Postings by Martini

GO!

Cat Health > DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE FELINE HYPERESTHESIA? HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOU TO BE DIAGNOSED?

Martini

Purred: Tue Feb 1, '11 8:58am PST 
My kitty was just diagnosed at 12. None of the vets we went to knew what it was. I will be starting her on transdermal Prozac this week so we'll see how it goes.
She has had it most of her life but it's getting really bad now with the episodes ending with her peeing somewhere in the house.

Best wishes.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Daisy, Dec 13 5:50 pm

Cat Health > Freaking out licking tail area furiously then pee at the end of the episode
Martini

Purred: Mon Jan 31, '11 5:00pm PST 
Update. Vet agreed and prescribed a trial version of transdermal Prozac. We'll see!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Lucy Nooner, Jan 31 8:23 pm

Cat Health > Freaking out licking tail area furiously then pee at the end of the episode

Martini

Purred: Mon Jan 31, '11 9:21am PST 
Martini was young maybe not quite as young as a kitten. I really think this is it. I was watching videos on youtube and it was like watching my cat. It starts as a twitch and glazed look in eye then the frantic grooming at the tail and darting all over the house.

Thanks again everyone!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Lucy Nooner, Jan 31 8:23 pm

Martini

Purred: Sun Jan 30, '11 9:01pm PST 
Yes. She is a purebred Siamese. Thank you so much everyone. I will mention FHS to my vet. I am so happy that someone else has seen this behavior and doesn't look at me like I am crazy! Cheers everyone! happy dance
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Lucy Nooner, Jan 31 8:23 pm

Martini

Purred: Sun Jan 30, '11 12:05pm PST 
Thanks to both of you for responses. The husband thing, I can work through that. (I don't think it will come to that but I feel it's close)
Psychological issues have been discussed and I did consult with a kitty behaviorist. My vet is calling me tomorrow with test results and I will ask about the meds. I am also getting all the cats set up with Frontline today just in case. She said you may not see fleas but just rule that out. (they are indoor only)
I already have one cat that I have to coach to the litterbox everyday. Just adds this to the craziness! eek Hugs everyone.
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Lucy Nooner, Jan 31 8:23 pm

Martini

Purred: Sun Jan 30, '11 10:07am PST 
Hi everyone. I am desperate need of advice. (My husband is close to making me chose between him and my cats) I looked through the forums but I could't find anything close.

Since Martini was a kitten, (now 12) she has these episodes that we call freak outs. It starts when she tenses up and has a glazed look in her eye. Then she furiously licks down near her tail area as if there is something crawling down there. She'll run in circles then all over the house hissing, growling, and panting with her tongue out. Almost like the worst panic attack you can imagine. They last anywhere from 5-15 minutes. About half the time, the episode would end in a pee somewhere in the house. (Never the box) After she peed, that was the end of it.
This was happening once or twice a week and the peeing was about twice a month. In the last year, it has become more and more frequent and she is freaking and peeing several times a week. My husband is ready to divorce me since she has ruined everything we own. (pillows, couches, mattresses, chair pads, etc.)
I take her to the vet very often and have gotten several opinions but they really don't know what this is. Her rear end glands are routinely expressed, treated for fleas, tested for urine crystals and stones. Nothing has changed in the house in the last year that would trigger these episodes almost every day at this point. Please, if you have any advice or know what this is, let me know. I don't want to lose my cats.
Thanks in advance.
[notify]

» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Lucy Nooner, Jan 31 8:23 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.