Postings by Nestle

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Cat Health > Third Eyelid Showing?!
Nestle

Iz a predator!

Purred: Wed Feb 8, '12 10:19am PST 
I doubt it's a scratch if it's both eyes. If it's just one eye, I would say yes, scratch. It's also a sign a the feline herpes virus. Sounds much worse than it is, but, it's basically a cold virus. You should take him in for some eye ointment and possibly an antibiotic so it doesnt turn into something else.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 10 2:19 pm

Cat Health > Nestle admitted at the vets office
Nestle

Iz a predator!

Purred: Wed Feb 8, '12 9:57am PST 
Thanks everyone! She's getting better every day! She ate almost her full amount of food this morning and everything.

I just have to say again how much I love my vets office. The called yesterday, and again today to see how Nestle is doing! happy dance
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Nestle, Feb 8 9:57 am

Nestle

Iz a predator!

Purred: Mon Feb 6, '12 7:29pm PST 
Thanks everyone! Im happy to say that Nestle ate some dinner tonight which makes me feel much better! Not nearly as much as she usually eats, but I'll take it! She's also up and walking around much more so I know she's feels better all around. She's still not back to herself yet, but I think the fluids the Dr gave her helps a lot and the meds are starting to kick in too! happy dance
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Nestle, Feb 8 9:57 am

Nestle

Iz a predator!

Purred: Mon Feb 6, '12 12:00pm PST 
I just got Nestle back from the vets. The vet said it's a bacterial infection, most likely from getting some feces on her paws in the litter box and grooming herself. (time to go sterilize the litter box again...)

My vet is awesome and totally supports me feeding my animals a raw diet, which is GREAT! Although I agree that there are too many vets out there that hear "raw diet" and stop listening to anything else you try to tell them. She doesn't think the raw diet is to blame but we may have to re-evaluate that if this becomes a recurring issue as it could be an indication that she's just not able to handle it. She really doesnt think thats the case though and based on what I told her, she's happy with the diet Nestle is getting.

The vomiting was definately just that, vomiting. It was dark bial in the morning before she had even been fed her breakfast so I knew it wasnt a reaction to something she just ate.

The vet put Nestle on Chloramphenicol for 7 days and she has a follow up progress check in 2 days on Wednesday. It's unclear if it was salmonella, e-coli, or campylobacter, but the vet said that either way this antibiotic will take care of all three, so it doesnt really matter.

She said Nestle is in otherwise perfect health and she doesnt think this is the start of a significant issue, which is mildly reassuring, but you can bet Im going to be watching her and her bowl movements even more closely for a while!

Im just so happy my baby is back home already!
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Nestle, Feb 8 9:57 am

Nestle

Iz a predator!

Purred: Mon Feb 6, '12 9:01am PST 
So, Im a total wreck! Nestle, my 1 year old Snowshoe, is at the vets office right now hooked up to an IV. Friday morning she threw up 5 times in less than 2 hours and then she just stopped eating like usual. I called the vet Friday morning to try to get her in right away, but the earliest they could see her was Monday morning. She's on raw and is usually the first to the food bowl and I've had to start feeding the 2 cats separately in a cage because she would eat all her food and then move on to try to eat Archer's too. The last 2 days, I've hardly gotten her to eat more than a Tbs of EVO wet food a day. She's also the type of cat where under normal circumstances, she'll come up and lay on your feet, roll over and want her belly rubbed. The last couple days she hasn't wanted to be touched, let alone rubbed! Totally out of character for her!

I took her to the vet first thing this morning and when I took her out of the carrier, her little bum rubs against my hand and my hand came away with blood on it! Needless to say at this point I just about lost it! The vet said she didn't feel like anything was impacted, but she did feel a stool in her colon and was concerned if Nestle was able to pass the stool. She's also thinking there's some kind of infection going on since she has a fever of 103.2. She's thinking possibly salmonella or e-coli that may or may not be related to the raw food since even the highest quality poultry can have salmonella.

She's keeping Nestle at the hospital for a few hours at least to hook her up to an IV and help her get re-hydrated, start her on anti-biotics and to give her an enema to see if she can pass the stool in her colon and determine if something else is going on.

I asked her if Nestle is having a hard time with the bones from the raw, and she wasn't sure, but she's going to check if there's any sharp pieces in the stool that could have caused this.

