-0,3 ml of Nutricalm daily..But I'm getting tired, worried and annoyed by her behaviour, I work with my hands(make up artist) and it's embarrassing to work with bloody scratches all over my hands. I would be very grateful for your suggestions smile
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Ella, Mar 29 3:55 am

Behavior & Training > Cat wants out??
Ella

Black is the new- black

Purred: Tue Oct 18, '11 1:21pm PST 
Thank you very much for your replies, I suppose I will have to keep her inside only after all.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ella, Oct 18 1:21 pm

Behavior & Training > Cat wants out??

Ella

Black is the new- black

Purred: Sat Oct 15, '11 3:25pm PST 
Hello everyone! I am new on catster, I took my cat Ella from the street about 3 moths ago and she is around 7 months old. She was spayed a bit over a month ago, but her ourbursts of madness wouldn't stop. She is very lovable and gentle, but there are moments in which the situation goes out of control. Her vet said she is a very dominant cat and would become aggressive and very annoying when things don't work her way. We live in a very small apartment, without a balcony, so I thought taking her out with a cat leash would be good for her. I hadn't taken her out for 'a walk' since before she was spayed so these days I did it a few times, and noticed a disturbing difference in her behaviour- she would just sit by the door and meow desperately and incessantly. I'm afraid I made a mistake by taking her out because before she didn't know there was an outside, full of smells and other cats and interesting things frown I don't know what to do, whether to establish some routine of taking her out or to not do it again so as not to stir her up further.. I really want her to be a happy cat, but I also can't afford to make a 'dog schedule' and take her out whenever she pleases. I've noticed that when we ignore her crazy behaviour it helps, but I really need advice on whether to continue taking her out or not, and how to stop the desperate meows by the door. frown
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ella, Oct 18 1:21 pm

Kitten Corner > 12 wk old kitten on a 3+ hour car trip?

Ella

Black is the new- black

Purred: Sat Oct 15, '11 3:01pm PST 
Hi Gipsy! I am new on catster but I thought I could share my experience in travelling with a cat. My cat Ella is around 7 months old and recently I had to leave for another country on a 9+ hour drive, and come back in two weeks. My cat is very dominant and aggressive when things don't go her way and gets anxiety attacks in the car even on a 20min trip, so I was facing a challenge.
I suppose I will be the only person to say it, but I actually HAD to keep the cat out of the carrier box, because she wouldn't stop meowing while inside. My vet recommended some plant extracts to calm her down(NB not to sedate her or make her drowsy, just to help her anxiety) called Liquid Nutricalm, and I must say they worked just fine, the cat was a lot more relaxed and slept on my lap (i have posted even a photo)most of the time. She wasn't allowed to eat 12 hours prior to the trip and during the trip, also no water during the trip. She had no needs whatsoever on the road, not even when we stopped from time to time. All in all both times it was a relaxing and clean trip. You might want to place a towel or blanket on the seats to protect the fabrics from getting scratched, another thing I also did was to have her cat leash handy in case she started climbing on the driver's shoulders and head smile
Well, I hope that was helpful, good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by ♥ Roxy ♥, Oct 16 8:36 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.