Postings by Hanna *I miss you my big girl!

GO!

Senior Cats > Keeping an old kitty healthy

Hanna *I- miss you my- big girl!

I miss you too- mom...

Purred: Wed Jan 25, '12 6:45am PST 
When I lost my Hanna, I did tons of research. I didn't even have a cat anymore, and I was researching nutrition, the meds she was on, her symptoms, anything that would help me understand what happened. It was a couple of years ago now, and at the time I never really spoke up or questioned anyone. I thought that vets were very smart, truthful people. Its sad to say that from Hannas death, I no longer trust vets. Except for the vets I have now. It took her death for me to speak up, to ask questions. I learned the hard way. Now with Hunter, I'm doing all I can to make him as healthy as possible.

As others have said, its unrealistic to think he could never get a brain tumor like Hanna had. Its not smart to think he'll never get a disease. However, I'm trying my hardest to prevent that if I can.

The best advice I can give you is always get a 2nd opinion, unless you trust your vet with your own life. Research everything from meds, to how much medicine, reviews of medication, alternative drugs etc. After my Hanna was gone, I found out that my previous vet gave her too much miligrams of the pill she was on, which caused Glaucoma in her eyes. This all let to a fast growing brain tumor. All of this started with a UTI.

All she ate was Science Diet, which led to her obiesity, that meant she couldn't clean herself, which led to the UTI. For Hanna, everything had a reason and a purpose. If I only knew SD was crap food, she would probably still be here with me. It took a long time for me to not blame myself, although inside, I still do. Now I have Hunter to distract me most days. I am going to do better for him. He deserves it.
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Patricia, Apr 15 8:27 pm

Grooming > Cat Dandruff

I miss you too- mom...

Purred: Tue Jan 17, '12 8:07am PST 
My Hanna (an angel now) had dandruff. Nothing would get rid of it. I would brush her and it would actually seem to get worse. The one suggestion I have, is to feed her exclusively wet food. Try it out for a bit and see how that works. Maybe she needs higher quality food. shrug
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Sep 3 12:06 am

Cat Health > Questions about spaying

I miss you too- mom...

Purred: Fri Oct 14, '11 3:54am PST 
I was a wreck when my Hunter had to get neutered. I think I cried. (crazy huh?)I was really really over protective back then. Now, I'm ready to kill him most days. Anyway, I remember when Hanna (an angel now) got spayed. She wasn't ready to go in heat or anything but I wanted to prevent that entirely. Back then I don't think they had dissolvable stitches. I remember she had black stitches down her belly, which was shaved. She had to wear an E-collar to prevent her from licking it. I also remember the vet emphasizing that she can't jump for 3-4 days. I guess if they jump really high, or stretch a certain way, the stitches can open up. Especially now, when most just use glue. Its really important to keep them quiet. Some pet parents even put them in a very large crate for a few days. Its definately more involved for females as it is for males. Hannas personality never changed. She was a very mellow cat and stayed that way. Was extremely affectionate toward me until the day she died.

Males on the other hand, it literally takes 5 minutes. My Hunter never even had stitches. Although trying to keep him calm is a completely different story.

I know its hard to not worry about your baby. Research everything before going through it. Definately helps with what to expect. Don't worry, she'll be fine!! way to go
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tink the Cat, Oct 14 7:37 am

Senior Cats > The Right Time

I miss you too- mom...

Purred: Fri May 13, '11 6:46am PST 
Oh Remy, I know how it is. I had to put my Hanna down a little over a year ago. I put it off as long as I could. I was devistated! I really didn't have time for her sickness to actually "sink in". She was diagnosed with a UTI and then three weeks later, she died of a brain tumor. I never in my life thought that someone, or any living creature could be in perfect health and die that fast. I shouldn't say die, she didn't go on her own. I had to put her to sleep, which deep down makes me feel like a murderer.