Im just so worried right now and will be so upset with myself if I caused this and ended up hurting my little baby by the choices I made for her.

Is there anything else you can think of that I should ask the vet? I love my vet, but Im always looking for more thoughts.
[notify]

» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Nestle, Feb 8 9:57 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > A Note In Favor Of Taking A Chance
Nestle

Iz a predator!

Purred: Mon Jul 25, '11 12:06pm PST 
I didnt come from a shelter, but that was only by luck (or so they say) I came to my mom in pretty rough shape though. My fur-mom was one of about 80 purebreed cats some crazy lady in NY had. Most of which were like my mom and not fixed so they couldn't have more kittens. Long story short, the crazy ladies house got fleas and she flea-bombed the house with my fur-mom and all her friends inside. My fur-mom was one of the lucky ones that lived, but, she was already pregnant with me and my 4 brothers and sisters. Long story short, my fur-mom and her friends were placed in temporary homes and my fur-mom ended up with this other crazy back-yard breeder lady... I will say this. This new lady was at least well intentioned, but, didn't know nearly as much about cats as she thought she did. In the end, only my sister and I lived.

My mommy had been looking for a siamese kitten to keep my big brother, Archer (Archer is the one who usually posts on the Catster forums), company and came across an add for Snowshoes needing a home. She came to see me when I was only 7 weeks old and of course, how could she NOT fall in love with me. I could see the pain in her face at having to leave me there with my fur-mom for another 2 weeks. The 2 weeks went by really slowly and I was starting to not feel very well. Luckily, my Mommy came to get me just in time. I had started loosing a lot of weight because the other lady was giving me cows milk to drink and feeding me whatever cheap food she could get. There were over 20 cats in the house and this lady just had more than she could handle... My new mommy explained to me that kittens shouldn't drink milk and after I got used to this whole water thing and transitioned over to raw food, Im never going back!

My mommy took me right to the vets and after a couple weeks of good food and nasty stuff in the dropper and the goop all over my fur that Mommy assured me would get rid of the itchy ringworm I had, I was finally feeling better and got to meet my big brother, Archer and the 9 yr old human kitten here!!! I sleep every night curled up in mommys arms and wake her up every morning licking her hand. Then I spend the whole day next to her while she works.

Mommy always said that I was in BAD shape when I came here, but she knew in her heart that everything that was wrong with me could be fixed with time and love, and she was right.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jul 25 1:35 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Fail

Nestle

Iz a predator!

Purred: Mon Jul 25, '11 11:52am PST 
You could always try a live animal trap with some nice smelly wet food in it? Lord only knows when else you might catch instead though...
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Miss Elizabeth Bennett, Jul 25 12:00 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Shelter Never Told Me My Cat Had Kittens

Nestle

Iz a predator!

Purred: Mon Jul 25, '11 11:50am PST 
The actual person processing the adoption may not have known... A lot of animal shelters are run by volunteer staff who may only go in once or twice a week to help care for the animals and they take turns doing this on set days.

As for this not being in her records, that's kind of strange. Have you taken her to your vet yet?

I know Nestle was just spayed a could weeks ago and I can still feel the incision in her belly under her skin and she still has short fur where she was shaved. Does your cat have this? If not, I would be more inclined to say that the online profile was wrong. Either way, a trip to the vets office sounds like it's in order if for nothing else to confirm that she is in fact spayed so that you won't end up with an accidental litter in your house...
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Nestle, Jul 25 11:50 am

Siamese > Siamese lost color

Nestle

Iz a predator!

Purred: Mon Jul 25, '11 11:44am PST 
I know Siames color is actually dictated by a gene that's activated by cold... Which is why they're ears, face, limbs and tails are effected. If you look at a heat reading on anyone, those are usually the coldest pasts of the body. At 14 years old, that's quite old. She could just be going "grey" or there could be a change in circulation patterns. Given the age, Im votng for a normal change in coat due to aging...
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Angel Sandy, Oct 21 6:48 pm

Snowshoe > Help I now paralysed
Nestle

Iz a predator!

Purred: Thu Jun 16, '11 6:52am PST 
Hi Rocky,

This forum doesnt get a lot of action from what I can tell. You may want to post this in the Cat Health section as I think more people will see it.

I'm sorry this is happening to you though and I hope the meds help and you feel better soon!!!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Nestle, Jun 16 6:52 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.