Postings by Allie Kat

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Cat Health > A Fountain for Christmas! (what should we get?)
Allie Kat

the world is my- play thing

Purred: Mon Nov 28, '11 6:32am PST 
Yay! I tell all my friends with kitties to get a fountain and I definitely agree with the kitty above who suggested stainless steel or ceramic. We had a plastic one and it gave Allie Kat a serious case of cat acne. That said, we got this ceramic one from petco which they all like:

http://www.petco.com/product/112616/Petco-Premium-Ceramic-C at-Fountain.aspx?CoreCat=firstinresult_catfountainsAugPRESS
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Allie Kat, Nov 28 6:32 am

Food & Nutrition > Water Fountains
Allie Kat

Purred: Sun Sep 4, '11 9:06am PST 
The water fountain is a big hit in our place. We had a Drinkwell plastic fountain which Kit Kat eventually stopped drinking from and it gave Allie a case of kitty acne.

A few months ago we bought a large ceramic one and it's great. It's heavy so the fur babies can't tip it over, it's easier to clean, Allie's acne is gone and it's big enough that all three of the fur babies can drink from it at the same time.

I highly recommend water fountains.
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Tigger, Oct 15 4:59 pm

Food & Nutrition > Most nutritious dry cat food?

Allie Kat

Purred: Mon Aug 15, '11 12:57pm PST 
We love Before Grain (wet and dry)!
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Frankie Sincatra, Aug 18 1:21 pm

Cat Health > Heat!

Allie Kat

Purred: Wed Jul 20, '11 1:35pm PST 
Thanks for the replies!

I live in an apartment so no basement. However, I did end up getting a free AC from a nice lady off craigslist- just in time too, today is going to be about 95 and tomorrow will be near 100!

Putting ice in their water bowls seemed to help nicely too. It intrigues them enough to drink out of it and they play with the ice cubes then use their paws to wet their heads (or at least that's what it looks like to me).laugh out loud

In our bedroom, we set up a window fan with a bowl of ice water in front of it and they lay in front or near that when they aren't in the AC cooled living room.

Thanks again guys!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by P.C., Jul 23 7:00 pm

Cat Health > Heat!

Allie Kat

Purred: Sat Jul 16, '11 3:48pm PST 
Well, it's about 90 degrees here and I'm wondering how to keep my little fur family cool. I've already tried the ice pack/frozen veggies wrapped in blankets/towels and placed on their bed but for some reason all three of them ran from the bed the minute I tried to put them on it.

However, there is ice in their water fountain which they love but I'm hoping I'm not missing anything. This will be our first summer together (and this summer is looking to be hotter than most even though I live in a place that has been known to get snow until May) so I want to make sure they are comfy.

-As an aside, they all look fine but I want to make sure they stay this way. smile
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by P.C., Jul 23 7:00 pm

Raw Food Diet > A Little Help?
Allie Kat

Purred: Tue Jun 14, '11 12:34am PST 
I noticed a few weeks ago that Cat and Allie started digging through the trash. One morning, we realized what they were after...the scraps of bones and uncooked meat I threw out when I cooked! laugh out loud

I actually tried the raw diet (before I got Cat) and Allie absolutely loved it but I'm lucky that my cats are not afraid to try new things. Problem was, my boyfriend and I were working and going to school so the time to prepare the cats (and ourselves) great food was gone. We feed them a mix of grain free dry and wet foods. With the discovery of my cats sniffing through the trash for me and my free time, I'd love to try raw again. I have some questions:

A) Allie had a habit of picking up a piece of meat and running off to another part of the apt to eat it. Anyway I can get her to stay in the kitchen with the food?
B) Kit Kat likes the raw food but I think the chewing was a turn off for her. I tried to cut it up into really small pieces but once she couldn't get it the way she wanted too, she'd stop eating. I don't have a grinder so do you guys have any suggestions to get her used to the chewing?
C)I'm confused as to how much they should eat a day and what kinds of meat I should feed them. I read the websites that are often posted on this website but I must be dense because I was still slightly confused so any more info will be helpful.