Hannas Story (shortened)
Week one: diagnosed with a UTI, was prescribed Zeniquin
Week two: UTI cleared, left eye dilated. Was told to bring her to an opthamologist. Diagnosed with bilateral mild glaucoma, prescribed drops. Cause of the glaucoma: ZENIQUIN
Week three: both eyes squinting constantly. Can't find her food. Very wobbly when she walked. Tongue sticking out constantly and drooling EVERYWHERE! Brought her to her vet 3 times over that week and was told "she is fine" On Sunday, I felt as if she was gasping for breath. Then I knew I had to do something. Brought her to the ER vet, and she was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Had to put her to sleep.

During those 3 weeks, all I did was cry. I cried at home, I cried at work, people looked at me like I was mourning a parent or something. I don't have children of my own, Hanna was my baby. I felt as if no one understood.

Want to know how I made my decision to end her suffering? Well I just had that gut feeling that when I brought her to the ER I would be leaving without her. I knew what I had to do, but I needed to hear from a professional I was doing the right thing. He said they could operate, but there is no quarantee that she would make it. Then I asked if she was in pain, he said that her eyes probably burn from the drops, she was wobbly because the tumor was impacting her balance, and she hardly had any control of her tongue. I then asked him what he would do. He said it was my decision. I didn't want to hear that. I said if she was his cat, what would you do? He then said, I would end her suffering. So I did. And you know what, now that I think of it, I don't regret it. I was being selfish, I didn't want her to leave me. It wasn't about me, it was about her. What was best for Hanna. After seeing how she was living, I'm glad she isn't suffering anymore.

I don't think there is "The Right Time" if we all care about our cats deeply then our 'gut instinct' should tell us. I listened to mine. I just wish I knew about this site when I was going through all of that with Hanna, I could of definiately used the support and someone to talk to.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , May 27 2:46 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Am I doing the right thing?

I miss you too- mom...

Purred: Fri Apr 29, '11 5:33am PST 
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel. I had to put my Hanna down after she was diagnosed with a brain tumor. I don't think I ever cried so much in my life. She was my baby. I too said that I would never get another cat. I never wanted to feel that way again. However my heart was empty. I felt like I had a void that no one could replace. For two weeks I would come home from work looking for my Hanna, then I would remember what happened, and I would cry. Finally my sister had enough of my phone calls and I would always end the conversation with me balling my eyes out. So she brought me to a local animal shelter to look at the cats/kittens that needed homes. Thats when I found Hunter. The little fiesty white furball.

I thought to myself, should I get another cat? Then I thought, well 10+ years of happyness is better than 2 weeks of being miserable. While I was filling out the adoption papers I started to cry. I didn't want to replace Hanna. I didn't want people to think that she meant nothing to me and I got another cat just to have one. Thats not who I am. I purposely got a cat that didn't look like Hanna for that reason. I wasn't replacing Hanna, I was saving another cat from potential horrible parents and giving a kitten a home.

Hunter has been with me for little over a year now, and he is so completely different than Hanna. At first I almost resented him. Like I couldn't get close to him because I still wanted my Hanna. Deep down I thought he would be just like my Hanna. Oh boy was I wrong. Thats where I was stupid. I thought he would be just like her, and I wasn't thinking straight. Each cat is different. Remember that. Overall, I'm glad I got Hunter. He makes me smile everyday. I love him like crazy. However, I still think of my Hanna sometimes and my heart hurts. cry

It seems as if some higher power is giving you all these opportunities to get another cat. Things happen for a reason and you would be doing a great thing, giving a cat a loving home. But Remember, if you chose to help these cats, they won't be like Sable. Sable was special to you and always will be. These cats have their own individual personalities and you can't assume they'll be just like her. No one can replace your Sable. Maybe she is your guardian angel guiding you to help these cats. Good Luck in whatever you decide to do. little angel
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Sable - ~Love you Always~ , May 1 7:33 pm

Grooming > What to do about a cat with a dirty butt

I miss you too- mom...

Purred: Fri Apr 1, '11 7:35am PST 
Honestly, bring her to the vets and have them shave her *area*. You need to clean her butt plus the area *down there*. If not she will get really nasty bacteria, and get infections. Thats what happened to me, and within 3 weeks of infections, allergic reactions, and other issues, mom had to help me go to the bridge. Please Please, clean down there everytime she pee's/poops. You can use just a wet paper towel, or washcloth.

Good Luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Apr 4 7:41 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.