Thanks for reading my long post!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Olivia, Tanner, & Finn, Jun 14 8:33 am

Behavior & Training > moving

Allie Kat

Purred: Sun Jun 12, '11 12:49pm PST 
Along with the putting them in the bedroom thing, put some of their stuff in there as well (toys, bedding, litter box, food) and when you've finished moving things about, just open door and let them explore at their own pace.

If none of these things work, you could try Feliway.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Allie Kat, Jun 12 12:49 pm

Food & Nutrition > I can't stop thinking about my cats nutrition

Allie Kat

Purred: Sat May 28, '11 9:38am PST 
Good luck with the claws! My cats HATE trimming them and I'm pretty sure the only reason they tolerate it is because I give them treats after. laugh out loud

As for the fountain, it was an added expense for me and it's harder to clean than a stainless steel bowl but they hated the bowl so it's worth it to me but to each his own, of course.

Allie also eats cat greens. Not often but if we remember we get some seeds at the pet store, they grow pretty quickly and last for a few weeks. Kit-Kat hates them but if you leave a sandwich near her, she will try to eat the bread. shrug
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 28 11:37 am

Food & Nutrition > I can't stop thinking about my cats nutrition

Allie Kat

Purred: Wed May 25, '11 12:16pm PST 
Welcome to Catster!

I totally understand where you are coming from! Coming to this website helped me so much in understanding cat nutrition. However, I'm lucky in that my cats are not at all picky so they usually ate whatever I put in front of them while I was searching for a good combination of foods.

I found that companies are often willing to send a coupon for a free can if you want to try out different foods. It's how I stumbled onto Before Grain which my cats love. (I also got a free coupon for Innova which I try once the coupon come in the mail) I used to feed them both BG wet and dry but money got tight lately so I switched to Fancy Feast. Feeding wet and dry is a little easier on the pockets.

It's great that you're doing research and you care enough about your kitties to give them the good stuff. smile

(Also try looking into healthy treats too.)

PS. Water fountains are great. However, try to get a stainless steel or ceramic fountain. I had a plastic one and it gave Allie Kat a case of face acne and we noticed Kit-Kat would rather drink from our leaky tub faucet. Stainless steel is cleaner and doesn't harbor as much bacteria. Allie Kat's acne is now gone and all three cats drink (and play laugh out loud) in the fountain. If money is an issue, I found that the fountains were slightly cheaper on eBay and Amazon.

Good luck!smile
[notify]

» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by , May 28 11:37 am

Laws & Legislation > Low income/unemployed people and pets
Allie Kat

Purred: Fri May 20, '11 5:47am PST 
So many thoughtful responses! I think getting pets, like with most things in life such as having children, cars, houses etc, should be a thought out process. I know several people who just thought "aw kittens/puppies!" and got one without thinking of the cost and that they live for a long time and you can't just leave them alone for a week when you decide to go on vacation.

That said, I was never an animal person but when my boyfriend got Kit-Kat from a coworker who was going to take her to a kill shelter. She won me over. I suffer from bouts of depression so on most days, my cats are the only thing that can get me out of bed. We are both recent grads so money is tight but my cats have NEVER gone without.

We even adopted a third cat this past week. Our apartment looks like the cats have taken over but we gladly forsake the trips with our friends to Vegas, Florida etc for our babies and we always put money away each week plus spare change in a jar (you'd be surprised how spare change adds up) in case of cat emergencies.

Kit-Kat ended up with a scratched cornea this past week that ended up costing about $200-250 in vet bills which we had because we saved up for it. But to be honest, even though I knew having pets wasn't cheap, I never knew just HOW expensive. smile We don't go on vacations or shop as often but we wouldn't change a thing.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kizmet, Oct 21 6:13 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.